3.0 out of 5 stars Finally Shazam! on DVD., November 6, 2012
This review is from: Shazam! The Complete Live-Action Series (DVD)
I am so happy to see SHAZAM! finnaly on DVD. I really enjoyed watching SHAZAM! and ISIS as a kid.
The overall quality of the DVD is good, however it wouldn't play on my portable DVD player very well. It would start to load and freeze, play a little and freeze. I don't really understand why, this portable DVD player has not had any problems with any DVD I have tried to play in it until SHAZAM!. It did also freeze a couple of time in a few episodes in my main DVD player, but only for a few seconds and then continued on.
The special features are not anything special. All three DVDs special features is to play all episodes with a moral (just changes the order in which they are all played as they all have a moral).
That all being said, it really took me back to be able to watch one of the shows I remember watching as a child.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 23, 2012 1:47:43 AM PST
eimb1999 says:
The reason why these probably don't play on your portable player is because of this new and infuriating "made on demand" crap that they are doing now. What you are getting is the show done as an individual write that is similar to the cheap blank DVD's you write to on your home computer, not pressings like regular DVD's. They do this so that they save $$$ in case the product does not sell. It also means that you will never see these DVD's in the clearance bin, so there's no hope of getting them at a significantly reduced price.
The system sucks, but in all fairness, if this is the only way these obscure shows will ever get produced, it's better to do it this way than never at all.

Meanwhile I encourage the people who buy these to rip the DVD's you buy onto other formats and store them in case the originals go bad, which can happen with these MOD versions, and I guarantee you there's no warranty on them. I know this because I bought some Universal DVD's at great expense that exhibited "laser rot" after a less than a year and never did get a replacement copy after more than six years. I had to burn myself replacement copies from a friends' set. Thank God I knew a friend who bought the same set or I'd have been screwed out of $120 by Universal. Actually I WAS screwed out of $120 by Universal because I had to throw away the useless ones I bought and instead replace them with the "pirated" copies.

So there you go. Another reason why we SHOULD in some cases copy our DVD's and keep backups.

Built in obsolescence is theft. Pure and simple. DVD's should have a LIFETIME warranty, as we are constantly being told we're buying CONTENT, not the physical object. Okay fair enough so if we buy the content, we should have the content for life if we buy it.

I am against copyright infringement, but I am also against companies not backing up what they sell you. Especially when you pay full price! They should be forced to replace defective product.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:27:12 PM PST
Keeping a backup is not infringement or against the law. What IS against the law is obtaining material that was not purchased. Had you shown a receipt and kept the original DVDs, you could always have a backup copy, and it would not be pirated. By throwing away what you had, working or no, you have now committed copyright infringement and are as guilty of pirating as if you copied it from a "tape trading" website.

There is no way to guarantee a DVD "for life", anymore than there is a way to guarantee a cassette tape, VHS tape, 8-track, Beta, or any other format, although like VHS and LP records, if you properly store and care for your items, there's no reason why it conceivably should NOT last "forever". That's why a good VHS or a good LP, taken care of and played on good equipment, will always play just fine. You neglected to say how you took care of your discs that facilitated this "laser rot". While it certainly can happen, the "Made On Demand" method of DVD production has only been popular in the last few years.

You have no way of knowing that the blank DVDs used are inferior to what is used in pressing "regular" DVDs or not, unless you are somehow privvy to the inner workings of a studio and have witnessed first hand how DVDs are pressed. Additionally, so-called "laser rot" can happen on any digital media, not just a "manufacture on demand" DVD-Rs. It all depends on how you take care of the disc and the quality of the disc itself. Again, you neglect to mention how you cared for these discs that this "laser rot" happened.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (83 customer reviews)

$40.99 $36.89