Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, nice and clear!, September 3, 2010
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
I was looking for a new camera to replace my 4 year old canon a630, 8mp, 4x zoom before our vacation next month. I was going to go with the sx120is, but it did not have HD video like all the other cameras had on them. Will I use that much, maybe, maybe not, but I at least wanted that option since all the other new cameras have it. Then I found out why the sx120is was going down in price, to make way for the sx130is. I looked everywhere and no one had it in stock yet. Then amazon got it a couple days later and I ordered it. Right away I thought it looked great. Very nice, something to hold onto, unlike the new small size cameras-I just don't like that they are so tiny. Love the big screen on the back. I thought I would miss not having a viewfinder and only using the rear display, but then i thought about it-I only use the display anyways on my camera and never the viewfinder! Sometimes the display looks grainy when not enough light, but after seeing the shot I just took, the pic was perfect. I like that it uses 2 AA batteries since I use rechargables-my other one used 4, so I have 2 extra for a backup now. I love how it zooms in on the face and the smile shutter is a neat trick. Have not played with the hd video yet, but I would have liked a mini-hdmi out of the camera. Also would like the flash to pop up on its own instead of saying on the screen to put the flash up. Other than that, there are so many controls, I'll probably never use them all and mainly use it on auto, which is great! The 12 MP and 12x optical zoom is great. Just note the 4x digital zoom does not work in widescreen mode, but it never did on my other camera either. A great camera to get without paying the extra money for the D-SLR cameras.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2011 7:41:53 PM PST
D. Brewster says:
Just had a question about the flash. Do you have to manually put it up each time you need it? Or is it just if you don't have it in auto mode?
Thanks,
DB

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 8:42:12 PM PST
You do have to pop it up each time its needed. I did find that i dont really need it that much as i did before, it really does shoot well in low light!

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 8:56:12 AM PST
MissyBat says:
I noticed from your review that you previously had the Canon Powershot A630 which I currently have but need to replace. I have been looking at this camera but one questions I was hoping you could answer is how is the next picture return speed (after you take a pic to be able to take the next pic)? I know we had an issue with one we purchased before the A630 that it only took two batteries and the speed to the next pic was really slow. We then switched to the A630 model with four batteries and it was a lot faster. Thanks for your feedback and the great review.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 11:33:21 AM PST
The speed of the next pic without a flash is really good, but if using the flash, it is slower, and sometimes waiting 5-10 seconds to be ready to go while it processes. I don't know if it has to do with the batteries, or just the new technology in the camera. I was a little disappointed in waiting sometimes, it is not all the time though. I will also add that just this week I stepped up to a D-SLR Canon T2I, and I really love it! The speed is amazing, 3.8 shots per second if needed and is really clear.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 6:21:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2011 6:22:18 AM PDT
Ralf G. says:
The shot-to-shot speed can be influenced by touching the release while the monitor is still displaying the "review" (last shot, its length can also be adjusted from 10 to 2 seconds in the settings). Then the monitor switches immediately to live-view for the next photo!
Additionally you can reduce the unnecessarily high MP resolution (without visible loss of details) so that the smaller file will be saved faster to the SD card.

But as Arthur said, reloading the flash really takes longer because of the power supply - time and battery consumption are the reasons why it is useful to keep the flash DOWN as long as it isn't really necessary, so that it won't shoot accidentally in auto mode.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›