Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

2.0 out of 5 stars "Double Dipping" seems to be the correct assessment., November 15, 2012
This review is from: Looney Tunes: Platinum Collection, Vol. 1 (DVD)
I own, and treasure, The Looney Tunes Golden Collection, as imperfect as it is, and I was extremely disappointed to see THAT series so abruptly and unceremoniously terminated after only 6 volumes as if it were being managed by a child who suddenly and capriciously became bored with it.

In my opinion, that was a slap in the face to those of us who had invested in volumes 1 through 6.

So, you'll understand if I have to look askance at the PLATINUM collection because so many of these titles were previously released in The Golden Collection.

For those who may be wondering (and I apologize if someone has already done this exercise) here, in alphabetical order, are the 6 cartoons on this Platinum Volume that I did NOT see among the cartoons on the 6 Volumes of The Looney Tunes Golden Collection:

BEDEVILED RABBIT
BILL OF HARE
DUCKING THE DEVIL
DR. DEVIL AND MR. HARE
FROM A TO Z-Z-Z-Z
A WITCHES TANGLED HARE

I would love to add the above 6 to my collection, but not at the cost of adding 19 duplicate cartoons.

It's bad enough that excellent offerings such as CAPTAIN HAREBLOWER and
RACKETEER RABBIT (a personal favorite) were given short shrift and wound up tucked away as extras on other disks (CAPTAIN HORATIO HORNBLOWER and PUBLIC ENEMIES: THE GOLDEN AGE OF THE GANGSTER FILM, respectively).

I am VERY disappointed to see what I contend is the continued MIS-handling of this franchise and I won't be rushing out to add the PLATINUMS to my animation library anytime soon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 9:25:00 PM PST
SATURN2 says:
Thanks for the info on which cartoons are not on previous sets-pretty minor ones,at that-I'm sick of blu-ray apologists insisting this is not manipulation of the cartoon fanbase because blu-ray looks so much better-WE KNOW!-That means they could have released the Golden Collections on blu-ray for folks to upgrade to when they wanted to-I have a blu-ray player,but I want MORE NEW CARTOONS,not 6 new and 19 duplicates-After the classy Golden Collections sets,it's a shame the release decisions fell to the greedy weasels that are handling it now-Thanks for your thoughtful comments!

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 12:32:47 PM PST
Yes and not to mention, that the quality of the Blu ray transfer IS NOT really astonishing as many mentioned with their 5 stars. You may actually buy a decent Sony Blu ray player and the up-conversion matches the restoration quality of the Blu ray.
Regrettably I did buy this platinum collection at a high price just to find out later (the hard way) that the 5 stars reviewers probably did not own the original 6 volumes collection.
I guess that is how their (Studios) skimming works; they leave you wishing for more by releasing the titles repeatedly over and over again. No wonder why there are pirates out there duplicating their copyrighted material. I guess this is some kind of karma for them, or so I'd like to think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 9:11:58 PM PST
Mr. Mister says:
So here's my question: Will the GOLDEN collection volumes be intended to include every single short ever made? Anyone have a clue?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:40:53 AM PST
Sadly, no. That series has been discontinued. Worse, some true greats that could & SHOULD have been included in SIX VOLUMES
is a insult / disservice to fans of the series.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 7:13:43 PM PST
I can certainly sympathize with your issues about the Double-dipping and the repackaging of the same material every couple of years. Anime distributor, FUNimation, loves doing that every couple of months. However, I will have to argue in favor of this collection, because even though it is a lot of the same cartoons as were released previously, this is a "Blu-ray" & DVD set; meaning that since this is the "First Time" these cartoons have been transferred onto a home viewing media in HD, it makes perfect sense to have familiar cartoons on it.

I mean, if you were going to release material that is very popular in the general public --in HD on a Blu-ray-- would you honestly package totally new cartoons that have never been released before; or would you package some of the more popular and memorable ones?

Yes, for those of you who haven't started buying a lot of Blu-rays yet, the DVD version of this set "will seem redundant." And I'm not saying that it isn't. But for the sake of the Blu-ray, it makes enough sense that cartoons released multiple times previously were inevitably going to show up on this set.

Furthermore, as to what ~Albert Hansen said about the HD transfer not being up to par: I just took a look at Blu-ray.com's screen-shots of some of the cartoons, and they look as clean and high-quality as I would have expected; not at all what is possible to get from an up-conversion from a DVD. A DVD can only hold so much, so you can't really up-convert 480p footage to anything that could rival full 1080p; and these screen shots are in Full 1080p (only shown in 720p if you're not a member of Blu-ray.com).

My motto is, "If the colors are flat and clean, the outlines are sharp, and you can see the film grain; then that is a proper HD transfer of an Animated Film." And that is certainly true with these screen shots. If the people who have gotten the Blu-rays don't think they look great: they either don't have a large enough TV with 1080p capability; or they've made the same mistake my dad has made, of NOT plugging in their Blu-ray to their TV with an HD cable, and instead tried to plug it in with an old A/V cable: which WILL make your footage look On-par with an Unconverted DVD. lol

So, I am sorry if you feel cheated. But for having the Looney Tunes in Full-HD for the first time ever on Blu-ray, I must insist that this is not a waste of money. And even if I had bought all of the Golden collections before, I still would have probably bought this because I am a sucker for HD footage of anything I have ever enjoyed in SD. Seeing my childhood memories in crystal-clear picture is one of my favorite past-times.

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 12:40:13 AM PDT
okay so you named 6 episodes on platinum that aren't on golden. is there anything on golden that isn't on platinum!? i'm sure there is but should i forget that and wait for platinum volume 2!!!???

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 6:56:12 PM PDT
There are 6 Volumes in the GOLDEN collection so, yes, there are many not on the platinum yet.

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 3:02:48 PM PDT
W. Riddle says:
So you don't actually have this ;product and instead upset with how the company is handling the franchise.

Posted on Mar 11, 2016 10:20:37 AM PST
DrXenos says:
God, I really hate the "double dipping" whines. The media companies are going to continue to product new releases. GET OVER IT. No one is forcing you to buy them. If you "treasure" your Golden releases, then why do you even care?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2016 10:30:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2016 11:28:48 AM PST
I care because I 'd like to add releases that I don't already have, not duplicate large numbers of what I do already have.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›