4.0 out of 5 stars YA Paranormal Romance, October 22, 2011
This review is from: Gifts of the Blood (Angel's Edge) (Kindle Edition)
Gifts of the Blood was an extremely enjoyable YA paranormal romance. It was quite a short read at approximately 200 pages, but packed with action and intrigue.

The female protagonist, Caspia was a great character. She lives in an apartment with her brother, Logan and their cat Abigail. Because her brother is ill with cancer, Caspia has to work long hours in a coffee shop on top of attending classes and looking after Logan. Life is hard enough for Caspia without and her special `gift' of being able to draw the future. I really enjoyed Caspia. She was my favourite of all the characters in Gifts of the Blood. She was great fun to read about and some of her dialogue was hilarious. At times she did the most stupid of things and I wanted to shake some sense into her. Fortunately this was done for me by the crazy bad guy, Asheroth. I can see this anxiety plagued girl turning into a real kick-ass heroine over the course of the Angel's Edge trilogy.

I loved the idea of Caspia's hometown being a refuge for all things supernatural. We met a few of the other town members and I enjoyed learning about them. Caspia's boss, the blind owner of the coffee shop was a little creepy, but I enjoyed his part in the story and would have loved to have known more about him and his female witchy `friend' from the herb shop in town.

Whilst I didn't totally connect with love interest Ethan at the beginning of the book, he did grow on me as the story continued. I think that I just didn't trust him and I was wary of his intentions to Caspia. Even after finishing the book, I'm still a little doubtful that he's totally the good guy he's trying to be, but we shall see.

I really enjoyed the characters, the plot and Vicki Kerie's writing style. I did find on a couple of occasions that I got a bit lost and had to re-read a page or two and I also noticed a bit of repetitiveness, especially the times when Caspia thought out loud. It definitely didn't distract me too much though and Gifts of the Blood is a book I would definitely recommend.

A great paranormal read and I'm really looking forward to reading the second in the trilogy, Darkness in the Blood, which is out now and Blood Redemption which is due out shortly.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]