4,440 of 4,573 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Facts to Consider when Buying This Kindle Instead of Others, September 29, 2011
This review is from: Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Graphite) (Electronics)
First off, I received my new Kindle this morning. I previously owned the Kindle Keyboard, but actually really didn't like the keyboard or the way the buttons were pressed together. I'm not a fan of touch screens so I bought this one.

There are a few things to know about this particular Kindle that can help you decide if it's right for you...

Here is a list of things to know about this Kindle.

1. You'll be using an onscreen keyboard with the 5-Way Controller. This is not a problem for setting up WiFi and a little writing but if you are an avid note-taker or do a lot of writing with your Kindle, you might want to opt for the Kindle Keyboard.
2. NO AUDIO - If you are planning on listening to audiobooks, Mp3s, or Text to Speech on your Kindle, this is not the device for you. There is not even a headphone jack, so there is absolutely no audio support.
3. 2GB! This device has 2GB of storage, which is half of all the others... if you seriously need to keep over 1,400 books or so on your Kindle, you should opt for one of the others, all of which have 4GB. I only keep a hundred or so books on mine and the rest are up in the Amazon Cloud waiting for convenient download.
4. There's no 3G version but the WiFi works just fine.
5. There is a shorter battery life. Amazon reports the battery life is only one month of reading, compared with the others that clock in at two months. If you are going to be away from electricity for over a month, first of all RESPECT!, second of all, you may want a Kindle that has the 2 month battery life.
6. It's lighter than all the other versions. It weighs in at just under 6oz (170g). The closest competition is the Kindle Touch which is about 7.5oz.
7. It has 5 buttons on the face at the bottom. In the middle is the big 5-Way Controller button as found on other Kindles. There are two small buttons on either side of this. On the left side, from left to right are the "Back" button and the "Keyboard" button. The "Back" button is the same as on other Kindles. The "Keyboard" button calls the onscreen keyboard onto the screen. On the right side of the 5-Way Controller are (again, from left to right) the "Menu" button, and the "Home" button. The "Next Page" and "Previous Page" buttons are the same as on other Kindles.
8. Because of the above 5 buttons, I find it much easier to use than the Kindle Keyboard. On the Kindle Keyboard, the "Back" button was right below the 5-Way Controller, and I accidentally hit it on more than one occasion.
9. On the bottom there is only the mini-USB port, the charging light, and the On-Off Button.
10. There are not a whole lot of covers available for this Kindle yet. (Amazon's won't be available until the end of October.)

As for reading, and as a pure reading device. It is awesome... in fact, without the keyboard, audio, and other features I don't need. This is actually the best one for someone like me who just wants to read.

I've already successfully transferred my library, downloaded books over WiFi, and borrowed library books through the Overdrive Library eBooks System. My only small point of dissatisfaction is that there are so few good covers and accessories right now (though there ARE some available that look pretty good).

All in all, I believe this is the BEST of all the Kindles currently available. Only consider others if you:
a. Really want the touch screen version.
b. Need audio.
c. Need 4GB
d. Need a big Kindle DX.
e. Take a lot of notes or do a lot of writing that requires a keyboard.
f. Prefer the design of another version.
g. Need more than a month's battery power.

Hope this helps someone make a good decision!

(Brief update: I love this Kindle, but right now the scarcity of good, inexpensive covers for it is a little troubling. The Amazon made leather one with light won't be available until November or so and there are currently no inexpensive ones to use in the interim. I'll just have to use it gently for a month or so.)

Update on cases:
I mentioned this in the comments section, but I'll repeat it here for people who can't yet find a good case -

Checking the specifications for the Kindle, Nook Touch, and Kobo:
Nook Touch
6.5 x 5 x 0.5 inches
Kobo Reader
6.5 X 4.5 inches
Kindle (4th Generation)
6.5 x 4.5 x 0.34 inches

It looks like the Kobo is about exactly the same size and the Nook Touch is slightly longer. If you need a case but can't find one that you like yet, it may be worth a little hunting to see if a nook or kobo case or cover might fit the bill.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 41-50 of 110 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 8:52:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2011 8:56:48 PM PDT
Great response, J. Ts. With this excellent review you should get some serious job offers, anywhere what's needed is sanity, courtesy, organizational skills, and compiling, contrasting tons of this-but-not-that details. Impressive. And helpful.

Definitely helped me quickly begin weighing my own reading needs and habits, whereas prior to reading your review and Amazonoholic's, I was overwhelmed with lots of loosely flying details. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 9:32:32 PM PDT
J. Ts says:
Thank you too for your helpful comments! I really wouldn't have bought a Kindle if not for the new availability of Overdrive library books on the Kindle and the new spartan/economical $79 one.

Thanks to you too and everybody who takes a few moments to let people "know before they buy"!

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 9:53:42 AM PDT
VERY impressive review -- concise, yet all-encompassing. I now have the information I needed to purchase the correct Kindle for my requirements.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 9:52:03 PM PDT
J. Ts says:
Thanks James, really glad to be of help!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 3:23:19 PM PDT
Heather B says:
When you turn your Kindle off hold it for a couple of extra seconds and it will turn all the way off, with out the screen saver. That way you don't have to see the adds or screen savers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 3:29:59 PM PDT
Heather B says:
Yes, it is because you do not have the wifi on. In fact, mine usually tells me to turn my wifi on, so that I can get new offers. I find it a little disturbing to have my Kindle telling me to turn my wifi on so I can see advertisements....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 7:44:15 AM PDT
Miriambird says:
That's funny. I don't recall my kindle telling me to turn on wifi! I now try to have wifi on for at least a while daily to keep the ads changing. I like the snowy or leafy ads this fall.

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 11:17:31 AM PDT
Vianne says:
Thank you J. Ts! I am only now considering this jump and I don't like touch screens or back light. A friend has the Kindle Keyboard, but I didn't know what it was for or the advantage of having one. Your review has really helped - I just want to read so this is the one for me. Thank you for being so thorough.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 7:39:04 AM PDT
Thanks Vianne.

I'm the same. I don't want to smudge the screen (though I'm curious about how the e-ink screens do with smudges), and I don't like backlighting when I'm reading at night. So far I have no complaints at all. The only other factor is having to type anything you type using the 5 way button, but I don't do a lot of writing on the Kindle either.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 7:47:00 AM PST
ouaisouais says:
You helped me make my choice. I have been reading about ereaders for weeks trying to figure out which one to buy. I am from Canada and I maybe wanted to wait for the Kindle touch for the extra battery life, but I'm travelling in December and want it before I go away. No one knows when the Touch will be available here. So I finally decided to buy the basic Kindle. Thank you.

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (8,597 customer reviews)
 (5,495)