Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great With Garmin's Upgraded Soft Strap, February 4, 2011
This review is from: Garmin 010-10997-02 Premium Heart Rate Monitor - Soft Strap (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Bought the Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor with the hope that it would be more comfortable than the Garmin "Standard" Heart Rate Monitor. I found that it is indeed more comfortable, but have gone back to using the standard monitor.

Used the premium monitor about 4 times per week while walking on my treadmill since December of last year, and it seemed to be operating ok. The heart rate reading it displayed correlated well with that of a finger tip monitor that I also own. During the past week, however, the readings have become very erratic---often showing heart rates >200bpm. I have tried rewetting the electrodes, moving the monitor around on my chest, and changing to shirts that may contain less static electrical charge with no success. Therefore, I have gone back to the standard (buy less comfortable) standard Garmin monitor that is working fine.

I considered returning the monitor to Garmin for repair or exchange, but decided to first check in the Garmin Forums on the Garmin website to see if others were having this problem, and yes indeed people are! Numerous suggestions are made in the forums such as wetting the electrodes with gel instead of water, wearing only cotton shirts, wearing the monitor upside down, and even wearing the monitor on ones back rather than on ones chest. Personally, I refuse to resort to such Mickey Mouse solutions, and will use the standard monitor instead.

Am not sure what I will do about my Premium monitor. I suspect that what we have here is a basic design that is not very robust or reliable, and that my returning the device to Garmin for repair or exchange might not accomplish much other than my paying some shipping charges.

Updated 2/24/11: I contacted Garmin customer service regarding the monitors' erratic operation, and was told that they have an upgraded soft strap that they would send to me free of charge. I received the new strap within about a week, and now the monitor is working perfectly with no more erratic readings. I am very pleased with the response of the Garmin customer representative (whoes initials are J. R.)! I will consider giving the monitor a 5 star rating if it continues to operate well for a few months or so.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 6, 2011 7:48:18 PM PST
IngersollTCF says:
I'd suggest returning it as defective...

"Garmin today itself offers two straps - one is the classic strap, and the other is the newer `Premium Soft Strap'. However, an even newer premium strap has also been tossed into the mix. This one looks very much like the Polar Wearlink Strap and is oddly enough `licensed' from an unnamed organization. Garmin had no comment on who it was licensed from."

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 3:36:11 PM PDT
R Johnson says:
I had the same problem with two of these straps. I am very careful with everything I own. I have a Timex HR monitor that I use for teaching spinning classes that has worked flawlessly for years. Then I bought a Garmin computer for my bicycle and purchased these soft straps as a treat for me.
The first one failed as the electrodes themselves cracked. (that I swear I only rinsed or washed gently in the shower). Then I bought a second one and it began having erratic heart rates. I changed out the battery, very carefully, and it never worked again. I went back to my old strap that while it is not more comfortable it certainly is not as finicky.
I did not go back to Garmin because they would not replace the first one so I had big doubts they would replace the second.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›