3.0 out of 5 stars Cutting against the grain, July 12, 2009
This review is from: On My Honor: Why the American Values of the Boy Scouts Are Worth Fighting for (Hardcover)
I caveat this commentary my mentioning that I am a current adult Scout leader, and my son is involved in a local Troop. I progressed through Cub Scouts to Bear rank, but did not go beyond that level.

I'm going to go against the grain and give this book a three-star rating, for the reasons explained below:

1. If you are involved in Boy Scouts of America, you are already going to agree with the basic premise of the book at least 80% of the time.

2. The most enlightening sections of the book are those that deal with the legal assault on the BSA. While this information is helpful and insightful, it's also shallow and doesn't address the full depth of this assault. I learned more about the legal assault on the BSA by reading the Wikipedia pages dedicated to this subject, which is very unfortunate.

3. Many of the pages in the book are 'filler' material... photo pages, a long list of colleges that have scholarships for Boy Scouts, etc. Close to 30% of the book is comprised of photos, the appendix on higher education institutions with Scouting-related scholarships, and the index.

4. Chapter 10 is dedicated to a survey that Governor Perry maintains demonstrates that scouting makes a difference in terms of the general attitudes that Scouts/former Scout have with regard to socially-conservative values. The survey does show a difference, but only slightly (often around a 5% difference). I would argue that Scouting does make a difference, but this survey shows that we (as adult leaders) are not doing enough to make a difference if the survey only shows (in many cases) only a 5% difference.

I recommend reading this book, but recommend checking out a library copy or borrowing one. If you send me postage, I will mail my copy to you. Seriously. I'm a bookworm and love my collection of books, but this one is really not worth hanging on to. It's not worth the purchase price, however.

The best thing about the book is that 100% of the profits are donated to BSA (according to the back jacket), otherwise, my rating would be lower.

Sorry, Governor Perry, I support your political position on many issues, but I can't recommend buying this book -- though it's good to skim for anyone interested in the BSA. Even so, it's probably going to reinforce what you already know more that it will provide new information to you.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]