4,480 of 4,614 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Facts to Consider when Buying This Kindle Instead of Others, September 29, 2011
This review is from: Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Graphite) (Electronics)
First off, I received my new Kindle this morning. I previously owned the Kindle Keyboard, but actually really didn't like the keyboard or the way the buttons were pressed together. I'm not a fan of touch screens so I bought this one.

There are a few things to know about this particular Kindle that can help you decide if it's right for you...

Here is a list of things to know about this Kindle.

1. You'll be using an onscreen keyboard with the 5-Way Controller. This is not a problem for setting up WiFi and a little writing but if you are an avid note-taker or do a lot of writing with your Kindle, you might want to opt for the Kindle Keyboard.
2. NO AUDIO - If you are planning on listening to audiobooks, Mp3s, or Text to Speech on your Kindle, this is not the device for you. There is not even a headphone jack, so there is absolutely no audio support.
3. 2GB! This device has 2GB of storage, which is half of all the others... if you seriously need to keep over 1,400 books or so on your Kindle, you should opt for one of the others, all of which have 4GB. I only keep a hundred or so books on mine and the rest are up in the Amazon Cloud waiting for convenient download.
4. There's no 3G version but the WiFi works just fine.
5. There is a shorter battery life. Amazon reports the battery life is only one month of reading, compared with the others that clock in at two months. If you are going to be away from electricity for over a month, first of all RESPECT!, second of all, you may want a Kindle that has the 2 month battery life.
6. It's lighter than all the other versions. It weighs in at just under 6oz (170g). The closest competition is the Kindle Touch which is about 7.5oz.
7. It has 5 buttons on the face at the bottom. In the middle is the big 5-Way Controller button as found on other Kindles. There are two small buttons on either side of this. On the left side, from left to right are the "Back" button and the "Keyboard" button. The "Back" button is the same as on other Kindles. The "Keyboard" button calls the onscreen keyboard onto the screen. On the right side of the 5-Way Controller are (again, from left to right) the "Menu" button, and the "Home" button. The "Next Page" and "Previous Page" buttons are the same as on other Kindles.
8. Because of the above 5 buttons, I find it much easier to use than the Kindle Keyboard. On the Kindle Keyboard, the "Back" button was right below the 5-Way Controller, and I accidentally hit it on more than one occasion.
9. On the bottom there is only the mini-USB port, the charging light, and the On-Off Button.
10. There are not a whole lot of covers available for this Kindle yet. (Amazon's won't be available until the end of October.)

As for reading, and as a pure reading device. It is awesome... in fact, without the keyboard, audio, and other features I don't need. This is actually the best one for someone like me who just wants to read.

I've already successfully transferred my library, downloaded books over WiFi, and borrowed library books through the Overdrive Library eBooks System. My only small point of dissatisfaction is that there are so few good covers and accessories right now (though there ARE some available that look pretty good).

All in all, I believe this is the BEST of all the Kindles currently available. Only consider others if you:
a. Really want the touch screen version.
b. Need audio.
c. Need 4GB
d. Need a big Kindle DX.
e. Take a lot of notes or do a lot of writing that requires a keyboard.
f. Prefer the design of another version.
g. Need more than a month's battery power.

Hope this helps someone make a good decision!

(Brief update: I love this Kindle, but right now the scarcity of good, inexpensive covers for it is a little troubling. The Amazon made leather one with light won't be available until November or so and there are currently no inexpensive ones to use in the interim. I'll just have to use it gently for a month or so.)

Update on cases:
I mentioned this in the comments section, but I'll repeat it here for people who can't yet find a good case -

Checking the specifications for the Kindle, Nook Touch, and Kobo:
Nook Touch
6.5 x 5 x 0.5 inches
Kobo Reader
6.5 X 4.5 inches
Kindle (4th Generation)
6.5 x 4.5 x 0.34 inches

It looks like the Kobo is about exactly the same size and the Nook Touch is slightly longer. If you need a case but can't find one that you like yet, it may be worth a little hunting to see if a nook or kobo case or cover might fit the bill.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 110 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 4:45:04 PM PDT
Thanks for replying to my question.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 6:19:03 PM PDT
Not ideal that Amazon didn't release the light cover at the same time.....any luck in finding an inexpensive cover in the meantime?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 10:28:18 PM PDT
J. Ts says:
Though there are a few available, I haven't found a good, reasonably priced cover yet... but also realized that it would be a little crazy to pay $60 for a cover to protect the $79 machine... so I'm really hoping a third party will step up and get something that is affordable, easy to hold and will provide a little more real estate for the clamp of a reading light.

