4.0 out of 5 stars Nice point and shoot, August 29, 2011
This review is from: Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W560 14.1 MP Digital Still Camera with Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 4x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom Lens and 3.0-inch LCD (Black) (Camera)
Lately when traveling I bring along a bigger camera for myself and a point and shoot for the kids. This summer our family trip was to the National Parks of Utah. For the point and shoot I brought along a little Canon that I had just bought a month earlier and used twice prior in test shoots. Unfortunately as soon as we got to Utah it was dead (don't know why). That meant a trip to Walmart and in about 10 minutes I was leaving with this little camera in hand. Therefore, I didn't do any pre-purchase research and so I was hoping that I didn't make a mistake. Luckily, I didn't.

The camera is small and thin and attractive (in a camera sort of way). Controls are very simple to use but there are a lot of point and shoot advanced features like a really cool panorama feature that stitches all of your photos together right in the camera. We didn't shoot a lot of video with this camera but a little test video that I did looked pretty good for an inexpensive camera.

The camera doesn't have a lot of manual controls, but most people who would buy this camera wouldn't use them anyway. Like many new cameras it has an intelligent auto function that can actually adjust the camera for different types of scenes automatically. Freeze movement, landscape, macro, and so on. It also has a "intelligent plus" option for difficult situations like capturing in low light.

Battery life seems pretty good and it is so light you won't even know it is in your pocket. In addition, it comes with a outboard charger so you can easily have an extra battery on hand if you wish. My kids actually filled up a 4 GB SD card so I feel that I have a pretty good handle on the picture quality which is very nice. The other camera that I took was a hybrid micro 4 3 camera which (of course) took better pictures, but with some minor tweaking in a photo editor the Sony pictures looked almost as good.

Downside? The camera packs a lot of pixels in a very tiny sensor so low light photos without a flash won't be as good as they could be. In addition (I think) this camera automatically adjusts the size of the image depending on the photo situation so you may not be getting the full 14 megapixels with each of your photos (at least that is what I have read about other Sony point and shoots).

Build quality is OK but the battery compartment is a bit on the flimsy side. On a positive note, this camera will use SD cards or memory sticks. SD cards are easy to find when on vacation and have been the standard with these types of cameras.

Would I buy it again... absolutely. Low price and good pictures!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]