5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the FUNHOUSE, October 28, 2008
This review is from: Funhouse (Audio CD)
I could probably put everything I know about Pink into ... well ... I guess it would be into a single album review. I know her real name is Alecia Moore. I know she burst onto the scene at the same time as a handful of other pop singer/songwriters. I know, for some reason, she hasn't seem to be given the same level of respect as some of her peers (though I've read one "professional" review that already dubbed this her "divorce album," given her recent change of marital status) ... but that could all change with FUNHOUSE. There's a 1960's one-hit wonder quality to the entire album, to every single track, a sound so magically captured in the Tom Hanks film THAT THING YOU DO! It's fun, with a lot of attitude.

So What (5 out ot 5): A perfect gem of a song. When it comes to rockin' pop rhythms with lyrical attitude, Pink clearly commands the lead over her peers with driving songs matched with the killer refrains like that of "So What," a musical shot of adrenaline. Who cares what others say? It in the end it doesn't matter b/c talent & attitude triumphs. Never diss the rock star. Celebrate the self. One of the best tracks here. A hit out of the park!

Sober (4 out of 5): A melancholy rocker, introspective in a way only someone who's looked inside can pen and perform. Personal demons are often driven by the actions of others (bad lovers, bad parents, bad friends, etc.), but only one's self-confidence can help you achieve lasting happiness. "How do I feel this good sober?" Indeed.

I Don't Believe You (5 out of 5): Starts softly and swells in power, much like any individual's soul. Only Pink's trembling & gritty voals can elevate the power to jilted love songs like these. Tragically romantic though the love may have come to an end.

One Foot Wrong (2 out of 5): Is it jazz? Is it electronic? Is that a reggae beat? I'm not too sure what to make of "One Foot Wrong." For the record, there's also a late 60's sound working here. The track feels a bit experimental. If it weren't for Pink's massive voice, then I probably wouldn't much remember this tune.

Please Don't Leave Me (4 out ot 5): Lyrically, the song truly shows Pink's vocal strength, alternating as it does between her contemporary singer and an almost lilting little girl backing "da da da" track. A throwback sound to the teen beach tunes of the 1960's brought forward in time beautifully here.

Bad Influence (5 out of 5): Forgive me if I think that THIS is what Pink does best ... celebrating her own downright sinful badness. Pop/rock with all the attitude you can fit between the start and the finish. Actually, this tune has an odd theatrical quality to it, like it's destined to be featured in a rock movie musical or maybe just a real solid and wicked music video.

Funhouse (5 out of 5): Celebrating annihilation ... complete with its own countdown. "This used to be a funhouse, but now it's full of evil clowns." The title track is exactly the kind of song your grandparents warned you about when they said, "Stop listening to that rock'n'roll ... it's so violent." Yes, it's so deliciously destructive, and it's arguably one of the best tracks here.

Crystal Ball (5 out of 5): Smoky & reserved, it's that other kind of song that Pink does extraordinarily well. Just her voice & a twinkling guitar. Questions about the future abound, but just greet them like you would any challenge, and you'll be fine. Hint: even that crystal ball cracks, folks. Honestly, I could listen to her sing this song and play that guitar softly for hours on end.

Mean (5 out of 5): Pink does southern fried rock like Aerosmith does (and ISN'T that Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler singing back-up as he's done with her before?), complete with the blues-backed twangy electric guitars. This is the kind of vocal performance that Grammy's OUGHT to be celebrating. A big (but heartfelt) rock ballad complete with the F word worked in for good measure. "It's like a train wreck trying to hit the right track ..." Asks and tries to answer the question about how, why, when, and where the relationship went wrong.

It's All Your Fault (3 out of 5): It's the kind of track you'll be hearing playing in the background of a Spencer's Gift store for the next six months and always wonder what that's all about. Great driving undercurrent, the kind of track some kids love headbanging to these days. For all its strengths, it's the kind of song whose lyrics either means something to you or they don't.

Ave Mary A (5 out of 5): A flat-out indictment of the world we've created, complete with questioning one's faith alongside with how we got where we are.

Glitter in the Air (5 out of 5): A song that speaks to the simplest, magical pleasures of life, like a child throwing a handful of sparkling glitter into the air. Pink squeezes more depth, passion, and humanity into these four minutes that many of her peers squeeze out of an entire career.

This Is How It Goes Down (5 out of 5)
Sexy, subversive, and sinful, the perfect exclamation point to this visit to the FUNHOUSE. I could've done without the rap interlude by Travis McCoy, but that's only a matter of taste.

Well, after all is said and done, what is Pink's FUNHOUSE? I could be wrong (I've been wrong before), but I think she's singing about life ... the good, the bad, the tragic, the charm, the ecstatic, the love, the loss ... all of it rolled into one is the 'funhouse,' a ride that once we're all on board we have no other choice but to ride it all out ... thru the good times and the not so good times. There's something here for everyone -- much like life -- and no one should walk away disappointed. Musically, this album is absolutely terrific, and, lyrically, it's absolutely top rate. I haven't felt so excited about an artist's total release in an awfully long time, and here's hoping that Pink finds the success she so much deserves with this trip thru her own personal funhouse.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2008 9:21:11 AM PDT
Adrian says:
This review is magnificent. Very in depth and makes me want the album big time.

Good job. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2008 5:25:31 PM PDT
Glad you enjoyed!

Posted on Nov 26, 2008 9:07:52 AM PST
Hunnytree says:
Honestly, I don't know all that much about Pink....but I just heard her sing "Funhouse" on one of the morning shows.

With regard to your comments about "What is Funhouse" about?, IMHO you might be over thinking the matter. My visceral reaction to the song is that the woman is clearly singing about divorce, and that being her own. I then checked her bio on IMDB, and learned she married in 2006, and has indeed filed for divorce. From a woman's perspective, I have to say Pink wrote that song about her own failing marriage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2008 11:42:06 PM PST
Hunnytree, you may be underthinking Pink's FUNHOUSE. Listen to the entire album, and I think you'll get the message. Just my two cents, and thanks for sounding off.

Posted on Dec 29, 2008 5:52:16 AM PST
I just figured out that I've bought 76 2008 album releases... and this isn't one of them! Oops - on the basis of this review that is clearly a mistake that is about to be rectified. Thanks for a brilliant review and please keep up the good work in 2009.
Richard (rpgreenhalgh.blogspot.com)

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 7:08:24 PM PDT
Neil Laslett says:
Wait...<screeching brakes>...Where did you find "This Is How It Goes Down"? Wasn't on my download, don't see it on the CD, and Amazon says, "12 tracks". What am I missing?

Posted on Oct 31, 2009 9:03:25 PM PDT
TessFromWA says:
Edward Lee, what a outstanding review! I purchased, downloaded and began enjoying the entire CD before I'd even finished reading your review. And as I listen, I think you're spot-on in most of what you said.

I'm going to be looking for a review by you the next time I'm thinking about buying some new tunes. :)

Posted on Dec 7, 2009 9:23:12 PM PST
You should be able to rate every song on here 5 out of 5 if you gave the album five stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2009 6:46:44 AM PST
That's a silly idea, Anthony Rupert. The album's rating is based on the sum of the work as a total product, not a sum of the individual pieces. It's exactly why a film can earn 4 stars (on a 4 star system) but still have some weaknesses. It's just the nature of criticism.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2009 6:47:46 AM PST
Thanks, Tess. I don't review much music, but, when I do, I try to be as specific as I can for folks who are reading 'em.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (422 customer reviews)

Reviewer