Still looking for something that works... really that's the only place I'm not completely satisfied with this. Actually, part of the frustration is that I like it so much I want to be able to protect it and carry it around more.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 12:29:49 PM PDT
Miriambird says:
I didn't like the special offers at first, but now I look forward to what might be next. They have all been pretty stale lately, in my opinion. Advertisements for phones and credit cards. There was one that had a pair of hands holding a cup of coffee with a heart design in it. I liked that one, but it was quickly replaced by an obnoxious one that read, "Text O-M-G from I-T-A-L-Y". All in all, I think it's fun and I no longer consider it to be intrusive.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 4:43:57 PM PDT
J. Ts says:
I recently had another good one which was 30% off some JBL earphones. Some of them were expensive but there were some $10 and $15 ones that were already heavily discounted.

I also do AdMash every once in a while to help the algorithm know which ads I prefer.

Funny, I didn't get the Text from Italy, but frequently see one about a postcard from Mexico. I do believe AdMash helps a lot.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 7:02:20 AM PDT
TreVice says:
Great Review, but this guy soooo works for Amazon.

Needless to say he delivered the information I sought which is good. Funny how he made every negative thing about the new Kindle into something "positive". Less storage, No audio support, less battery, no keyboard. I admit, great job sir. Not saying all the points he made were'nt valid, just interesting how he did it. But seriously? Saying you actually enjoy and have used the advertisements? Now that's a bit much lol. Also managed to mention the release of Amazon's new leather cover. Nice one.

Either way, good review. Just would have liked Amazon to list what they took away for this model on their details as opposed to me having to search around to find the answers. I personally will not be getting this new model purely because I primarily use this kindle for reading lyrics and I enjoy listening to the songs while reading along.

I'll stick with my newly renamed "keyboard Kindle".

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 7:44:24 AM PDT
L. Housley says:
this is where i bought my sleeve for my K3. I will buy one for my fire too. I carry my K3 in my purse every day and also took it to africa and had it in my backpack for 2 weeks and it's still in perfect condition.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:53:48 AM PDT
J. Ts says:
TreVice, I don't work for Amazon, but thank you for the compliment. I'm actually looking for work now so...

Really though, I'm just really happy with it except for not being able to find a decent cover for a decent price. I'm not interested in the leather cover because it'll cost almost as much as the device itself. I'm hoping someone comes out with a hardbacked clamshell type case for $10 or so. If not, I'm more concerned about things poking it and bending it in my backpack than scratches and whatnot.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:56:53 AM PDT
J. Ts says:
Thanks for the lead... I'm almost afraid to carry mine around in my backpack because I can be so rough on things like this. I really wish there were something like Otterbox for Kindle. (Hey Otterbox... how about it?)

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 12:18:49 AM PDT
First of all, I currently have both the K3 (keyboard) and the K4 (reviewed here) in my possession. I agree with pretty much everything you wrote in your review except for the bit about the next page buttons being exactly the same as those found on the previous K3. They are definitely NOT the same. The next page buttons are now embedded along a thinner beveled edge, and they seem to have more resistance to them. Perhaps this is a necessary trade-off for being housed in a much thinner package, but its a bit unsettling to me. Let me also preface what I am about to say by revealing that I often like to read with one hand. I have about 2 weeks to decide which of these two I will be sending back to Amazon, and it pains me to say it but right now the K3 is feeling much more natural in my hand than the K4. The K3 is heavier yet the side buttons have less resistance, while the opposite is true of the K4. I really hope this is just a matter of my needing to get used to it because I really like how the newer Kindles shave off what I don't need. In two weeks I will have to make a difficult decision.

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (8,828 customer reviews)
 (5,660)