5.0 out of 5 stars Connectivity & Sound Quality, December 14, 2012
This review is from: Harman Kardon AVR 1700 5.1-Channel Network-Connected Audio/Video Receiver with AirPlay (Electronics)
Having issues with a previous receiver, I decided it was time to upgrade. Only in technical terms this was not an upgrade, rather a horizontal move more towards having an internet connected receiver and some of the more recent sound decoding qualities available.

First, it is paired with a Bose Acoustimass 6 system, which now sounds BETTER than it ever did on a higher end receiver that uses Audyssey tuning. This is only a 5.1 system, and frankly there aren't many movies out that even have 7.1, so when it comes to watching something like The Rise of the Dark Knight, it sounds amazing.

If anyone knows why this one sounds better, I am all ears, because the Denon AVR 1907 now sounds sweet with my friend's high end large speaker set up.

There is something of a confusing element to this receiver that people may not realize; that the HK does not use a traditional transformer and therefore weighs a lot less. This is a deliberately GREEN approach in sound production that in no way takes away from the power or quality.

Connecting to iTunes is done wirelessly of course, as long as you have the receiver connected directly with a router port via ethernet, or an adapter, the latter of which I am unsure is compatible.
Once connected, the little AirPlay symbol in iTunes makes the connection. It is SO easy once you've got it figured out. Yes, the manual is online in PDF.

One of the best things is the high quality internet radio streaming from stations all over the world. I've listened to German Klassics, Dub, Christmas music in a wide variety, and Christian stations from which there are a plethora to choose.

My understanding is that you are getting HK sound quality every bit as much as their higher end receivers, in this newest model that offers simplicity and media connectivity (iPod), in a package that leaves a smaller carbon footprint, and produces friendly user interface technology, with a look that adds value to your entertainment system.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 5, 2013 4:25:53 PM PST
realgood says:
I JUST BOUGHT THIS HK AVR 1700 unit two days ago and all I have is sound from the AM-FM radio. What I really wanted was for my I-TUNES to be played from my computer in the traditional format via speakers. So far, nothing! A techkie I'm not. There is 3.5 AUDIO Y-CABLE (new) slot on my computer I used to connect to my old receivers and worked just fine. So I used the same approach, and nothing. Maybe there's a video to illustrate this procedure? And of course @ $199.00 a clip I don't expect too much. And later I'd like to find some way to sync with my SamSung soundbar system with the old analog with speakers and all in my den with the big screen. It seems I'm in two idioms I guess. Maybe some of you sharpies out there could help

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 4:45:57 PM PST
Mark Twain says:
Maybe I can help: http://www.harmankardon.com/resources/Brands/harmankardon/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/OwnersManual/AVR1700_OM_EN.pdf

What happens is pretty much automatic when you're in iTunes. You select the Airplay icon, then you'll be asked for a pin#, I'm sure you need to enter that code on your computer. Then whatever you play should come through wirelessly to the HK1700 from iTunes music.

Best,
Chris

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 6:01:17 PM PST
realgood says:
Thanks, on another note my unit's display screen keeps shutting off after 10 seconds.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 6:45:34 PM PST
Mark Twain says:
There's a button on the remote that allows "full, half..etc.." not in front of it, but that's the 'dimmer' modem including the white light around the volume knob.

It's odd that power saving is SO extreme with it in every way imaginable.

Best,

Chris

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 8:10:26 PM PST
realgood says:
Hello Chris. Well, I got the I-TUNES running via the USB, a piece a cake I guess. But not through the computer to the HK to the screen. My brother-law says I need a card or program for the computer to read, he's pretty much savvy in these regards. Even though I did think auto was already set-in because of my last three receivers, all analog. But largely I want to max this HARMON KARDON to my big screen with all those apps including my DVD BLUERAY HD. For this non techkie it should be quite a challenge. DIRECTV + DVR

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 8:32:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 8:38:28 PM PST
realgood says:
Now this is a AVR 1700 mind you and perhaps different remotes. All I see is the "dim" button and no "white light around the volume knob". What other buttons, I fail to see it. And "not in front of it". Thanks, I guess I need to keep tinkering around. What did come up was "VFD FULL" when I pressed "DIM". And the arrow buttons is confusing. The screen still fades off. Although I can navigate the I-POD on the screen. But I sure appreaciate your input.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:06:34 PM PST
I will bet money that if you open the OSD, and select 'System Setup' you will see that 'VFD Fade Timeout' it's set to '10s' -
Change it to 'Off' and that should take care of it.

On my 1700 the default was 'Off' so I'm not sure if you or someone else was messing with it and changed it or if it came that way as default for you. Hope this helps (if that is the issue).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:46:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 11:54:57 PM PST
realgood says:
@brsshoemak...hmmm, I'm somewhere right about something here as I tinker. Some guys just have a natural knack for stuff like this, they just go with the flow it seems. So we're going to to try installing the card for the computer to read. But I did open the AVR button to OSD and went to Master Menu-Source Select to NIGHT MODE MAX, I didn't see any distinction, it still faded off.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 5:22:30 AM PST
@realgood - Ok, I'm a little confused here. Not sure what you're talking about with 'installing the card for the computer to read." Doesn't really matter for your issue though.

Anyway, re-read my post and you'll see that I didn't mention Night Mode at all. Hit the 'OSD' button --> select 'System Setup' --> look at 'VFD Fade Timeout'. I have a feeling it is set to 10s, meaning that if no buttons are pressed the display will fade off after 10 seconds. Change THAT setting from '10s' to 'Off' and you won't have that issue.

Here is an excerpt from the owners manual about that feature:

"The VFD Fade Time Out sets the display to remain dark
most of the time, lighting up only when a button is pressed or a remote command is
received, and going dark again five seconds after the last command. The feature also
causes the display to light up only when a button is pressed but the display immediately
begins to fade to dark. This setting allows you to program the length of the fade time.
Select a time-out period of between three and ten seconds, or select Off if you prefer to
leave the displays on at all times or to use the Display Dimmer button."

I'm 99% sure that's your issue. Check the 'VFD Fade Time Out' under 'System Setup' and report back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 4:27:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 4:28:32 PM PST
XRayD says:
Just order this cable from AMAZON - cheaper versions available - pick up at any local store.

Mediabridge 3.5mm Male to 2-Male RCA Adapter (6 Feet) - Step Down Design

Use the 3.5 cable from your computer and plug in the RCA jacks in the front. In the OSD set up, select choice for "Audio" input "Front". Turn on the music and enjoy! This $199 AVR delivers way more than anyone has a right to expect!

If you have not, download the full manual for setup for the AVR 1700 which contains detailed instructions beyond the 9 pages packed in the box and that will clarify how to connect things, including the set up in your den. Ideally, you should use this to connect your cable input to the big screen for the biggest bang. If you do this, look into "Air Play" for your iTunes, and it will solve your problems as well - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4325

I added a Rocketfish transmitter to drive my rear speakers for surround sound without wires!

I have also connected my old turntable to play 33 vinyl LPS via the system using the AUX input ports in the back! Sounds Great.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›