5.0 out of 5 stars Magic and Bird Together Again At Last, October 21, 2009
This review is from: When the Game Was Ours (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I thought it was really cool to see a book about the rivalry that brought us a new and improved NBA that was Larry Bird and Ervin Magic Johnson. The two, as you will see, could not be further apart in so many was as they were. They almost played on the same college team, you find out, but then they play against each other for years in so many venues.

The book is layed out so we have a target date or highlight date, whether it be the college finals, an allstar game or the NBA finals, you see each event as a time in history, from both of their perspectives and from those of others with a bit of history between events and from each of their lives. You learn a lot without brutal details about our two heroes. And really for some of us, that is just what they were. I hed the chance to talk to Ervin one day on the phone, really. He was a down to earth guy, and I thanked him for what he and Larry had done to the game. He said he heard that a lot. Interestingly, that was in 95, before he returned to play again. Who would have known that it truly was what got the game of Basketball back to what it could be.

Jackie MacMullan does a great job weaving and bobbing through the lives of both. Passing back and forth between the two of them and scoring with each chapter. (sorry, I just could not help myself).

This should go down as one of the most intriguing and best reads about pro basketball and even sports. This is a great book for those who experienced it, those who are interested in the game and even kids interested in the sport. It is written tastefully so young kids could read it.

These were two men of character that started off as fierce rivals and went on to mutual respect and became great friends. To see all of this behind the scenes and how the two of them kept their game great is a treat.

Highly recommend.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2009 3:42:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2009 3:46:04 PM PST
Do you know you and Schwinghammer are twins?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2009 7:27:46 PM PST
What does that mean? I hope you did not vote no because you think bad of me for some reason...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2009 11:10:56 PM PST
What I mean is you and another reviewer have what I believe is the same profile picture.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2009 10:53:48 AM PST
Hi Rick,

Got it.....not sure if you were referring to mike meyers schwing or something else......:-).

Anyway, looked at your reviews. You do some good stuff. How did you get the Magic/Bird book so quickly? Great story. So what does a Brooklyn boy think of the Yanks this season? Too about Los Angeles. The Dodgers choked. Oh Well. Joe

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2009 11:09:44 AM PST
Joseph:

Glad you asked the question how I got the book so early. Being a busy reviewer like yourself I always get dubious when someone has an "instant" review the day a book is released since there are many known scam artists that don't read the books like *Amazon-Madoff-Klausner*.. Here's what happened. I ordered this book MONTHS before the release date. Then out of nowhere I got an Amazon email that it was being shipped almost 3-4 weeks earlier than announced on the product page. Note: I am not a vine voice who get's books free and early. Now, from my experience (coincidentally all with sports books.) I've gotten about 3-4 other books earlier than stated in the last 2 years. Each of the prior early releases were always riddled with errors. (The absolute worst of them all was Golenbock's Steinbrenner book a literary abortion) So I was apprehensive that the Magic/Bird book would be more of the same and I would be disappointed but as you can confirm that was not the situation thank goodness with this one.

----
Totally saddened about the Dodgers and like 90% of the baseball world am rooting against the greatest team money can buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2009 3:50:59 PM PST
Glad you got a good copy. Did you read That First Season about Lombardi? That was a great read. I did not know he was with the Giants before he was with Green Bay. He was the Offensive Coordinator and Tom Landry was the Defensive Coordinator. Who would have thought that tow of the best coaches of that era worked together? Too bad the Giants had to wait so long for someone like Parcells to turn them into a winner again. I grew up a Mets fan, my family was mostly Giants fans since they went to and my Grand Dad worked at the Polo Grounds back in the day. Living on the West Coast seeing the Dodgers each year has been a blast. Still one of the best stadiums in the world of baseball.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2009 4:05:16 PM PST
Joseph:

If want to read a good book about the New York Giants football team and how they became champions in the 50's and 60's read "GIANTS AMONG MEN". You can check out my review. I did order "THAT FIRST SEASON" as soon as I saw it was available which was about 3 months before its release. When I got it it had about 30 vine voice pre-reviews so I stuck it in the bottom of my to read list and still haven't read it. No need to rush if it's released to the public with 30 reviews already. Amazon and the publishers may think that giving away free copies to vine reader's increases sales but I normally never buy the book if it's a vine previously delivered item. That's why it was a unique set of circumstances when I received the Bird/Magic book early and I had no idea it would be a vine give away item.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2009 4:13:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 6, 2009 10:41:51 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2009 7:17:30 PM PST
Joseph:

I can't believe it, now I found (without trying or wanting to) a "triplet" of yours. Yep! Same exact picture in someone else's profile. What is it with that picture? Now I'm curious as to the origin and/or meaning??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009 6:27:40 AM PST
Hey Rick, I think they are using the Amazon pic that was available at the time. Kind of John Waynish, yet, I do look a little like that when I smirk, if I do.....joe did you see the magic/bird interview last night on ESPN?

Joe
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (232 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01