ARRAY(0xd9129c94)

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, April 8, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Seriously, you cannot buy a better smartphone at this price. I purchased mine at my local corporate AT&T store for $99 during the pre-sale. I received the phone on Friday the 6th and as someone who has had Blackberry's, Windows Mobile (old versions), several Android devices and even tried an iPhone for a while, this is the best phone I have ever used.

The phone itself is solid, well built and has a great feel to it. It is heavier than some other phones, but that is actually a good thing. No plastic feel here. The screen is a nice 4.3" inches which to me is the sweet spot. Not too big yet not too small. I think the iPhone's screen is a bit too small and some of those 4.7 inch screens just are a tad too big. My previous phone is a HTC Inspire which also has a 4.3 inch screen. It is also is easy to read and see the screen in the outdoor sunlight. Something my Inspire struggled with.

This is actually my first Windows Phone 7, so I am new to the whole OS.

Setup - A breeze!!! No need for instructions or looking online, this was very intuitive. Email setup with my Corporate Exchange server was as simple as putting in my email address and password. Magically, everything started syncing, contacts, email, calendar, task, etc. I also setup my Gmail and Hotmail accounts within seconds. I saved all of my photos from my old phone to a MS SkyDrive account. Log in to your Windows Live account on your phone and everything is there. No hassle, no mess, no worry.

Apps - Yes, the reports are true, there are less apps in the Windows Marketplace then on Google's or Apple's. Before deciding on giving this phone a chance I checked the Windows marketplace to see what apps I would miss if I did move. There are some, but nothing that was a deal breaker for me. Your mileage may vary, and I recommend you do this as well before jumping into a Windows device. Most of the major apps are there for me and in fact, some are so much better on the Windows phone. They take nice advantage of not only the Live Tiles on the home screen but the apps seem more integrated into the OS. Check ESPN, Fourquare, CNN, and some other major apps. You will be pleasantly surprised.

OS - I was absolutely surprised on how much I like this OS. It is just better than Android and favorably compares to iOS. It is fluid, fast and very responsive. Gone for me is the constant lag of Android and the same old bunch of screens with icons. It may not be for everyone, but if you give it a fair shake, I think most will like it. The integration with Office and the ease of email setup is fantastic. The onscreen keyboard beats any keyboard I have used in Android and the iPhone.

Phone - Obviously, this is a phone so that functionality is important. I actually really liked my Inspire and I am a fan of HTC phones, but I found myself constantly dropping calls and lately it seemed to get worse. I also was doing hard resets on the phone every couple days (turning off, battery out) just to get things working again. With the Lumia 900, areas where I knew the calls would drop because they always have, did not. The call quality is great. People on the other end of the line say I sound much better than I did with the HTC. I also had a maximum of 2 bars of signal in my home with the HTC, on the Nokia I get at least three and sometimes 4. I also have yet to drop or miss a call on the Nokia, something I was so used to happening on the HTC daily. Speakerphone is loud, louder than the HTC which is great when driving. BlueTooth setup took seconds in my car and I was able to play Zune through BT onto the car audio system easily. I am new to Zune as well, but they seem to have a great selection and I could only find one band not on Zune that was on iTunes. Obviously iTunes has the edge here, but Zune is no slacker.

Battery - Inspire - max 5 hours before it has to be charged, and this is typical of most android devices. This phone has gone on for over 13 hours without a charge and still has juice in it. This week during work will be more telling of the actually battery performance, but it is much better than the any Android device I have used.

All in all, this is a great phone and one I can recommend to just about anyone. Would I recommend moving from iPhone to WP7, maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much you like the iPhone. The iPhone is a great phone, no denying that but for me, I prefer a larger screen, and until the iPhone 5 comes out with a larger screen, its just not for me. Would I recommend moving from an Android device to WP7 -- absolutely. Give it a try and you might like it better. Android has its strengths, but WP7 is more polished and faster and just works better.

This may be the phone that gives Microsoft and Nokia the push they need to become a contender.

4/10/2012 Edit: Took the phone off the charger around noon today and have used it moderately today (couple calls, facebook, twitter, streaming about 1hrs worth of music off Pandora, very few SMS messages, about 200 email messages and about 40 replies, WiFi radio on all day, but no connection so cell only). It is now 12:23 am and I have 62% remaining on my battery. SO 12 hours and more than 50% of my battery remaining. On my HTC the same usage would drain the battery down to 60% in about 2-3 hours or less. No more tied to a charger constantly during the day.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2012 7:57:06 PM PDT
Great review. Thank you. How is your reception in and around the Tech Center? I've had AT&T in the past, but could not believe how poor the coverage was in the DTC. Also, I know that AT&T has not deployed LTE to Denver yet, but rely on their "4G" HSPA network. Any feedback on network speed? Hopefully coverage and speed have improved. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 11:21:49 PM PDT
K. Struck says:
AT&T in the DTC is probably better than it was just a couple years ago. I know of three new towers that were put in around the area in the last 18 months. I drive to Cherry Creek from the DTC (where I live) to work a couple times per week. I noticed that around the 225 exit I would drop calls with my HTC. I was not on the phone during my drive today downtown so I am not sure this phone makes any difference.

LTE in Denver is not coming for a while, at least 6 months from what a rep told me. Who knows if he has any clue or not. A year ago a rep in the store told me we would have it no later than the end of 2011...so who knows. So the data speeds are typical of HSPA+ right around 1-2 mb downstream and slow upstream, but it could be worse and sometimes it is a bit better, but it is no LTE which I know is very fast in some areas.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 9:47:25 AM PDT
G. Elias says:
Appreciate you describing how much battery charge your phone has throughout the entire day..

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 11:06:57 AM PDT
Aristoteles says:
I do not know if they did the firmware upgrade in the US yet, but here in the UK the effect was dramatic. I took my phone off the charger at 12:00 noon, did a 45-minute phone call and emailing and web, and the following morning I still had 3 hrs left. With the previous firmware I used to get hours less, so firmware upgrades do matter. I suspect, though, that Nokia has taken care to provide the best possible version for its US launch.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 2:13:50 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 4:34:46 PM PDT
G. Lopez says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 4:55:09 PM PDT

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 7:37:39 AM PDT
Al says:
I'm only commenting on the Windows Phone OS. I'm looking at this device, but the OS is wonderful. I'm tech geek and this OS just works. I've had a HTC device since September 2011 and I use it constantly. I have some non geeky family members and they like it too because it's so straightforward. Also, I don't spend much time fiddling with things as it is very well designed. I know some people complain that the Windows phones SEEM underpowered (CPUs, memory, etc), but it's because the OS doesn't need dual-core processors, etc. I can't say enough about Windows Phone and I hope they do very well! Feel free to ask q's.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 12:11:02 AM PDT
Wait Pandora you say? On the Windows Phone 7 platform? The app has not been released on WP7 yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 7:20:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 7:25:50 AM PDT
K. Struck says:
Use Radio Controlled. Its for WP7. It lets you login to your Pandora account via the app and you can stream Pandora, access your stations, and everything else. Also looks cool.

Also take a look at WpFandora.

Enjoy.