5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been waiting for., November 24, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Remote MotionPlus Bundle - Black (Video Game)
About a couple years ago I heard Nintendo was planning to dish out a black Wii. I told myself I'd wait and hold off the white one, but what with all the great games already out, I couldn't resist.
As with most Wii purchasers, I added another Wii remote (or "Wiimote") and Nunchuk. The white's fine and all, but I really wanted the colored controllers as in the initial advertisements for Nintendo's Wii.
Remember the lime green and red ones?

Nevertheless, with two white controllers, I really didn't need any more. That is, until the black one finally came out.
I was initially baffled upon spotting the device because I hadn't heard anything about its release, and just happened to stumble upon some at my local Target. I asked the nearby clerk, "When did these come out?" but he didn't know (apparently they came out a week prior to this review). I rushed home and placed an order for the Wiimote and Nunchuk through Amazon.com (price-sensitive, I wanted the best deal; I could wait for Amazon.com to deliver).

The black Wiimote feels and functions superbly. Sure, it's the same as the white one albeit differently colored, but the blackness just gives it a supreme look--in my opinion, at least. The front side with the majority of the buttons has a glossy finish, which emits a radiant shine, whilst the back side with the battery door has a matte look and feel. The gloss may get dirty in the long run with fingerprints and skin oil, but for now it's staying shiny. The black rubber jackets may eventually attract dust and lint, but, again, for now they're as clean as can be.
Also, and this may just be the fact that it's still new, the speaker sounds louder and crisper than my other Wiimotes' speakers. I thought I accidentally had it on a louder setting, but when I checked my Wii it was the same setting as my white ones, so I figured Nintendo improved the sound chips.

In this package you get the Wiimote, MotionPlus, batteries, wrist strap and two rubber jackets--one to hold the MotionPlus and one to hold the Wiimote without (which I'm currently using for New Super Mario Bros. Wii). Plus, you end up saving on this bundle over the white set, which can only be purchased separately as of this review. On Amazon.com, you'll end saving $5 or so.

All in all, it's the same ol' Wiimote, but in black. It has that new, stiff button feel, which I personally like, but give it some time to break in.
If you like black, opt for this controller. This is my "special" one that no one but me will use; friends and family can use my other white ones.

Oh, and Nintendo has some blue and pink bundles coming in February 2010 (but with white jackets and MotionPluses).

EDIT 11/2/10
As many of you might know, Nintendo is releasing an updated Wii Remote with MotionPlus built in, calling it Wii Remote Plus (http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Remote-Plus-Black-Nintendo/dp/B0045FCKVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288713131&sr=8-1). This review, published a year ago, was for the Wii Remote that came with an exterior MotionPlus, hence "Bundle."
I'll be getting the FlingSmash bundle that comes with a black Wii Remote Plus and reviewing that later.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2009 7:32:18 PM PST
happytobeme says:
You convinced me. I was resisting buying the kids more remotes, but your review just sold me. Thanks for taking the time to write a nicely done review. Happy Wii-playing to you!

Posted on Dec 18, 2009 1:05:10 PM PST
H. Carlin says:
What a superficial way of judging an item, oh yes, the color is real cool, I have one already, but oh yes, I'll get another one. I hope you don't judge people that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2009 1:18:25 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 26, 2010 7:46:27 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2009 1:18:58 PM PST
romevi says:
@happytobeme,

You, sir/ma'am, are very welcome.

Posted on Dec 25, 2009 8:08:19 AM PST
anon says:
Thanks for clarifying that this comes with a regular jacket as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2009 8:28:21 AM PST
romevi says:
No problem. I was concerned about that myself, so I thought I'd make that clear for future buyers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2009 1:13:24 PM PST
R. AUBOURG says:
This was a great review, although I had already ordered one prior to reading it. I commend you for taking the time detailing it so well for us. I haven't received my wiimote yet and I was a little skeptical about it, but now I feel better about it after reading your review. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2009 6:38:31 PM PST