4.0 out of 5 stars Read This if You're Itching to Get Your Act Together, May 14, 2011
This review is from: No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline (Paperback)
What's the secret of success?

Self-discipline, of course. At least that's what self-help guru Brian Tracy claims in "No Excuses! 21 Ways to Achieve Lasting Happiness and Success." Tracy's latest book describes how you can use self-discipline to become a successful, "superior" person in 21 areas of your life.

Yes, Tracy does occasionally use the rather Nietzschian language of "superior people" vs. "weak and irresolute people." But his advice throughout "No Excuses" is so sound, and the book is so readable, that Tracy may just convert you into a self-disciplinarian by the last page. He certainly had me interested long before that.

What's Inside

Tracy quotes Elbert Hubbard to define self-discipline as "the ability to do what you should do, when you should do it, whether you feel like it or not." He tells you how to employ self-discipline in 21 well-organized, easy to follow chapters. These chapters are clustered into groups of seven, which in turn make up the three parts of the book.

Part I covers self-discipline and personal success. This part covers things like goals, courage, and persistence, and how self-discipline helps you master them. Part II tells you how to use self-discipline in business, sales, and finances. Part III talks about quality-of-life issues like personal health, fitness, and marriage, and how you can use--you guessed it--self-discipline to achieve success in those areas.

Each chapter features a number of end-of-chapter exercises to get you moving in the right direction. Unlike many other books I've read, these exercises are good. Tracy truly helps you figure out where you are in each area of your life, and what you need to do to find success. If you do all the exercises in the book, you'll make book worth your time and money.

Likes and Dislikes

Overall, I give "No Excuses" a ready thumbs-up. Tracy does a fine job of offering simple definitions of oft-foggy concepts like leadership, time management and character. He then tells you how to cultivate them using the secret sauce of self-discipline. Throughout the book, he uses studies, anecdotes, business concepts like the 80/20 principle, and self-help ideas like the Law of Attraction to support his points. It's an easy but profound read.

Two things about "No Excuses" gave me pause, although I don't believe they affect the quality of Tracy's advice. One, Tracy uses a lot of universal language without necessarily backing up where he got all of his ideas. "The Law of Concentration says that `whatever you dwell upon grows and increases in your life'" and "the core virtue of character is truth" are examples from the book. Perhaps it's self-help guru syndrome, but I did find myself wondering what gives Tracy, even with his years of study and experience, the authority to tell me what I should be doing in everything from my career to my marriage.

When I browsed Tracy's website to find out more about him, I discovered that he's actually a man of faith. This may explain that "universal truth" angle I picked up in some places.

Onto my second point, or digression, however you may classify it. Tracy's self-discipline reflects a well-honed Protestant work ethic. He advocates that you have, at the least, a full and productive day. After getting enough sleep, he writes that you should read something uplifting before getting out of bed. After reading, you get up and exercise. Then you go to work an hour early, work through lunch, and leave an hour late. Every day.

I can't imagine being relaxed, living like that. But there's little in the book about managing stress. I can only assume that what makes this kind of heavy schedule tolerable is the right mindset. That kind of mindset is really hard to cultivate, unless you had fabulous parents, or you're religious. And I can't help but think that for Tracy, that mindset is supported by God, though he doesn't mention anything about faith or religion in the book. A minor gripe, considering that it's a good book overall, but I'd feel remiss not to mention it.

Conclusion

"No Excuses" is a very good self-help tome. It's motivational by virtue of being simple, effective, and, I'm guessing, quite true. I'd recommend it across the board, especially if you're itching to get your act together. (Book review by Drea Knufken)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2011 9:25:53 PM PST
liferev says:
Great review - well thought out points, and excellent summary. Thanks for taking the time to write it!

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 3:59:22 PM PDT
I particularly appreciate the point you make about how you can't imagine living relaxed if you followed all of his advice. Well said. Especially if one has kids in the house.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:12:20 AM PST
Rosie2U says:
I enjoyed this review and found it to be very helpful. Thank you. I'll now buy the book.

About the hard work issue, well, I haven't read the book yet, but I'm thinking that fits with the title of the book. Also I think we have to weigh up our own situation & then make astute, no excuse choices, which seems to fit with what the book advocates. Maybe the author doesn't cover everything, but who can? We can search around for what else we need.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 8:23:51 AM PST
inkling says:
Have listened to the audio book, and totally agree. The majority of the book was great, but once he got into saying you need to become a working robot, I disagreed. For example, he mentions people that 'waste time' and stop by to socialize for a few minutes and that you should essentially tell them to F off, "I need to get back to work." No thanks... a little socializing makes my day at work tolerable. I work my ass off, but if you follow his advice on this to a T, you will be come a workaholic drone with no friends.

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 9:37:28 AM PDT
Eric Benson says:
Thanks for your effort in this review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›