3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Order Two If..., November 23, 2010
This review is from: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black) (Electronics)
This is a great burner. Easy to install, easy to use, good included software (including Nero Express 9), all for a good price.

The only caveat is you can't put two in the same Windows computer. Windows can't recognize more than one of these. LiteOn is aware of the problem but does not have a fix as of this writing. Tech Support says they are working on a firmware upgrade but they don't know when it will be available.

UPDATE 8/16/2011: The answer I got from LiteOn is, "It is Microsoft's fault." If you buy two (or more) at the same time, as I did, you probably get devices with sequential serial numbers. Windows reads device s/n's from left to right. If there are more digits than Windows can read, as these apparently have (they didn't say how many it was), XP (and maybe others) truncates the s/n so it looks to Windows like they both have the same s/n. The OS then disables the first one. The support guy I talked to said there was no fix. I think this is pretty lame, since this is a known OS quirk. LiteOn should have a work-around for this. I have deducted one star.

UPDATE 10/01/2011: After a third call to LiteOn support and getting the same response, I asked to speak to a supervisor. After a brief discussion, we went thru a series of steps and obtained the serial no. and firmware version of the operational drive thru Windows. We discovered my drive had very old firmware. He directed me to LiteOn's Web site Download/Utilities page. From there I downloaded their "SmartPack - Firmware Auto Upgade Program for Optical Storage Products" program. I installed the program and updated the firmware to both drives, and now both work on my system.

I am still giving the product 3 stars because of the poor tech support. I spoke to three different techs on three different occasions and got the same line from all three. All should have known how to get the serial no. of the drive without pulling it and how to obtain the firmware version. At the very least all should have directed me to the Web site for the above mentioned software. (According to the supervisor, it was available when I made the first call in November, 2010.) Had any of them done their job I would have resolved this problem last November.

[Add comment]