5.0 out of 5 stars Touched me deeply, October 29, 2006
This review is from: Stratosphere Girl (DVD)
I rented this movie the day before and just barely got done watching it. I absolutely loved it..I am going to order a copy from Amazon. I am not going to give a synopsis of the movie as a couple other reviewers have already supplied that need. But rather, I would like to share with you the affect this movie had on my senses; and also, I would like to share what I percieved were the ethereal qualities of this most excellent movie.

Being of Asian descent, and having dated women of various ethnicities, I was instantly drawn to the main plot. But more importantly, I was intrigued by the line in front of the DVD.."Sometimes imagination is your only escape." I know the casual observer might percieve the meaning to be that you are "escaping reality" through your imagination. I intensly disagree with this line of thinking. And after reading the director's statement(contained as an extra on the DVD), I was happy to see that he had a very expansive view of the imagination.

I know many will disagree with me, but through my personal self-education(and personal experiences), I've discovered that many a magic can occur through the developement and use of your imagination. Your perceptions of reality and what is or isn't possible will be totally obliterated when you strengthen and expand your imagination. This is an intense movie that dares to utilize its own imagination to create a world that is mesmerizing, beautiful, inspiring, and adventurous.

Chloe Winkel, main actress, is absolutely intoxicating in her portrayel of Angela. As a result, I was in constant captivation of Angela's intense drive to create her "own world" through her drawings and her day-to-day adventures. I have deep respect for Japanese Anime(as well as Manga), so its inclusion as a theme in this movie was really beautiful for me.

Bad things about this movie? Only one for me, it was a little too short. The other thing is in regards to the DVD. I really wish there were a little bit more special features(I guess I am bit spoiled by modern DVD's). The movie runs just shy of an hour and a half. Special features include a Stills Gallery, Director's Statement, and Production Notes.

I understand that this movie will not appeal to the masses. I don't give a crap. This movie will appeal to those in which it needs to appeal to..and for those people, they are in for a treat. I feel more enriched now that I have experienced this piece of art.

[Add comment]