1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly disappointing, November 19, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
My son and I enjoyed the original LEGO Indiana Jones immensely and were very excited about the sequel. We preordered it months ago and counted down the last few days until it arrived. Unfortunately, this game lacks any of the charm or fun of the original.

There are a ton of lengthy cut scenes and simplistic levels. Unlike the Star Wars, Batman, and Indiana Jones (original) games, there is not a single base where you can buy stuff, see the artifacts you have collected, and choose to replay any of the levels. Instead, you wander around composite levels for each adventure with huge green arrows showing you where to go to enter one of the levels. Except when they don't show you the big green arrow and you are instead left to wander around until you happen to trigger a new level -- the whole thing makes no sense with no clear progression.

Within a few hours of starting, my son had already run into a bug that prevented him from being able to complete a level. One of the on screen characters magically teleported himself outside of his prison cell, and once there could no longer run to the back of his cell leaving you the opportunity to grab the key from him. After much frustration, I convinced my son that he had to quit the level, abandoning his progress, and return. Sure enough, when we returned to the level the bug was resolved and we were able to grab the key and move on. The Batman game showed similar quality assurance defects -- such as random lockups -- and this game is following the same downward trajectory.

The levels we have seen this far are largely free of puzzles. They generally involve smashing everything and collecting studs. The treasure chests that were so much fun to collect in the earlier game are not present here. Apparently there are some chests that can be collected in the base levels, but those are a tiny fraction of the number of puzzles in the earlier game.

Instead of puzzles, we have seen a number of levels where it is completely unclear what you are supposed to do. Sure, we run around smashing stuff, but collecting studs won't get you out of the level. Instead, you'll see icons for some number of vehicles that you need to destroy, but apparently there is some special way you need to destroy them in order for it to count. We have already seen two such levels where we have destroyed every vehicle we saw but for some reason those didn't count -- you had to be in the right vehicle (presumably mirroring the movie?) when smashing those other vehicles for it to count. For a child who doesn't think like a programmer, this is ridiculously frustrating.

One of the features we most looked forward to was the ability to split the screen so that two players could each explore different areas of a level. Unfortunately the implementation of this is so bad that it is actually a detriment to game play. When the screen splits, the programmers wanted to make sure that it could seamlessly rejoin, so they are always adjusting the perspective of the two halves so that they line up with one another. This means if you are standing still, lining up for a tricky jump and your partner is running around in another area, your half of the screen will rotate to reflect your relation to the other player and you will jump in a direction that you hadn't expected. Worse, the screen always splits with a diagonal line, which looks nice but makes it impossible to see where you are going when you need to drive upwards in one of the vehicle levels. It really feels like they advertised this feature before fully testing it... if they tested it at all.

When we preordered this game, we gave our copy of the Original Adventure to one of my son's friends, figuring that the new game would be a superset and include all the content from the prior game. Not so. Once we unlocked Raiders of the Lost Ark and tried starting that, we were horrified to discover that they had deleted the Temple Escape scene, replacing it instead with a lame cutscene where Indy tosses the idol to Marcus and a giant boulder rolls over him -- in the college.

Finally, a warning to parents. LEGO made the _same_ mistake with this game that they did with Batman. When my son discovered the Batman game, he really wanted some of the Batman sets, but LEGO pulled them all off the store shelves at about the same time and the aftermarket prices are absurd. This new game features the Crystal Skull and a lot of sets from that movie... just when LEGO has discontinued them and is selling off the remaining stock! So if you do buy this for your child, be prepared for the disappointment both in the game, and in the fact that it is a glorified advertisement for products that you won't be able to get your kids.

The worst thing about this game is explaining to my son that the problems are with the game, not with him. When he runs into bugs, levels where the objectives are completely unclear, or insanely hard challenges, he gets extremely frustrated and angry with himself. If you want you child to grow up with positive gaming experiences, skip this one and get a Mario game instead.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2009 1:35:44 PM PST
Steve Gordon says:
Wow - that's disappointing to hear. Thanks for extensive review. I am in the same boat as you. My daughter and I have all the Lego games and enjoy them thoroughly. Although we bought the guides to avoid potnential frustrations with the puzzles.

