Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun - As long as you know what you're getting, October 11, 2013
This review is from: Deadpool - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)
Ok... The only reason I gave this game a shot is because I'm a huge Deadpool fan (like many of you reading this). If you expect this game to be the next God of War, you'll be very disappointed. However, if you have an open mind and just go with the flow, you'll be just fine.

Combat - The combat isn't as polished as one might hope, but it's still entertaining. Deadpool is kind of a hybrid because I can't really classify it as a hack and slash, nor can I call it a third person shooter - it's a mixture of both. If you wanted to, you could get through much of the game by relying on your guns, or your primary choice of combat could be melee attacks (I predominantly used melee attacks). The biggest gripe with combat (regardless of your style of play) was the horrible camera. I've played several games that had questionable camera play, but Deadpool is by far the worst. When using a melee attack, the enemies tend to move around a lot, and before you know it, the enemy is out of view, and you end up dead. Very similar issues with gun-play. The auto-aim is weird and doesn't work all the time, resulting in enemies ending up out of view, and you can guess what happens next. With most games, I usually prefer to dodge attacks as opposed to blocking them. However, the terrible camera causes the evading of attacks to work against you. After evading an enemy, you'll lose where you are on the screen, and consequently end up dying (This is one game that would greatly benefit from blocking attacks, as opposed to evading). Once you get the hang of the camera, you'll just have to adjust your combat style accordingly.

Weaponry - Lots of weapons; but I only tried half of them. At the beginning of the game, you'll start off with the katana swords (all weapons are upgradable). They're good for some quick hack and slash, but not very powerful. You'll also start off with two pistols. If you're interested, you can do cool combos such as thrusts an enemy in the air with your sword, then shoot holes in him while he's suspended in the air (very similar to DmC, but nowhere near as polished). I later on purchased a machine gun that's very useful for picking off bad guys from a distance. I saved my favorite weapon for last - The 20 pound hammers! Man, I'll tell you what... It was love at first sight with those things; they're slow, but powerful as hell! I really wish I could import those hammers into other games because they're extremely fun to use. As I mentioned earlier, there are other weapons available for purchase, but once I discovered the hammers, I wasn't interested in anything else.

Enemies - I was pleasantly surprised by the variety. During the first few hours, I was a little scared because I kept seeing the same enemy type(s) over and over. Luckily, variety picked up as I moved along. Unlike many other games in this genre, there were quite a few one on one battles with non-boss enemies. Sadly, this experienced was slightly diluted because of the terrible camera. Overall, the bad guys were not exceptionally difficult to defeat, until you reached the bosses. Sighs... The Deadpool boss battles were the most difficult battles I've ever been a part of. They were hard because of the camera, cheap attacks, and unfair advantages. Hell, one battle featured three bosses at once, while another had as many as 10 or 11! Sounds crazy, huh?

Miscellaneous - Deadpool is a linear game that offers very little to do, outside of combat. In other words, there are no puzzles, very few collectables, and no exploration. This can be good or bad, depending on what you're into. Although there's no exploration, I still believe a map would have been beneficial. There were several occasions where I was inside a building and I had no idea where to go or what to do. This would be extremely frustrating if Deadpool wasn't such a funny guy with hilarious commentary.

There are two reasons I deducted a star. The camera was unforgiving, and either a map or something pointing you in the right direction was sorely needed. Despite those shortcomings, it's still a fun game and I'm glad I played it. If you're a Deadpool fan, definitely get it! If you're not a Deadpool fan, and you're looking for something short and pretty straightforward, you should give this a chance. Puppeteer, you're up next!

[Add comment]