3.0 out of 5 stars (Updated) Set up was a breeze except for...., February 28, 2013
This review is from: Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (2013 Model) (Electronics)
I could not get a movie to play in Dolby Digital surround (5.1). I tried every possible setting, but yet it would not play in surround (just Pro Logic). My reciever is an older Yamaha, but is capable of Dolby Digital, DTS surround, etc., which worked perfectly with my old PS3 that died on me last week (it gave me the "yellow light of death"). I find this very ironic that this happened on the day that the new PS4 was announced! Frustrating!

(Update)- I later learned that through the use of the coaxial digital out jack on the BDP-S3100 to my receiver I can now get Dolby Digital and DTS sound (it does NOT support bitstream audio through the HDMI jack like my PS3 did). Luckily I had enough input jacks on the back of my receiver to support this.

Performance wise, the player gives a fantastic picture, great audio, and loads movies very fast as well. The remote App for your smart phone works well too (a bit of a novelty)! It's also nice that the player remembers your history of movie watching.

Sometimes the player does not want to eject the disk and the entire unit locks up (meaning I can't navigate through the menus or anything). This is almost a deal killer for me! So far the only way out of this is to do a hard power down and back up by flicking the switch on my surge protector. I'm hoping a patch to the software will fix this problem. The door on the front of the disk tray is very flimsy and cheap feeling as well! Finding the eject button when this unit is sitting on a dark shelf is a very interesting task too!

Navigating through the on screen menu is easy and intuitive! It definitely seems like a media player that is somewhat prepared for the future. However, I did feel that the graphics for the main menu were VERY underwhelming (I miss my interface from my old PS3)!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2013 6:08:47 AM PST
A. Kuempel says:
I'm guessing the issue is a setting in your Yamaha receiver. If you had one of the first couple models of the PS3 they used bitstream to output higher quality audio so my guess is you need to change how the receiver is accepting the signal. Hope that helps, good luck!

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 12:59:52 PM PST
Good afternoon Kevin!

This is Kevin Krause from Sony Support USA. It sounds like you some help troubleshooting. For help troubleshooting, please call Sony's Blu-ray support line at 239-768-7547. Their hours are Monday-Friday from 8 AM to Midnight.

Kevin Krause
Sony Support USA

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 5:42:52 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 12, 2013 8:10:56 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 10:38:41 AM PDT
Dylan says:
Thank you for the explanation on how to get Dolby Digital surround (5.1) to work. I haven't purchased this blu-ray player, but I have purchased and returned several because of this same issue. I have an old Sony receiver that's at least 14 years old--but it has inputs for both digital coaxial and digital optical audio. So I would think my receiver must support bitstream audio. However, not all blu-ray players seemed to output Dolby Digital to my receiver (or my receiver wasn't able to decode it since the audio coming out of my receiver wasn't digital). I think this was the case with blu-ray players that had more advanced Dolby TrueHD audio and was not backward compatible with Dolby Digital. All blu-ray players, as far as I can remember, worked with the digital coaxial input (if they had that output), but only some worked with the digital optical connection. The problem is, not all blu-rays have both outputs.

I also learned that my new Samsung TV (PN43E450) does not have HDMI pass through. This is something people should find out if their TV is capable of if they are not getting digital audio output to their receiver when they connect a blu-ray player via HDMI to their TV and are not also connecting a separate audio cable to their receiver, expecting the digital audio signal from the HDMI output to go through their TV and then back to their receiver via whatever audio connection they have from their TV to their receiver. Anyway, I think that is why my TV will not pass audio from an HDMI input to my receiver via the digital optical output. If I have a blu-ray player connected with an HDMI cable to my TV, and the digital optical cable output from my TV into my receiver, it won't send Dolby Digital signal to my receiver. I have to have the blu-ray player's audio connected directly to my receiver, either via digital optical (which may or may not work, depending on the blu-ray player) or via digital coax (which works every time, as far as I know).

I may need to get an HDMI switch since my TV only has 2 HDMI connections and one digital optical audio output.

Since you found out that Dolby Digital comes through from this blu-ray player to your older receiver via digital coax, and since this player is compatible with Netflix AND Amazon Prime (I don't have it now, but may decide to get it in the future) I'm going to check out this blu-ray player.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›