5.0 out of 5 stars My 8th Tablet and My Favorite by Far, August 20, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (16GB, White) (Personal Computers)
Update after 2 months:
UPDATE after 4 months:
Samsung is releasing whole new software suite, see comments for link,10 minute video of all the new stuff.
I have mostly positive things to say. I actually found out that it will not only run split screens plus 5 apps like I mentioned but up to 11.
The screen resolution is NOT an issue at all. Only with the poorest of feeds will the display show up as fuzzy. The speaker stereo separation is fantastic. I didn't really notice until I played an audio book and heard how noticeable the separation actually was. I added while docked, each of my 5 different portable speakers to the back of the dock and the tablet speakers sounded better.
Cons: I noticed that when using the Chrome browser, that with too many tabs open, like over 12, the cut and paste quite working and the browser froze. This forced a total reset. I finally exchanged the tablet. Same problem again. So I gave up using the Chrome browser, and not a problem one since then. So not the tablet per say, but it and chrome just don't play nice when used so heavily. With the included tablet browser, after too many open tabs, a warning notice comes up and instructs to close a tab before opening another. That's it. Love Love Love this tablet, a lot to learn but worth the price of admission imho.

I have been addicted to tablets for a couple of years now. I have stayed away from Apple products for personal reasons. So Android at this time is the best bet for me. I tried a Windows tablet last year and they were not ready for my needs at that time. The ones that might, cost over $1200 or more. I spend at least 6 hours a day on a tablet. I have owned 8 Android Tablets and one Windows tablet. I still have 4 Androids.
I started with a $149 K-Mart tablet and went all the way to the $600 Asus Infinity TF700T.
Asus TF700T, I know the Asus TF700 is a great tablet. I bought the only one on Amazon that was defective.No choice but to return. I just have bad luck sometimes. But it turned out OK in the end. I was able to wait for this one.
I have a Galaxy Note i717 5.3" cell phone and I love it, they call it the "phablet "but really it is too small for a tablet and more a supersized phone. But I love the display and the S Pen. So after watching MobileTechReviews, You Tube, of Lisa showing all the features of this tablet and her doing a smack down, with this tablet and the Asus TF700 Infinity, I made the decision to buy this one.
I am very happy I did.***Full Samsung video review, live links are not permitted in reviews. So to see them, click on add comments below.The first one shows the videos.

Pros: 1) It shares speed honors for all Android tablet with the Asus TF700 they are too close to call. Each winning battles back and forth for sheer power and speed.
2)It has split screen functions, meaning you can do two things side my side at the same time. Like read your email and do a web search on two separate screens yet on the same display screen. No other tablet can do that.
3)It has a very strong WiFi modem, it pulls in signal my other tablets don't.Nice Nice Nice.
4)It is one of the few tablets that pulls Wifi from both the 2.4 and the 5 bands. Exceptional.
5) The touch screen is extremely sensitive and it takes only the slightest of touch to registeryour input. I think because of the S Pen's needs for sensitive touch of over 1,000 ranges. I mean this touchscreen is the best I have ever used or touched.It tracks you finger movement extremely tightly.No noticeably lag, it is like the item you are moving is stuck to your finger. Most if not all Android tablets have some lag. So good job Samsung on that.
6) It has picture in picture video. You can run a movie on any screen and your can move the movie box around any where on your display surface. You can re-size it if it gets in the way. The display has settings like a TV or monitor, you adjust the color and tone.
7) It has a feature called Smart Stay, which is basicly a little eye that watches your eye. If you fall asleep watching a video, it shuts off. In the morning it has your place saved in the video where it shut off at. Nice feature for me.
8) It will handle up to a Micro 64GB SDXC storage card which writes up to 30mbps, really adding lots of extra storage since most tablets only support 32GB. Ipad and Nexus 7 don't support any on board.
9) It has a decent front camera for video chat, and the a decent rear camera with a flash, tablets are not cameras but this one is above average.
10) It has the S Pen, meaning your can write, draw and lots lots lots more.
11) The software is unique to this tablet only, meaning you can do things on this tablet no other tablet can do. There are some others, older, that have some features similar but not close to this guy.
12) It will convert your printing or hand writing into text. It plots and solves equations.
13) It will convert your hand drawn circles and squares to proper ones, making your look good. It just has too many features to list with the S Pen.
14) It comes with PhotoShop software and the only limit is your imagination.
15) It has front facing speakers like all tablets should have.
16) It comes in White and it is lite and attractive and with 2GBs of Ram and a 1.4 Samsung Quad Core, it is one of the fastest tablets on the market and only $499..Compare to the Excite 7.7 and it is easy to see the value.
17) It will handle HDMI to a big screen and USB keyboards, mice, game controllers, external hard drives, I have have tried a 500GB external hard drive, and it should do even larger, just pickup the adapters. Not expensive at all.
18) It has a real GPS. Works without WiFi. Blue Tooth and so much more...
19) It has too many Pros to list, really, I only scratched the surface. Oh, it is also an IR remote control for you home TV system, even controls cable or Direct TV, it learns your favorite shows and suggests them to you. Too much, for sure...love it...Oh, and if you have other Samsung products, like a Galaxy S 3, it talks to them as well with All Share...neat...it also has a very deluxe battery monitor system that has 4 sections with lots of graphs and setting and over heat warnings to get extra months of battery life.I later watched a Samsung 10 minute and he showed multi-tasking up to 5 functions at once. Email and Polaris on the 2 split screens,then adding picture in picture video on top of those two adding the calculator and another pop up screen, over the 4 programs already opens. 5 open screens at once on and Android SupervTablet.
Versus
Cons: 1) It gets a knock for only having a 1280x800 resolution display screen, but, really it has adjustments like a TV has and your can set picture settings. So no, it doesn't have Retina, but it does just fine without it. Since not many apps support those hi resolution displays anyway. It could not be priced at $499 if it had all it has, plus the over the top display. This one is just fine, and I am fussy. Speaking of fussy, since I do go back and forth with multiple tablets, the two things that keep this tablet from being 100% perfect for me are simple. The blacks are fine but could be deeper. The whites are fine but could be whiter. While using this tablet I don't notice this. When I switch back to another of my tablets, I am reminded of this fact.However,once I pick up this tablet, I forget all about it and just enjoy it for all it's features.
2) This is not an iPad, so it takes some effort to get the most out of it, so expect a learning curve for the S Pen, but it can be used as a basic Android tablet if you want to GROW into it. If you are a person with no computer skills, it may be a bit much for you. Then again, you can just use what you understand. Emails, videos, Facebook, Web Browsing, and you can have a lot of fun playing with the pen
3) Double edge sword, the good it will fully charge on a 5v source like a USB port or 5v power block, the bad is it takes up to 5 hours to charge. So best to charge at night. In contrast my Asus charges in 2 hour 15 minutes but on 5v and turned off, it will only charge 50% all night because it's wall charger is 12-15v.
4) The biggest CON is it took so long to get here.....
Signed Happy New Owner...Cheers

