1.0 out of 5 stars Did not speak to me., January 3, 2013
This review is from: A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself and Live in the Security of Godís Promises (Paperback)
It appears I am the first official 1 star review. The other 1 star review had something positive to say - so I truly feel alone. But I had a completely opposite reaction from the 5 star reviews to this book, and I want to write it for anyone who may be feeling the same way, and wondering if they are the only ones.

I surveyed the positive reviews trying to understand why I did not feel the same way, and was immediately frustrated by the people who gave this book a 4 or 5 star review with not even reading the book. The only three star review states: "Just started reading this and will update as I go along. Excited to start as I have heard Renee speak and now have the opportunity to read her words." Unhelpful. Then, a BUNCH of 4 and 5 star reviews stating they're just starting the book and an online study with the author and they're excited. (An entire study group of people wrote this identical review). Also unhelpful. One review actually stated that they were asked to come online and rate the book before the study. I tried to find it again to post it, but the process took too much time.

It's been a few months since I read the book. It was a library loan, and I don't have it physically as I write this review to quote specific parts that I did not enjoy, but I'll list my main frustrations.

It asks a lot of questions. Paragraphs begin and end with questions, and I just don't find that form of writing helpful. It reminds me of gimmicky commercials on TV. Do you have insurance on this car? Are you worried about a loved one? Are you tired of being in debt? They're distracting. And it makes the content feel manipulative, in a way.

I could not relate to the author or content. Despite many people saying that it was "real", it actually felt contrived. For me, it was "fluffy". It just missed something, depth. I struggled to finish it and did so primarily on the premise that I wanted to finish what I started. It's months later, and nothing stuck. Definitely not my style, but that's the beauty of literary diversity.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 1, 2013 8:25:22 AM PDT
I rated your review as helpful. You helped me know better what I'm expecting from the writing style.

While that writing style might work great for me, and obviously not from you, it drives me NUTS that people rate a review as "not helpful" simply because a difference in opinion. Shame on them. Thank you for sharing some details why this book does NOT work for you. It helped me feel better that it indeed WILL work for me. Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 9:19:16 AM PDT
Dreteck4 says:
I'm so glad to hear that, and so glad you found this book, as well as my review, to be helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 3:07:32 PM PDT
I haven't found the book helpful yet. Just now buying it. But I understand more about the writing style now (the questions comment you made)... and I feel relieved already that if I find it too fluffy and flowery, I won't be alone. Thank you again! Hugs!

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 12:11:26 PM PST
Elaine Hart says:
I have been reading this book as a part of a Bible Study I'm involved in. You are not alone. I agree, very fluffy, and I think psychobabble-ish. And definitely NOT helpful for me...in fact, it put me in a pit that I'm still struggling to climb out of. Thank YOU for speaking out in light of all the positive reviews.

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 10:47:28 AM PST
Nathan says:
I appreciate your comments here as they are grounded in your experience of the read and the fact that many wrote a positive review without having fully read the book is not lost on me. Considering this book in a mentoring relationship I have but now not so sure. My mentee needs something in this confidence area or even the whole listening and hearing from God piece. Appreciate any suggestions. Will keep searching. :)
Melissa

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 3:17:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2014 3:23:49 AM PST
Mellissa says:
I wish you would review on the actual content and message of the book instead of being distracted and stuck on the fact that you don't like the writing style. Give it a second read, try to hear the message and not let yourself be distracted analyzing and picking apart where she uses questions,etc. It is a very good book!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2014 3:20:27 AM PST
Mellissa says:
Hello, please take the time to tell me what you mean that it "put you in a pit" and are you still struggling with that? What part of the book did this? Thank you.

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 9:27:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2014 9:30:22 AM PST
I completely agree your frustration over perusing reviews, only to find that many reviewers have not read the book, or have been paid in book copies to review, and their reviews skew favorably for that reason.

And as for the person here who thinks a critique of writing style is not valid, she is flat WRONG. Many of us can't stand fluffy, insubstantial, vague writing. In fact, most professional writers and writing professors agree that fluffy, vague writing is bad writing. Simply to respond, "Try again -- it's a very good book!" reeks of bias from someone who probably has a vested interest in seeing only positive reviews for this title.

I will not be buying this book, and I am grateful to you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›