4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as 'Wonders of the Solar System', but still worth getting, May 8, 2011
This review is from: Wonders of the Universe (DVD)
This review is based on the series as aired in the UK, March 2011. This is a follow-up to `Wonders of the Solar System'; it has the same format with Brian Cox travelling the world. As usual, some science background will help you to appreciate this series, my degree is in physics. I found it a bit slow, it is also dumbed down in places, and it is only four episodes, hence only 4 stars. The account of the nucleosynthesis of the heavy elements in stars and supernovae was fascinating, we are all made of star dust (Ep 2).

Episodes (adapted from BBC iPlayer and youtube)

1. Destiny

Professor Brian Cox explores the laws of the universe. In this episode, Brian seeks to understand the nature of time and its role in creating both the universe and ourselves.

It looks at the furthest star that we know, which blew up 13.0bn years ago. It looks at the arrow of time which is always moving forward, which he relates to the second law of thermodynamics, entropy always increases, i.e. the tendency to go from order to disorder. He looks at the stelliferous era. The red dwarfs will be the longest lived stars in the universe, because they burn their fuel so slowly. The death of stars will be in a 100 trillion years time, leading to the heat death of the universe when all matter will disappear leaving only photons. However the good news is that the arrow of time gives a point in time (i.e. now) when intelligent life is possible in the universe. He ends with the single pixel picture of earth taken by Voyager.

2. Stardust

What are we and where do we come from? Professor Brian Cox finds out. The account of the nucleosynthesis of the heavy elements in stars and supernovae was fascinating. As my degree is in physics, I have already bought a text book on cosmology and am thinking of buying one on nucleosynthesis, so be careful this stuff can become addictive.

This episode deals with the lives of stars, or stellar evolution. Especially element formation in stars through nucleosynthesis and heavy elements in supernova. All the 92 elements we find on earth are made from stars, so we are actually stardust. Our sun is only converting hydrogen into helium through nuclear fusion which creates the energy that we get from the sun. The creation of elements heavier than helium only occur at the end of a stars life, when it has run out of hydrogen and a star becomes a red giant. Then helium is fused to produce carbon and oxygen. For massive stars the process continues and carbon fuses to become magnesium, sodium, neon and aluminium, this continues until only iron is formed. There are over 60 elements heavier than iron in the universe and they can only be created by stars nine times the mass of the sun. Once iron fusion has been reached, no further fusion is possible and the star collapses under its own gravity and rebounds forming a supernova in which the heavy elements are formed. So we are all made out of stardust from the death of a star billions of years ago. He ends up discussing the Orion nebula in which new stars are being formed from the remains of dead ones, a similar nebula from which our sun and solar system emerged. If we look at the spectrum of a nebula we find complex hydrocarbon chemicals which are the building blocks of life. And we find evidence of this in meteorites, including amino acids. If one looks at this episode, it shows how the death of a star produces new life, including our own.

Ep. 3. Falling

This is about gravity, and so far is the best in the series.

Cox experiences weightlessness in an aircraft, falling at the speed of gravity? The moon always faces the earth due to tidal interaction, and there is a 7 m tidal bulge in the rock on the moon. Gravity locks many solar systems into our Milky Way. The Andromeda galaxy and the Milky Way are hurtling towards each other at 0.5 million km/hr and will collide in 3 billion years and Cox shows us a computer simulation. We are a part of the Virgo cluster of 2,000 galaxies. Cox then takes a ride in a centrifuge, at just over 1g he is on Neptune, at 2.5g he is on Jupiter, at 4g and 5g he is on an exo-planet (our Sun has 28g). When a massive star runs out of fuel it implodes under the weight of its own gravity and then rebounds to form a supernova, leaving a tiny neutron star at the centre, rotating at 30/s (a consequence of the conservation of angular momentum). He then goes on to consider the perihelion precession of Mercury which can only be explained by Einstein's general theory of relativity (1915), Newtonian gravity just did not do it (c 1680's).

Ep. 4. Messengers.

Professor Brian Cox explores the laws of the universe. He shows how light holds the key to our understanding of the whole universe, including our own deepest origins.

Light is a messenger that takes us into the past, which has travelled over 13 billion years to reach us, for example, the 2004 Hubble ultra deep field pictures of distant galaxies. He also takes a look at the cosmological microwave background radiation (CMB), discovered in 1965, which showed that the CMB had a temperature of 2.7 degrees Kelvin. It also convinced most of the scientific commununity that the hot Big Bang model of cosmology was correct.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 8, 2011 2:19:45 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 2:20:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2011 2:26:40 PM PDT
rossuk says:
I do not understand this post. Please elaborate... If I have made factual mistakes in my review, please let me know so that I can correct them.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 7:25:27 PM PDT
Thanks for the informative synopsis.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 7:25:40 PM PDT
Thanks for the informative synopsis.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 7:41:45 PM PST
I enjoy this show very much. However, I found your "review" to be more of an essay dedicated to your understanding than a simple opinion. Of course, I'm only an aspiring writer/photographer/film maker. I do not possess a degree in physics. So I find Professor Cox's approach appropriate for those of us who have a deep appreciation for science but do not carry a degree. You might be surprised with how much a person like me really understands. So be patient when things are "slow" or "dumbed down in places". I enjoy Brian because he conveys finding wonder in everything very well. He's like a kid on Christmas Eve. I find his attitude approachable and appealing. He doesn't seem to shoulder the burden of the huge egos of Neil deGrasse Tyson or Stephen Hawking.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 10:14:08 AM PDT
I need all the "dumbing down" I can get.
Your description of Brian fits him, he is like a kid on Christmas. Everyday I browse the net to see what wonders have been revealed, there's always something new that comes along and changes our whole understanding of the Cosmos. That rate ofunderstanding will increexport an exponential rate with some of the new observation telescopes that have been launched recently, once the pieces fall into place we're all going see more and learn more than we ever thought possible. I for one can't wait to see what we find.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2013 6:14:44 PM PDT
G. Barnes says:
Wendy, you had me until the last sentence.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2013 12:02:37 AM PDT
I can't tell if I lost you with my bad typing-auto correct or lousy grammar in general. The word "increexport" was supposed to be "increased". Anyway, many apologies. Lesson of the day: those with large clumsy fingers need to proof read anything and everything they post.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (71 customer reviews)

$24.98 $18.11