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2012 9:40:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 20, 2012 9:41:58 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 9:41:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 3:29:10 AM PST
Latest update new software suite Nov. 23 2012

A video is worth a 1000 words or more,
OK, for those of you wishing to use the 64GB SDXC micro sd you are in luck, however you have to format it to Fat32. Go to the link at the very bottom of this comment to the forum and there are instructions there to guide you on how to do that. Also other Galaxy Note 10.1 owners and shoppers are discussing their experiences and asking questions about the new GN 10 tablet. All interested parties are welcome.

Tech writers don't seem to be able to review this in their normal graphs. Like Display, CPU, RAM, Memory and so on. It is just too different. Most are skipping over it.
2 Biggest complaints 1) sluggish in scrolling, I didn't notice, but it was pointed out by one good reviewer that there are too many widgets running in the bloatware. Get ride of the junk and it flies.
2) Most could not figure out the "Palm Rejection" which is built into most apps. It is also covered in the Samsung 10 min. video.

Please feel free to join in a Galaxy Note 10.1 Amazon thread.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 10:36:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 22, 2012 8:34:50 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 10:49:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2012 3:14:18 AM PDT
Yes Positive, Samsung video, plus Lisa Gade at MobileTechReviews mentioned in her GN 10 vs Asus TF700 smack down You Tube or her review on GN 10. I found at least 5 more confirming sources confirming 64GB Micro SDXC support by GN 10. Cheers
I have one ordered also.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 2:25:20 PM PDT
I found a Samsung user manual for the GN 10

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 7:39:28 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 22, 2012 8:34:58 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 9:44:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2012 3:15:17 AM PDT
I think you will find the formatting the SDXC 64 GB card to Fat32 NOT NTFS will work fine. I did see some issues a few months back with SanDisk Speed High Speed 6 Camera card had some issues. I even saw the lowly Tab 2 10 supporting 64SDXC. I also see that my cell phone Galaxy Note i717 AT&T will support 64GB Micro SDXC as well as many others. I hope I am not making a total fool out of myself, which would not be a first, but I think the trick is the formatting. I will let you know as mine should arrive then. Thanks

As for the user Manual, it is the only one I can find, and it may have too much information (3G) but much better then no information. Do you own a Galaxy Note 10.1?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 10:02:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 10:08:38 AM PDT
I thought I posted on this already, maybe, I didn't refresh, but this is saying the same thing I thought I said in the other reply. Format in Fat32, works.....Good Luck

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 1:20:38 PM PDT
Pamela says:
Manual found here

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 9:50:37 PM PDT
1080P (1920x1080) videos are not playable on original tab 10.1. Only 720P (1280x720) videos work.
Could you check if note 10.1 is now able to play most 1080P video clips?
Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Location: depends on the time of year