5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, September 18, 2012
This review is from: ViewSonic PRO8200 1080p Home Theater Projector (Electronics)
This is my 4th projector. The first two were Epson, the next two are Viewsonic.
The first Epson was 800x600 native definition.
The second Epson was 1024x768 (Epson 83C)
The first Viewsonic I bought was 1024x768 but 3D compatible and having an Ultra Short Throw angle (I'll come back to that).
I was glad to find the Viewsonic Pro8200 under a thousand bucks because I remembered real HD projectors to be much much more expensive. It represent a big plus because it is real HD and has HDMI inputs which is what I was missing with the previous one.

What's to like:
- Excellent image due to an excellent contrast and sufficient lumens and indeed a fine definition (1080p). The projector is bright enough to provide with a nice output even with ambient lights. The images really shine compared to my previous projectors.
- Compatible with both my computer and my playstation. None of the previous ones did come with HDMI.
- Price. I read a few projectors reviews and this one striked me as the best for the price.
- Excellent bulb life (per specs since I have not verified it yet)

What's not to like:
- Throw angle... While my previous Viewsonic projector PJD6381 would give me a huge projection size (about 15' diagonal) while being placed 6 feet away from the wall, this one had to be placed right back against the back wall to get to a size of about 10'. This means that I have more than doubled the space necessary to arrive to two thirds of the previous one. The ending view is larger than most TV but I feel like I am losing something in the trade.

I still do not regret my choice. I plan on alternating from one projector to the next depending on my activities. At least, these two projectors are not competing for placement one being under my lounge table and the other on my bookshelf behind me.
Had the size been the same as the PJD6381 and 3D capable, I would have given it five stars.
A last detail, it appears that the remote control can activate both Viewsonic projectors so I have to be careful where I am pointing it...

So to answer the comment made on this review, for what it does, this projector is worth 5 Stars. For what I would hope for, it deserves 4.

Edit 10/01/2012

I was given a chance to review the following competitor:
BenQ EP5920 Plug 'n Play 1080P Home Theater Projector (Silver/black)

This lead me to change my rating from 4 to 5 stars for the Viewsonic PRO8200. I want to give 4 stars to the Ben&Q and the Viewsonic is one notch better (not by much though). I am still fully satisfied with the Viewsonic.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 19, 2012 9:21:02 AM PDT
richman says:
I'm not sure I would take a point off just because the pro8200 is not a ultra short throw PJ like your other model, and the pro8200 is not 3d?
You didn't know the pro8200 was not a ultra short throw before you bought it, or that it didn't do 3d? I did.
Now short throw has very limited placement, you have screen and move the PJ back and forth until it fills the screen, a regular PJ like the pro8200 and most others, you adjust the zoom on the PJ itself to get bigger or smaller image.
I can see you taking 1 point off for other things, but not for the pro8200 not having short throw or 3d.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 11:53:18 AM PDT
Hi Richman,

Thanks for your input. Yes I knew that this projector was neither 3D nor USTA (Ultra-Short Throw angle).
Now, I would admit that I use my own perception to judge a projector and this is what keep me short of giving it the max score.
Maybe I should amend my review to say that for what it does, it deserves 5 stars. Now compared to what I would consider realistically ideal, I still give it a 4 stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 3:31:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 8:54:02 AM PDT
richman says:
no you can give however many stars you think it deserves. It's just your review said you took off a star because it wasn't short throw or 3d, or I read it that way.
You could give it 4 stars because it's not as good as a 5 star PJ. :)
I was just a little confused with the short throw and 3d thing, and you seemed to be disappointed it didn't do that.

I'm thinking maybe if you are under 30 days , just return it and get a short throw PJ and get one with 3D, why would you keep this pro8200. Your last PJ gave a bigger screen size, so just return this model. I do think most regular models are not gonna get as big as screen size in limited space, therefor short throw for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 4:26:31 PM PDT
J. Shaw says:
I have a throw distance problem. My library is only 10' wide, and I'd prefer to fill a 120" screen (I am slightly nearsighted, and prefer not to wear glasses). What projector models will do this? You mention a USTA type projector. Where do I find these?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 4:40:17 PM PDT
Hi J.Shaw,
The Ultra Short Throw angle I was referring to is a Viewsonic PDJ6381. Here is the link: ViewSonic PJD6381 XGA Short Throw DLP Projector -120Hz/3D Ready, 2500 Lumens, 2400:1 DCR
The way I use it is straight on the floor and about 7' away from the wall. It results in a screen size of about 130' (4:3).
The model is a bit old now. Just search with this "viewsonic ultra short throw" and you will see new models.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 10:35:45 PM PST
Did you feel the benq 5920 had a better throw angle and image size for a simiar placement ?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 4:19:27 AM PST
Henri Savin says:
No, as I wrote in my review of the BenQ, they both had a similar throw angle and image size.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (125 customer reviews)

$1,499.00 $712.99