1.0 out of 5 stars A POX ON THE HOUSE OF HYPONEX - FEAR NOT THOUGH, NOT ALL IS LOST...SORT OF, January 15, 2012
This review is from: Hyponex Potting Soil - 8 Pound (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
Oh my! Look at and read all the bad negative reviews this particular potting soil is getting! About a year ago I bought a large bag of this soil to repot some of the many house plants I systematically kill off year after year after year. I am here to tell you that this soil went quite well with my dastardly plan of trying to cleanse the face of the earth of every green living thing. I have absolutely not idea of how they make this stuff, what they put into it or what their ultimate goal is, but I do know that this horrid stuff cost me a great deal of time in that I had to repot all of the plants that this "soil" did not pretty well kill off. The ones I saved have had a hard time of it and their ultimate survival is still is question. A pox on the house of the makers of this stuff!

What the other reviewers are telling you here is the absolutely truth. When you moisten this stuff it becomes absolutely brick like and I am pretty sure that the main ingredients in this wretched stuff is some sort of toxic clay substance. (It crossed my mind that possibly this company and the EPA have a "thing" going. After all, just what do they do with all the contaminated soil they are removing from various toxic waste dumps? You have to beat it with a hammer just to break up the clumps (the soil, not the EPA)...nasty, nasty, nasty and nastier!

But not all is lost! No, no, no! After doing some heavy mental study (a real strain I might say), the dogs and I have come up with a brilliant idea. We, the dogs and I, are very much into history. For years I have been fascinated with sod houses - you know, the kind Laura and Pa and ma lived in on the Little House on the Prairie. I have always wanted to build one just to see if I could pull it off. Now I have no intention of trying to live in one as I think it would be too difficult to clean, and goodness knows I have problems enough keeping my office clean even though it does not have dirt floors...actually, come to think of it, it may have dirt floors - I have not seen them in years due to the books, papers, rocks, and other clutter, so who knows?

Anyway, I digress. I am thinking to taking out a new home load, purchasing a bunch of bags of this stuff and making my own sod bricks with it. S. Missouri has poor sod for housing being made up primarily of rocks and I do not want to have to drive all the way to Kansas or Nebraska to haul dirt for bricks back to my home. This stuff quite well may be the answer. (Paving the circular drive infront of my home is another option.)

I was thinking of making a smaller house, one that I would not have to live in but to just let the dogs hang out. This plan was shot down by my wife who threatened to call the ASPCA or PETA (Her first choice) on me if I tried that trick so I suppose I will just build it, let it sit for the sole purpose of confusing and befuddling post grad archeological students 500 years from now if they should happen to excavate my place. (It should be noted here also that I attempted to throw what was left of this bag of "soil" on my wife's mulch pile and Amazon will not allow me to record precisely what she said when she caught me trying to do that...good grief - worse than an episode of "Angry Birds!")

In the mean time, while I await spring (that is the time I plan to start my building project) I have the partly empty bag setting in a corner of my barn and I look at it ever-so-often just to remind me of the old saying, "A penny wise, a pound foolish." It has all been a good lesson for me.

I would highly recommend you NOT use this stuff for your plants; unless of course you have a particular grudge against a specific species in your home.

Don Blankenship