4.0 out of 5 stars Generally very good product, June 8, 2008
This review is from: AT&T SL82318 DECT 6.0 Cordless Phone, Silver/Gray, 3 Handsets (Office Product)
I had been using a Uniden digital 5.8 Ghz phone for a number of years. While that phone provided reasonable service, it was lacking in range. We have a large lot (over 5 acres) and the 5.8 Technology just did not have the reach we needed especially outside. Things got worse when we added a wireless network for our computers. When the batteries started to fail in the handsets, we knew it was time to upgrade.

After looking at a lot of phone specs, it was clear that the new DECT technology might solve some of the problems we had. The offerings are not very extensive in this area yet so the choices really came down to personal preferences. There were very few if any owner reviews to go on (that is why I am writing this one) for any of the products available. What was available about other brands was not generally positive.

So we settled on going with a known brand name. AT&T is a brand name product despite being made outside the US by a third party manufacturer.

So far we are pleased with the phone. It has a lot more range than our old phone (though still not really enough). We have a lot of electrical items, and any signal must go through the 8" think oak log walls of the house to work outside. Even with all of that, the phone works out to about 200 feet from the base unit outside. The old phone would barely reach the front porch, and the driveway was out of range. The driveway is only 75 feet from the base unit. This new phone would probable go further than the 200 to 300 feet we have tested it to, if I was willing to put the base on the upper floor of the house. All of the handsets work anywhere inside the house, no problem. The base in located near the cent of the middle floor of the house, so basically it is in the Middle of the building and the interior walls are all of standard drywall construction.

The sound quality is pretty good, and there is absolutely no background noise or interference of any kind. The handset buttons are larger than most and this helps my large fingers hit the buttons better. Also the numbers are protected UNDER the plastic so they will not wear off. The buttons are lighted with an effective lighting system. The volume is adjustable and is adequate, but for my taste it could be made a little louder. Still the volume is ok. Ring and caller volume can be adjusted separately, and the ring volume is plenty loud, especially with four handsets ringing at once.

For my tastes the handsets are a little too slim and light in weight, but this is just my personal taste, my wife likes them the way they are and I would think others would too.

We also bought two add on hand sets for a total of six. I tested the phone inside our barn, and it works fine so we plan to add one out there. The barn is 75 feet from the house, but this adds another set of walls to penetrate when using the phone. I think for most people the range will be fine, and if the older technologies worked for you or were marginal, the newer DECT 6.0 will be just fine.

The battery life seems to be very good. While we do put these back in the cradle at night, we have not had them go dead yet. Even with a very active day of calls the handset does not seem to require topping off to keep going. I would rate the stand by and talk time to be very good. I would prefer if the charge LED went off when the handset is charged, but no companies have got this idea yet.

All in all I would rate this phone highly. I would have preferred the ability to dial from a hardwired phone located on the base, and maybe more message storage space.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2009 2:30:28 PM PST
thanks for the review--very helpful.
can-am spyder rider--Skyspyder

Posted on Feb 22, 2009 3:39:32 PM PST
Did you know you can replace batteries if you like your old system? Radio Shack is a good source in my hometown. I know batteries have to be available in many other places also.
S Herring

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2009 7:10:16 PM PDT
Radio shack does have great batteries. The problem with the old phones, especailly Uniden, the batteries wear out to quickly. Replace the phone.

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 1:43:38 PM PST
I'm looking for a phone for my mother in law who works 3rd shift. Are you able to turn the ringer complete off on the phones

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 4:54:31 PM PST
Does this phone have an intercom feature?

Posted on May 4, 2011 7:07:57 AM PDT
Coffee Lover says:
Thanks for the helpful review. We too have a uniden and need to replace it. Have a nice day!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 1:00:10 PM PDT
impanky says:
My Uniden phones had 2 batteries fail on the same day. I priced them locally and found prices ranging from $14.95 to $19.95. I then checked Amazon. I was able to get them for $3.50 each. From now on, I will check Amazon before I do anything else.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 9:44:58 AM PDT
K. Brooks says:
My mother and I also have Uniden phones and we both have the same problems with the batteries.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (478 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $58.99