5.0 out of 5 stars Price is right and Sound is Great, April 27, 2008
This review is from: Sony PS-LX300USB USB Stereo Turntable (Black) (Electronics)
The reason that I wrote this review is because when this product was new I could not find a single review on this turntable before I purchased it. I had been shopping for a turntable for quite awhile, reading reviews and product specs until I finally decided on the PS-LX300USB mostly for its appearance, price, USB capabilities and the Sony name. I've had this turntable for several years now and I am still very pleased with its performance.

Here's what I like about this turntable:
Great sound that in my opinion equals a number of CD recordings of the same music; USB connection that easily allows conversion of analog music to digital files; The MP3s that I made sound good. It is black and blends in well with my other stereo equipment and doesn't look like a bloated silver flying saucer (like some other USB turntables); Easy to operate; Price is great; Software works pretty good once you figure out how it operates.

As for my opinion of its shortcomings: I've owned this turntable for years now and there are a number of other turntables out there with equal or better features to consider. The plastic construction has a light cheap look. The software instructions in the manual will lead you to select a "record" option that will prevent you from hearing the audio as you record it. This was a little annoying until I found the "Vinyl Recording" feature under one of the drop down menus at the top of the screen.

Conclusion:
It does the job for a great price but there are other turntables with more features to consider for not too much more money. I still recommend it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2008 4:30:56 PM PDT
S. Fulton says:
Thanks a lot for the review. Perhaps you could also update it to include info about the audio outputs? Specifically I was wondering if it offers line level RCA outs.

Posted on Jul 4, 2008 1:42:28 PM PDT
J. Neill says:
How did you find "Vinyl Recording" feature? I'd buy this right now, but I don't want to have something I can't monitor as it records. If I can hear it while transfering to mp3...I'm in!!

Thanks

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 9:39:29 PM PDT
I am Garth says:
I enjoyed your review of the Sony USB turntable. I know everyone goes to MP3 these days, but I'm interested in full CD quality of sound. Can someone provide positive affirmation that CD quality is available ftom this unit? I understand it's done mostly through the software anayway, but does the complete software come with the unit, or do I have to go to 3rd-party vendors? Someone please verify.

Posted on Oct 18, 2009 1:18:42 PM PDT
Big shot to the foot. You can record an album and have the software set the track break points between the song, but if it gets it wrong and you have to correct it, there is no way after dropping out of the wizard to then save the individual tracks in the recording. In short, you can not do in the software what the wizard can do after the fact. Ridiculous oversight.

Posted on Jan 7, 2010 9:35:59 AM PST
G. Hadlock says:
Can not find the drop down menu for just vinyl recording, and can not hear what I'm recording

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010 9:09:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2010 9:36:35 AM PST
I call myself Jetty:
I guess I'm a dodo. Are you saying it's extremely difficult to get it to make tracks?
I'm not very savvy but would like to have a turntable that would make the files with tracks. If this very difficult with this Sony product (or is it a mild aggravation only) would you please comment? (By the way I have a Macintosh G4 . I wonder if it works with Macs as well! Is it difficult to transfer to CD's through USB ports??)

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 9:04:44 AM PDT
A. Moseley says:
I know it's be over a year since the last comment, but there are plenty of software programs (freeware too) that can break up a music file into separate tracks. Just google it. Also read forums such as videohelp dot com. I think Audacity is probably the best one out there. I think it has to be a wave file first, but surely (can someone answer this?) you can rip straight to wave from this turntable.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 9:52:59 AM PST
Shar58 says:
I have lots and lots of vinyl that I would love to have on CD for my car. I see people talking about mp3's but I want to take them to CD. Is it possible with this turntable?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 7:17:13 AM PDT
I second this!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 2:17:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 2:17:55 AM PDT
Anil Bakshi says:
Shar58 : Once you have the MP3 files on USB, you can burn them on a CD in MP3 or audio format for your car CD player !! You will need a computer with CD burner / writer
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (336 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $69.99