I was a little skeptical about them making a new version of Indiana Jones when there was only one addditional movie (which was rather poor IMO). I guess I will wait to until the Lego Harry Potter game comes out and possibly buy this game used off a reseller. Seems like this game has major potential to be a Wii failure that you can buy for $20 in a few months.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2009 5:23:47 AM PST
Maek says:
Thanks for the detailed review. I was excited about this as well, but I was going to hold out for about 6 months as previous LEGO releases typically go down in price considerably by then. Because of your review, however, I won't bother; they took a tested, tried, and true formula...ruined it...and made it unplayable in the end.

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 9:06:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2009 9:07:14 AM PST
What more can be said, but what a bummer. I too noticed the cheapening of the game starting with Batman, which we got bored with and never finished. Too bad about this game.

Actually, one could even argue that going from SW to Indy 1, there was not as much to the game, although my family actually prefers the Indy game.

Hopefully, the developer will take some notice and also hopefully, buyers will read a review before wasting money.

Big thanks to the reviewer!

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 9:48:58 AM PST
Matt Shell says:
I have no idea what game you are playing. I love it and in fact, feel totally comfortable calling it the best LEGO game so far. Retelling the content from the origional 3 movies means everything is fresh and new and has that great LEGO charm and humor. The split screen is so good, I see others implementing the feature the same way. It is totally seamless and really allows for the freedom to explore the way both people want to. And the editor? Creating my own levels is def one of my favorite parts. For me games these days are all about replayability. I'm not spending $50 to play a game for a day. All the new levels plus the editor means there is SO MUCH CONTENT! You are absolutley entitled to your opinion (heck, this is the Internet), however I feel you are really off base with your comments. Best LEGO game to date.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2009 11:23:13 AM PST
Go Heat! says:
Looks like IGN didn't like the game that much either, and mentioned the same problems you did. See http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1047415p1.html

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009 2:02:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2009 2:03:09 PM PST
billymac72 says:
Seems to me like Lego decided it was time to try something new, which is understandable, but not virtuous in itself; what matters is how well it works.

I too greatly miss the old format and hope they recognize the errors of their ways (No store? No canisters/treasure chests? No artifact room? No freeplay mode?!!). It definitely has some neat ideas, but a complete overhaul of the old format was totally unnecessary and too drastic. The organization of the older games was beautifully realized. This game is kind of like Los Angeles: nothing centralized to unite the city with a little bit of everything thrown all over the place.

All the same, it's a Lego Indy game and I'm enjoying playing it, but it's just not quite the same.

Posted on Dec 19, 2009 1:34:42 PM PST
Hen says:
Great review, thanks.

Will definitely hold off on this and wait to see how Harry Potter does :) While my son and I enjoyed playing Batman and Indiana Jones together more than the Star Wars pair, we replay the Star Wars pair far more often than the other two.

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 12:56:56 AM PST
I really wish I had read this review before buying the game, because everything you've said is completely true. D:
The levels are short, and way too easy to be much fun. There are no puzzles to solve. Also, the animation seemed crappier than the other Lego games, and Marion seemed more feminine and whiny than the original game.
I wish I could return this game.

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 12:12:04 PM PST
David Munson says:
Thanks for the warning.

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 8:00:43 AM PST
R. Brasher says:
It would be nice to know how old your son is. This was the first Lego game we ever purchased for the Wii. My 4 year old and I both adore it. Never having played the first one, I have nothing to measure it against. We have, however, bought Batman and Star Wars. I'm not very fond of either of those, but my son loves Star Wars. I did find the walkthrough online because it's been a very long time since I've played games of this nature. Had it not been for that guiding us through, we may have been frustrated.

On another note, we have had the game lock up probably 3 or 4 times. It will just stop all movement and hum. I don't know if the problem lies in the game or the console.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›