Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

2.0 out of 5 stars Flickering Gray Screen of Death, November 24, 2009
This review is from: Asus VH242H 23.6-Inch Full-HD LCD Monitor with Integrated Speakers (Electronics)
Length:: 2:48 Mins

After 3+ months of great use of the VH242H, I cam home to find a problem that seems to be affecting/afflicting several other reviewers of this monitor - a flickering gray screen that does not seem to abate. I'll be hitting up ASUS service in the next few days, and will update this review or add comments as things progress.

Up until now, I've been very happy with this monitor and would certainly have given it 4 stars. I'm giving it 2 stars instead of 1 star because it did so well. I might downgrade it depending on how ASUS service deals with this monitor.

[UPDATE 12/21/09]

Well, the monitor has gone to the ASUS repair facility and returned to me (with about a 2-week lag, and not the best online information regarding whether the monitor had been shipped or not), and it worked right out of the box.

And then it didn't. After putting my MacBook Pro to sleep and waking it up I found... the flickering BLACK screen of death. After jiggling, I was able to get the monitor working, but this happens now every time I either put the computer to sleep or unhook the monitor cable (which connects to a DisplayPort adapter). I've updated the video; more to follow soon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2009 10:25:46 PM PST
Jeff Carlson says:
If you get closer to the monitor, do you hear, "Carol Ann, Carol Ann, run away from the light!"?

Posted on May 24, 2010 7:41:39 PM PDT
Marc says:
Thank you so much for this review. I was about to buy this monitor and *just* about to hit submit when I saw your review. I refuse to do business with a company who wont fix their products when they break down.

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 11:40:26 PM PDT
Wow, two in a row like that? That's really poor quality control, especially since the 2nd machine should have been repaired/brand new. I was looking at this monitor since it seemed like a great price, now I'm inclined to pay more and pick up a ViewSonic or a Samsung of comparable size!

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 7:14:48 AM PDT
Capt. Marv says:
any news agen? I'm also returning mines as i do not want to bother with this, decided on an HP or dell now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2010 11:23:46 PM PDT
I'm glad I did not buy this monitor, my acer went out right after they would not fix it under warranty, I now stay away from ASUS as well.

Posted on Jul 23, 2010 9:13:26 AM PDT
I've been a little trepidatious about posting an update on my 3rd go-round with this ASUS monitor, as I didn't want to jinx it. But the third try seems to be the charm. It's been running just great since I got it back in early January (and the return was a lot faster on that one, which made me happy -- though their online tracking of the return still wasn't very helpful).

I'd have to say I'm satisfied with the monitor, but I always have a worry in the back of my mind when I flip my system on in the morning that it's just going to be blank gray fuzz. And computer peripherals shouldn't make you fearful.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 7:32:21 PM PDT
Nathan T. says:
Yeah I was edging to buy this until I saw all the bad reviews as well. All the good 5 star reviews seem to come from people that only have it for a few days or weeks, not months or more. However, looking at most monitors, the reviews are double sided as well and now I'm paranoid about ALL companies. I definitely do not want to buy something and worrying whether it'll work the next day and if something does happen, will I ever get a working one and fast...cause when your computer goes down, you need it working again ASAP and ASAP does not mean a week or a month later....that's just bull. Now I dunno where to shop.....I want a monitor and I have no idea where to get it or what to get in general.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010 2:31:41 AM PDT
C. Pixley says:
dude. this thing has a 3 year warranty. save your old monitor just in case if god forbid you ever have to send it to ASUS. you can request a shipping label from there customer service at no charge and send it to them in the original box. save your boxes to all warranty items btw with there foam inside. allow them a respectable timetable to repair or replace the unit as this is a huge Company and i am sure they have a large warranty facility. 4 weeks is normal. anything less and you should be pretty happy. i purchased this as a gift for my brother and if i felt that it was going to be problematic then i wouldn't have gotten it. for around 225$ OTD including the CA state fee this is sweet deal. btw ever seen a tv with a lifetime warranty? i haven't. you know why? TV's and monitors fail over time. it may be the color or the flicker or a total interruption. but eventually all monitors and tv's die. even lcd's.

best case scenario for an LCD tv would be 5-10 years. anything after that and your on borrowed time and besides the tech is old and outdated anyways. a 3yr warranty is good enough for me along with an OTD 225$ price tag i just couldnt pass it up. your guaranteed a good monitor for 3yrs bassically. how could you not buy it.

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 3:08:04 AM PST
H. Quezada says:

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 2:02:53 PM PST
KEWROCK says:
Something tells me the components to these cheap monitors are all cranked out of the same Chinese factories. I just returned an Acer to BestBuy with the exact same problem after a week of use.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›