5.0 out of 5 stars Got exactly what I wanted, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Series 9 NP900X3D-A01US 13.3-Inch Premium Ultrabook (Silver) (Personal Computers)
Well, I've had this laptop for about a week now and so this review will only cover initial impressions and performance for..well...only a week.

To start, I opened the box to find the laptop box was very sturdy and impressive. The laptop inside was packed very well and packaging was very aesthetically pleasing. It seemed to me that Samsung took some pride when packaging this product.

Included inside the box was the laptop, the charger (which is small compared to other laptop chargers, it makes It easy to pack and carry), some instructions and warranty info and an adapter for the mini Ethernet plug.

After allowing the laptop to charge, reading the instructions and googling how to use windows 8, I booted up the laptop. Power up was incredibly fast. After setting up everything I restarted the laptop and I am pretty sure it gets to the password screen in about 4-5 seconds from button press. Once I log in I can instantly use the internet. The scroll function seems to lag a bit immediately after log in but is normal after about 1 sec.

I have read other posts about this being the "new" series 9 and why it was rated 1.4 GHz and the sandy bridge and this not being metal blah blah..
well I bough this knowing all those things and honestly...if you can def. tell the difference between a 1.4 and 1.7 GHz and sandy bridge vs the ivy bridge then hats off to you.
I guarantee most people won't be able to tell the difference unless they were told. Regardless,this laptop is incredibly fast.
Also, this laptop is metal just not titanium or steel or whatever else people expect magnesium to feel like -- it is as advertised on the Samsung website.
Granted...this is my first experience with an SSD and windows 8.

What I like:

Keyboard backlighting: It is not white, my wife owns a MacBook pro and the white keyboard backlight is just too bright for me. The series 9 has more of a green hue...almost like glow in the dark. Not to mention most laptops don't even offer a backlit option.

Light weight: I took it to school and halfway to my next class my backpack felt so light I thought I had forgotten it!

Design: This laptop is simply beautiful...I couldn't ask for a better looking laptop!

Functionality: This is a very fast laptop, so far It seems very durable and the programs seem to run without bugs and/or errors

Battery life: The notification indicator is grossly inaccurate. At full charge it told me I had maybe 4 hours...that is a far cry from the claimed 9 hours. After extensive testing this can produce power upwards to 9 hours or more. The screen is still very visible in broad daylight under the lower contrast setting. After doing a multitude of tasks to include up to 3 hours of watching online shows and videos...battery life lasted for about 2.5 days with moderate to high usage. To me that means maybe a cumulative total of 3.5 to 4 hours of usage a day.

Windows 8: So far so good, no serious bugs and it is much much faster than windows 7.

Not a lot of bloat ware: Samsung does have a few pre-installed Samsung software, but it is nothing like what HP normally pre-installs in their computers.

~~~~~~~~~

What I don't like:

The mouse interface: this mouse/track pad is a pale comparison to what Apple has mastered. The mouse was glitch when I first got it...Once I changed the sensitivity and interface settings to my liking, everything became much better.

Body: When I first closed the screen I noticed that the top of the screen did not mate flush with the base of the front of the laptop. After investigating why, I can make it close flush by applying light pressure on the Samsung logo after I have closed the laptop. I don't know why mine does this, however the problem was solved and the gripe does not reflect the laptop's performance. Additionally, I found a simple fix to this problem so that is why I still rated it 5 stars.

Better instructions: I was looking at all the different things on my keyboard and I noticed that there is a silent mode button on F11 key. I would have liked it if they added a quick "what the hell is this?" guide. I had to look up silent mode and eco mode and all that jazz manually.

Over all I am very pleased with my purchase and product. I knew what I wanted to buy and I got everything I expected from this laptop. Also, I suggest looking up a windows 8 tutorial before this laptop is used.

Before this I used to own a HDD with windows7

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2013 8:42:41 PM PST
g says:
"if you can def. tell the difference between a 1.4 and 1.7 GHz and sandy bridge vs the ivy bridge then hats off to you.
I guarantee most people won't be able to tell the difference unless they were told."

actually the biggest difference is in battery life. The older i5, especially its onboard graphics is much less energy efficient. it knocks 30 minutes to an hour or so off of battery under normal usage

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 1:47:08 PM PST
Flyguy says:
Great review. I'm getting this laptop Tuesday. The part about the packaging was funny. Keep making reviews!

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 10:15:01 AM PST
Parker says:
Does your screen flicker when it goes from dark to light? It is is a bright flicker. I don't have a AC adapter connected, but the screen seems to flicker when it changes brightness.

Posted on May 20, 2013 1:44:02 PM PDT
I don't think this reviewer actually tested the battery properly. With Wi-Fi ON and screen to the lowest usable brightness (about 30%) the battery would last about 5-6 hours. You test it by simply web browsing for an hour and see how much it decreases per hour, then estimate how many hours total it can run.

Windows estimates the battery life by averaging the consumption in the latest minutes. I find its estimates fairly accurate, as long as you wait for the estimate to stabilize i. e. you keep the power usage stable for a while (doing the same things) until it gives you a reliable estimate.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (86 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $699.00