5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye, Apple! Looks like HP G60-533CL at Costo, December 27, 2009
This review is from: HP G61-320US 15.6-Inch Black/Silver Laptop - Up to 4.25 Hours of Battery Life (Windows 7 Home Premium) (Personal Computers)
After a more than 5 year hiatus spend in the Apple camp, I'm back to a PC. I've had 3 Apples in that time and am a heavy user - daily, work, part-time professor and graduate student. Apple's couldn't stand up to my heavy, daily use. Period. The last straw was the screen on my 17" going bad, and Apple not covering it under AppleCare.

Having gone OUT OF MY WAY for 5 years to use Apple i.e., buying Parallels to run QuickBooks (QB for Mac is a hassle for most accountants, so they require QB for PCs), I've decided to put Apple on the shelf. They are over-priced, of no better build quality (Made in China), and are more hassle to use than they're benefit.

I found the HP to be of good build quality, Windows 7 looks good (much better than XP), and the HP screen is beautiful. I like the 10-key number layout on the keyboard as well. Although I never had Vista, Windows 7 didn't appear loaded with bloatware. I replaced Norton with AVG and may remove some games and junk at a later time.

I paid $599 + tax for this machine at Costco, valuing the premium price paid for Costco's fabulous warranty and return policy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2009 1:49:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2009 2:23:54 AM PST
Jersey Chuck says:
"Costco's fabulous warranty and return policy?" What amazon doesn't have a "fabulous warranty and return policy?"

If I bought this Costco for $599.00 + tax @ 9.75% = $58.40 + California's "Disposal" fee @ $15.00 It would total, ta-da, $672.40.

I'll buy it from amazon THEN I'll go to Costco and buy groceries with the $80.00 + change (for a Hot Dog & Coke) with the $$$ I have saved!

Posted on Jan 7, 2010 10:43:47 AM PST
Goat Herder says:
Thanks for the post G&L. I bought the G61-320US for my stepdaughter and while she seems happy to get it, I don't have enough info to post my own review. Seemed like a good laptop. I was wondering if Apple is all it's cracked up to be and was doubting bang for the buck ideas. Most apple users won't have any other review than "nothing better" and good to get another aspect.

One thing I didn't like about Amazon is them charging me sales tax on this item and not listing it on the page for this item. I had to dig for it only after they told me the item was shipped and showed taxes being charged. So even though my home is in Idaho and I work in Iraq, I still had to pay Washington tax. Had I known that I could have bought for much less at tiger-ware or Buy and saved a bit. I used to be an avid Amazon user...they've pi$$ed me off with this junk and except for DVD's, I'll buy my trons someplace else.

Doesn't make much difference as 95% of the trons on sale won't ship to an APO address anyway. Pretty sad when someone works overseas and Amazon can't be bothered to go to the post office to mail electronics but they'll ship everything else via USPS. Probably to many items destroyed. Sorry to H/J your post and vent.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›