4.0 out of 5 stars Adjusting the stand slightly causes it to fall flat., November 16, 2012
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Standing Leather Case, Onyx Black (will not fit HDX models) (Accessory)
UPDATED November 25, 2012
I decided to keep this case because I just don't think any other case could be as perfect as this one, save for the slip sliding away that it does on my tables and desks if I try to angle it only a little bit. The plastic/rubber strip on my case feels more like plastic than rubber so I'm thinking about cutting a very thin strip of that non-slip grip stuff in black and just using that when on a table top. The Fire fits so beautifully in this case and is so light and great looking that I can't bear to give it up. I upped the review to four stars because it's so elegant.

------------------
Original Review Below

This is a very attractive case for the 8.9 Kindle Fire. When the Fire is inside it truly looks beautiful in there and there's an elegance to it when closed. It's very thin and lightweight and could have been perfect. I think it's overpriced for what it is but the attractiveness of it I suppose can justify the high price tag.

Once I put the device in there, I was sold. But then I tried to use it as intended: as a stand. There is a rubberized strip that is supposed to provide traction in order to keep the case from collapsing from the tent shape when standing up. Since it is a gummy rubber, there should be some traction there to enable some leeway in the angle. Of course, you can't have an extreme angle because the weight of the device won't support that but there should be at least some flexibility in the viewing angle.

The problem is, the rubber is not soft enough to provide traction. There is little to no traction on the one I received. Perhaps it is a defect but I just don't know. I put the case in triangle mode to stand on my desk and the screen was at too straight an angle because my eyes were above the device. I adjusted it slightly by opening the stand a little more and immediately the rubberized strip slipped across the desk and the case collapsed flat down.

There is very little adjustability to the stand that I received. I will wait for more reviews to see if I just got a bum unit. I gave it three stars because the Kindle looks and fits beautifully but if we are truly stuck with essentially one viewing angle, then the case has much less functionality than I expected.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 3:26:48 PM PST
Great review. I will let you know if I have the same problem as you once I get mine on Tuesday.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 2:48:04 AM PST
Mark says:
Thanks for your post. And, I also appreciate your honesty. I, like you, many times am disappointed over items because they don't always function the way I would like them to. But your review also indicated that its positive attributes far outweighed the one negative one. I'm not ready to buy this case, and I do think could have been designed better for stand up viewing.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:15:39 PM PST
Ummmm, OK. I had to bang pretty hard on my glass top table to get the kindle to finally fall down. (at least 15 bangs on the edge of the table with a fist. O wood, or the leather inserts on my desk. NO. it does not slide at all. The edge is a hard rubber not plastic! Admittedly I only had the case opened about 10 to 12 degrees, any more and it will slide on glass. (I would give it 4 3/4ths stars! But then I am fooling with you! I love the case after replacing a much bulkier, cheaper, badly designed case with this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:02:41 AM PST
Anna O says:
My review was based on my personal experience with the product. That your experience was different does not invalidate mine. It's bizarre to see a response that uses "ummmmm" and has to use exclamation marks as if this is some type of argument to be won. It's not. It is a product review of an an item that I received, tested out and reported back my experiences. Again, that your experience differs from mine has no bearing on this review. Congratulations on getting a case that doesn't fall over or slide and collapse; I wish I got one of those too.

It's water under the bridge now anyway. I returned it. I couldn't stand the idea of paying $55 for something that had no real adjustability for me. I got the Moko case/stand which I already have for my 7" Fire HD and love it.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 11:52:13 PM PST
Miss Pisces says:
Thanks for the suggestion of using the grip material. I really like the looks and simplicity of the case and it seems no one is reporting a toxic odor emitting from it like so many other cases made in China. If I don't think it is thick enough to protect the Kindle during travel, I'll buy a beautiful handmade padded sleeve for it on Etsy! May do that anyway just for the extra pockets on the sleeve...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›