Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars "I'm Glad They Did This Film", October 28, 2009
This review is from: Michael Jackson's This Is It (DVD)
When Michael Jackson died on June 25th 2009 it seems a part of the world died with him. It made many people sad all over the world and it seems that for once everyone was being nice to this man who had always been abused by the Medias; journalists, interviewers and others. When I heard of the "This Is It" movie concert I didn't know what to think. I knew it was rehearsal footage from the 50 concerts he was to perform at the O2 arena but I didn't know what was going to come out of it or what they were going to do with it. When I saw the trailers I knew I had to see this and that "This Is It" was going to be something special like I've never seen. And that's precisely what I got, I even bought my ticket in advance for the movie and feel like it was much worth it.

It amazed me how good MJ still was, the dance moves were great and fascinating to me. He was clearly the one in charge of the whole thing. He gave precise instructions of what he wanted, made sure everything was right and did everything that needed to be done. The film shows just how much Michael was respected, there were parts of it where they asked him if he wanted anything or what he thought and if he liked something, it seems no one assumed anything at all. When he talked the crew would listen and he asked things in the nicest way, never to hurt anyone. There's not a part that doesn't make him look like the nice guy he always was. There are mixed feelings about him after all the bad things that have been said about him but after watching this I don't know one could possibly believe them.

To be honest I loved every minute of it, every song was special and was great to watch. Right from the beginning of "Wanna Be Startin'Somethin'" it was amazing. No matter how many people surround him he's always the one who does things better than anyone else and the one you're watching. This Is It was really a unique experience, I felt they chose the right footage parts for the movie and made him look great in every sense. They could truly have messed things up but they didn't and came out with an amazing documentary, it's sort of a testament to his fans, it's just very special. I really liked the Thriller 3D part, it was a 3D video shoot and afterwards you see MJ coming out onstage from a spider, the show would have looked awesome. They Don't Care About Us was amazing, The Smooth Criminal part was very interesting, so was the Earth Song which had a beautiful video of a little girl in a forest, waking up to see that all of it has been destroyed. I won't go further but every song had something about them.

The stage show would have been grandiose, the fireworks, the "fireball" (quite impressive I won't spoil anything), pyrotechnics, the videos that accompany the songs are all very impressive. This could very well have been the best show ever had he lived to perform them. In the end I was quite amazed by the 1: 48 minutes I watched, I can't wait to see it again and the message Michael gives at the end is very inspiring. From the auditions of the brilliant performers to the credits with the "This Is It" song I was captivated.

The said special features will feature more of the rehearsal and a two part documentary on Michael's history and his comeback along behind the scenes. I can't wait to see more of the rehearsal and hopefully the extras will be great and there will plenty to watch.

It's hard for me to describe what watching this movie was like and what I felt about it. I know this is rehearsal footage but it's truly brilliant and while it main not catch Michael at his best it certainly catches him at his most honest. I don't have anything bad to say about either this movie or the man himself, This Is It is a must see. It doesn't matter if you watch in its theatrical run or on DVD/Blue Ray when released, this is amazing and his fans just have to see this. I will certainly be amongst those who buy it and watch it over and over again. This man gave his life to music and his fans and I don't remember where I heard or read this but I do remember that someone said: "He was a gift of god, he was a kind human being who's been mistreated by many opportunists, he's been taken advantage of but he was the nicest person and could never harm anyone" or sometime like that. These words are very truthful and really mean something to his fans.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2009 2:29:06 AM PDT
J. L. Hamill says:

Posted on Oct 31, 2009 8:27:45 AM PDT
Dream4umj says:
I went to see it and I was in awstruck in how phenomenal he was as an entertainer. Amazing, as we watched it a few us sang to his songs in the movie theater, it was priceless having him present right there before us. You could feel his love it transcended right through the film. What a gift, You said it perfectly and I could not even top your words, you didn't spoil it. you have to see the intensity of this film to watch the magic of this genius at work. I am so glad I went I may not have been able to go to his concerts but I got a chance to see him perform during rehearsal, and I felt honored.

Posted on Oct 31, 2009 5:44:46 PM PDT
Words could not possibly explain the emotional roller-coaster I went through watching This Is It. I was awestruck from the beginning to the end. I started crying from the interviews at the beginning to the This Is It track at the end. Michael was the greatest performer and I feel sorry for our youth to have nobody to look up to with this caliber of Talent, Love and Peace in all of his work. I bought my tickets in advance too and waited in line patiently before racing to get good seats. Once all of the trailers were over and it started I was in tears because I knew I would never see Michael perform on stage. Although the world has lost a Legend I will FOREVER watch all of his concerts and this documentary to remind myself that music was once as perfect as it could ever get. And I owe that to Michael. Let us pray that his quest to see the world in a better place is achieved, not by "They," but by US! Love you MICHAEL!!

Posted on Oct 31, 2009 10:41:00 PM PDT
K. Phillips says:
October 31, 2009

I saw Michael's film today and was completely blown away. I felt as though I was right there in the room watching him create his show. I agree with what's been said about his genius, respect for the team of people working with him, and his love of music. I will truly miss him. THANK YOU MICHAEL FOR THE GIFTS YOU'VE GIVEN US ALL OF THESE YEARS!

Posted on Nov 1, 2009 1:16:44 AM PST
Qbicle says:
I agree with Lisa D. You didn't spoil it - people NEED to see this genius in action b/c no words could describe his jaw-dropping talent (but this was a good review, Tommy). I saw the movie the day before it's release and tonight again. I don't think this experience could get old. It brought me back to the day I went to the Jackson's Victory tour. Our parents didn't necessarily like him but were awe struck by his presence none-the-less. SEE THIS FILM. MJ is a legend who deserves respect for his love and gift to the world. Bless!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009 5:12:23 AM PST
You should not be reading this review if you don't want a review! Think about it!

Posted on Nov 1, 2009 6:42:13 PM PST
I saw this movie twice in a week !!! It was great....MJ looked happy and was very gracious to all he worked with. I came away with an appreciated view of who MJ was as a person. I will definately get the DVD for my home viewing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009 7:42:26 PM PST
gunngirl says:
J.L. Hamill--I don't see anything here that was a spoiler. What parts are talking about?

Posted on Nov 1, 2009 7:50:07 PM PST
gunngirl says:
E.Christenson--I agree that this experience never gets old. Tommy Morais, thanks for a nice review, especially what you said about Michael himself. He WAS a nice person. He really was and I can go on about that until the end of them. So mistreated by so many, so many lies and so many users and opportunists in his life. Michael went to hell and back several times and this was his moment to shine--AGAIN and MORE. It's true what you said that he gave his life to music. That and his kids and his love for children was what made him whole. This is such a great movie and I'm glad it was made because it shows what a sweet, honest person Michael was and the good reviews should outweigh the bad. People need to get over themselves and stop digging up the stupid lies about him to try and bring him down.

This is an emotional movie to watch too, but it is also joyful. It can be sad to be reminded we're just watching rehearsal footage, but it's still great to see him again. I know this was another opportunity to make money off Michael, but sadly I needed this movie to help me make closure for him. I'm glad the movie was made. I love Michael so much and still miss him so bad. I want to watch this over and over and over. I thank Michael for all his efforts to give us the greatest concert ever made. His fans will love him forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2009 9:40:10 AM PST
T. Skylar says:
Thanks for such great positive feedback everyone I`m truly touched by those comments and it`s great to read what other fans thought of the movie!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›