5.0 out of 5 stars Should you order the disk or download?, January 14, 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home & Student 2011 | Mac Download (Software Download)
There has been enough written about using Microsoft's office apps versus Apple's on the iMac. I'll not rehash that here. I need every feature I can get my hands on so I checked Amazon today for the best price on Office 2011 for the Mac. Given that I only have one Mac in the house I was happy to see I could save a few bucks on the 1 license/1 mac version.

Then I saw the download version available and wondered if I should do that or wait the two days for the disks. The item description said it could take from 1 hour and 30 minutes to 5 hours to download. One of the reviewers said the download didn't work. I thought I'd take the risk anyway given I have all the latest hardware and software, fast cable internet connection, a little bit of tech knowledge, trust Amazon to take care of its customers, and am increasingly enjoying the new world of online availability of everything without having to store disks.

So here's my take: It took me 8 minutes to download the software and 4 minutes to install it. Then I had to get back on Amazon for the software key, as you need to quit Safari to finish the install. Upon starting the software it checked for updates and I needed to install service pack 1 which took another couple of minutes. All in all the process was completely error free and under 20 minutes. It doesn't get any better than this! Highly recommend!

The only reason I might reconsider the digital download is if I was unsure about my internet or hardware/software setup. But if that was the case, then I wouldn't be looking at Office 2011 anyway, as it might not work well on my setup anyway. The thing people need to remember is that upgrading necessitates upgrading -- the best way to keep your old hardware is to keep your old software, but when you want the latest and greatest, be prepared for the costs for all the latest to go with it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 2, 2012 3:38:39 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 9:33:09 AM PDT
Persephone says:

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 7:24:40 AM PST
MNBird says:
This downloaded quickly and easily for me too. No issues so far.

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 4:15:51 PM PDT
thetruth says:
Do you have to uninstall old versions? I have Office 2004 - thanks for any replies!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2013 1:00:46 AM PDT
J. Torres says:
No, you do not need to uninstall older versions. But the installation does not replace the old version either. You can uninstall it afterwards yourself to free up the hard drive space. The new version is backward compatible so unless you really need both (think software training) you would likely want to uninstall. You can uninstall before or after the new installation, but doing so afterwards allows the new installation to reuse some of your existing settings.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 3:35:52 PM PDT
Jane C. says:
Do you have the purchase the product key too, or does it come with the software that you purchase?

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 8:00:57 AM PDT
J. Torres says:
No additional purchase necessary -- you get the product key for the download.

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 9:59:46 PM PDT
Actually, it took more than two hours to download. The initial step took about six minutes. But the actual download of 988 kb of data took 2 hours. The installation took about five minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2013 7:19:27 PM PDT
how do you get the product key??

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2013 5:07:58 PM PDT
J. Torres says:
It is provided by Amazon after you purchase this item. You can access the product keys for any downloaded purchases at any time via your Amazon account.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›