Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes-- you don't have to be a raw foodist to enjoy them, either, June 10, 2006
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People (Paperback)
I like a lot of raw things; though I eat a regular diet, I've preferred a lot of my foods raw for years--definitely fruits and vegetables, and some other things that would probably upset a vegan or two.

Cornbleet's book was recommended to me by another Amazon reviewer, and I have to say, this is one book of recipes on raw foods that doesn't require a kitchen full of obscure appliances and a direct pipeline to Whole Food's exotic produce section. You can make most of these recipes from things you find in any grocery, with perhaps the addition of raw nuts like almonds, walnuts and cashews from the Indian grocery store (because they carry them in reasonably good-sized bags and are priced well, too.)

I tried the "Creamy Tomato Soup." This is a kind of gazpacho made simply with tomatoes, avocado, basil or dill, olive oil and some seasoning like salt, onion powder, garlic cloves and pepper. I made a batch, using Adobo powder because I was out of onion and garlic (this is a garlic salt with herbs used in Latin American cooking.) And, yes, think of it, I was out of onion salt and garlic but I did have an avocado and fresh basil. Pretty strange, I'll admit it. I tossed in the best of extra-virgin olive oil we had. Result? A creamy, frothy pink soup, served chilled that tasted like a buttery version of gazpacho. I had to keep from eating the entire batch in one sitting. It was refreshing and soothing. This soup can be lightly warmed if cold soups don't float your boat.

The book has attractive photography, which helps you choose some recipes like raw wraps, either in kale, cabbage or nori wrapping or you might go for the desserts which were numerous and very luscious-looking (fig cake, key lime mousse, berry crisp.) The "spaghetti" made of spiral-cut zucchini with a raw coulis of tomato, dried tomato and other herbs was served with walnut pate "meat balls." We can't eat wheat, and this was a beautiful presentation. Only problem is ONE of us doesn't eat nuts and this book is chock-full-o-nuts. I suppose you can use hemp seed or sunflower seeds if you are anti-nut, but this WILL present an issue for those who are allergic.

The author points out that raw food can be made with a blender and not much else but a cutting board and can be good for campers or motorhome travelers who may not want to go nuts with a stove.

This book has some very tempting but healthy recipes and is a nice way to get your five servings of veg a day without pounding down boring salads or boiled cabbage. Recommended!!

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2006 3:29:57 PM PDT
Tiffani says:
I am so happy that this person mentioned that there were pictures. I get more inspired by what I see it before I make it.

Posted on Dec 19, 2006 11:00:31 PM PST
Her Dotness says:
And as another reviewer points out, the result will look just like the picture. It's probably a good thing there aren't more pictures, or most of us would spoil our copy by drooling on the pages. Unlike the more gourmet-oriented raw foods books, these aren't artsy pictures either, just accurate representations of what the food will look like if you follow Cornbleet's meticulous directions.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2007 8:55:03 AM PST
Joanna D. says:
Cornbleet is a genius. This food looks and tastes like heaven. And a friend started on her spaghetti recipe and took off over 50 pounds. Good and good for you.

Posted on Jul 12, 2008 8:56:39 AM PDT
Phoebe H says:
thank you for mentioning all the nut recipies...I don't do nuts. You saved me some money.=)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 9:40:07 PM PDT
S. Burton says:
Excellent review and comments! Thanks, everyone.

Posted on Feb 1, 2009 9:47:18 PM PST
Venuziak says:
I try to minimize my nut intake and I am grateful you mentioned this book uses lots of nuts. Is there a raw cookbook or DVD you can recommend that does not rely heavily on nuts? Thank you so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2009 3:43:48 AM PST
Most raw books rely on nuts to provide proteins and "milk." I have a non-nut eater in the house and I use sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds where I can (sesame can also work but alas he doesn't do sesame, either.) There really is no substitute but these items, plus sprouted beans seem to work moderately well. If you aren't a stickler for "raw totally" you can substitute rice milk for some of the nut milks. It's tough.

Posted on Jan 18, 2010 3:34:38 AM PST
L. Zabrodski says:
Does this book tell you the calories, fat content, etc of recipes? I find most raw books do not and I do not want to go overboard with the nuts when I would like to lose weight.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2010 3:47:29 AM PST
Joanna D. says:
The book doesn't have nutritional data. But since the primary source of protein in this kind of cooking is the nuts, if you were to eat only from this book, you'd probably not have an issue as it is by nature low caloric and high fiber.

For example, "spaghetti and meatballs" is spiralized zucchini (few calories) and walnuts made into meat balls.

It's relatively low-density nutrition except for the nuts, and there are no beans as they would have to be eaten raw, and dried beans really can't be eaten raw. Seeds and nuts substitute for these items.

Overall my impression is that this is a low nutritional density set of foods as raw vegetables are fibrous carbs primarily. I'd be more worried about eating too much sugar from dried fruit.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010 9:38:58 PM PST
P. Katopol says:
And remember, you don't have to make the nut 'meat balls.' I've made the zucchini spaghetti several times, once with the nuts to test out the recipe, but every other time without them.

I got this book a year ago and wasn't pleased. As one reviewer said, some of the recipes are pretty simple; maybe too simple. But then I wanted to make a more determined effort to get into raw and recalled that her recipes didn't require a lot of strange ingredients nor a dehydrator, as are required by a lot of raw cook books. Now that I've reviewed it again, I'm very satisfied with it and it has stopped me from buying a bunch of other raw books that would probably drive me crazy.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›