5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value - but be careful where you order it from..., October 13, 2008
This review is from: Transcend 8 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card with USB 2.0 Card Reader TS8GSDHC6-S5W (Personal Computers)
I purchased the 16GB version (Transcend 16GB SDHC CARD with Compact Card Reader) of this package a few months ago. The card was meant to be used in my Canon S5 camera. But I soon discovered that it works extremely well with the included card reader as an USB flash drive (much larger and faster than my SanDisk 4GB Cruzer Micro). So I ended up using it mainly for data backup and transfer between my laptop and desktop computers. The card has proven to be fast and reliable in the past 2-3 months of daily usage.

As first I was skeptical about Transcend's speed rating of 'class 6', which means minimum 6MB/S when writing. But my own benchmark results (see Customer Images) showed that this card is capable of writing typical photo files at 10.5MB/S - nearly twice its specified minimum data transfer rate. Just for reference, the Sandisk 8GB EXTREME III claims a faster speed of 20MB/S, but it costs about twice as much.

Considering its low cost and respectable speed, this Transcend card is an excellent buy. But please make sure that you order it from a reputable vendor only. Several reviewers who ordered the 16GB version from TheMemStore complained that they received some no-name card reader (instead of the Transcend DRS5). This may explain why some people have encountered problems when using this card.

[update on June 8, 2009]
I have purchased a total of three Transcend SDHC cards (two 16GB + one 8GB) in the past 10 months. They all worked perfectly so far. The second 16GB card is for use in my new Canon Rebel T1i/500D. I have heard that some other brands of 'class-6' cards cannot keep up with the camera in video mode, and will cause buffer overflow within a few minutes. But the Transcend card has no problems at all. I'm going to purchase my 3rd 16GB card next.

[Update on Sep 14, 2009]
I have highly recommended Transcend SDHC cards in the past, becuase they were much cheaper than Sandisk Extreme III (class-6) cards, and worked just fine in my applications. But in light of many complaints about Transcend card failures, and my recent finding that SanDisk Ultra II (class-2/4) cards are just as fast as Transcend 'class-6' cards, I must now recommend Sandisk Ultra II as a better and safer choice.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2008 12:01:01 PM PST
Barnmom says:
You seem like you know your stuff...I have a question that you might be able to help me with. My children just gave me a digital photo frame for Christmas...I was wondering if a memory card can be down loaded to another memory card, so that I can put my photos on the card for my frame and then download more photos as I go?
Please let me know if you can or can't help me out here!
Thanks,
Michelle, Barnmom

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2008 2:45:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2008 4:04:28 PM PST
Bammom,
You can transfer image files from one memory card to another. However, you generally have to go through a computer to do this. For example, let's say you have many images on SD card 'A' in your camera, and you wish to transfer some to SD card 'B' for your digital photo frame:
1. Insert card 'A' to the card reader of your computer
2. Locate the image files on card 'A', and copy them to a directory on your hard drive
3. Remove card 'A' and insert card 'B' to the card reader
4. Copy selected images from your hard drive to card 'B'

It is best not to physically swap card 'A' and 'B' between your digital camera and photo frame. Each digital camera has a particular way to organize image files in a directory structure, so if you mess up the directory, the camera may not be able to see those images again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2008 6:58:41 AM PST
Barnmom says:
NLee the Engineer,
Thank you for the instructions...I'll print them and have them on hand; however, my next questions is:
Do I need to purchase a card reader then...is that correct...or is there a card reader in my computer??? You can tell I'm not the experienced with this card stuff.

Michelle

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2008 9:47:44 AM PST
Barnmom,
If your computer is fairly new (like less than 2-3 years old), it probably has an integrated multi-card reader. The reader should be easily accessible from the front panel, although some may be hidden behind a door. However, such a built-in card reader may not be compatible with the latest SDHC card, which is used by most late model cameras. So to minimize your potential problems, I recommend buying an inexpensive multi-card reader such as the Transcend M5:

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2009 8:55:34 PM PDT
T. Lemelin says:
Just a clarification... laptops mainly have built in card readers, but desktops do not. You may occasionally find one, but those will be the exception, not the rule.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2009 7:33:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2009 7:35:54 PM PDT
K. Orrson says:

All the HP desktop computers have it in the Front Productivity Ports.
Yea the even their low end $279.99 computer also has a 15-in-1 memory card reader.

And with the reliability of Dells now history I would not order one if they had a reader or not.
They are so cheap now they save the pennies on cheap parts and lack of extras.
They closed their great technical forums last year because it was filled with the constant DOA and breaking parts combined with shoddy service. They just wiped them clean, deleated all the helpful >10 year history of posts from fellow users trying to get Dells to work!
No wonder HP overtook Dell's crown.

Posted on Jun 4, 2009 11:41:59 PM PDT
Ram says:
hey, i just want to ask where did you get your order.. I mean who's the vendor? I wanted to get one of this and I just want to make sure that I am going to get it for from the right one.. thanks...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2009 10:26:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2009 10:27:09 AM PDT
Ram,
The first Transcend 16GB SDHC card I purchased (back in Aug 2008) was directly from Amazon.com. It has the correct Transcend S5 card reader.

The second card I bought one month later was from TheMemStore. It came without the card reader. I returned that card and re-ordered it from Amazon.com later.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2009 6:21:58 PM PDT
S. Kan says:
I just bought transcend S5W card reader and I would appreciate very much if someone can tell me how to make it read a video from SDHC card with my mac OSX.

Posted on Oct 20, 2009 5:20:27 AM PDT