4.0 out of 5 stars Legen-dary!, December 24, 2010
This review is from: The Bro Code (Paperback)
For fans of "How I Met Your Mother" this is an amusing, light read. For the few naysayers posting negative reviews on the Amazon site I wonder if they've ever seen HIMYM? If they had the snarky, misogynistic humor of the Barney Stinson character would come as no surprise. You're not getting Hemingway from a book titled "The Bro Code".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2012 11:35:13 PM PDT
Christine says:
I used to like the show, and I did enjoy the book, but only from a sociological perspective. (I found it fascinating, the things it says about our society!) However, on a content level, I found it disgusting, juvenille, and pretty pathetic overall.

Like I said, I used to like the show. I used to think Neil Patrick Harris was playing a character that was intended to make fun of people like Barney. However, the more I watched, the more I realised it absolutely idealizes people like that, and he's the hero of the show. He gets shown the most on advertisements on TV. On my college campus, obnoxious guys absolutely love this character.

So maybe it originally was intended to make fun of people like that. Now, however, all it does is harm our society and feed in to the misogynistic ideals that so many young men already have.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:23:45 AM PST
farfromreal says:
Excuse madame but anyone can be a pompous Christine but the magic in people's lives comes from humor. That being said I would advise you to read the Bible, it's much more humorous and satirical throughout and it idealizes a character way too many people think of as a "God".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 4:45:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 9:42:18 PM PST
Christine says:
I don't see how hating a lame show with predictable humor (It's almost as bad as Two and a Half Men - you can literally guess what the characters will say seconds before they say it) makes me pompous. Furthermore, I don't see how that means I lack a sense of humor. Humor, in fact, is probably the most important part of my life. It's what keeps me going throughout the day, what I rely on for happiness.

I just get it from places other than crappy shows that anyone could write. That's all.

Anyway, I'm guessing your comment about the Bible is intended to incense me. I suppose you think I'm a religious person or something because I think it's a sign that our society is largely misogynistic that they idealize and love a character like "Barney Stinson" so much.

I suppose you just see the world in very black and white terms.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›