5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars, best one of the series, June 30, 2010
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (Special Blu-ray/DVD Single-Disc Edition) (Blu-ray)
I have to say I normally don't review movies. I usually try to stick with books (haha hence my name) I also tend not to see movies that were based on books, they are never right ie: Eragon, Blood and Chocolate and yes even the Harry Potters movies were missing tons of sides stories that were in the books. I saw Twilight the day it came out and was both relieved that it was so close to the book, and frustrated because like the book it lacked action. Only the last five minutes had any fighting. The same was true in New Moon, while it followed the book closely it was only the last 10 minutes where Edward fought with the Volturi that were action packed. I have to say I really liked Eclipse. I found that with all of Stepenie Meyer's books (especially Breaking Dawn) there was a huge build up towards the battle scenes, then it just fell apart. Yes it's for a younger age group, but sometimes a little more fighting and action is good. Eclipse delivered good action through out the movie, especially the 'big battle' I found myself wishing that the screen writers would have put this much effort into the first two with the action. David Slade, the director, also did Hard Candy (amazing movie) and 30 Days of Night. I think it was brilliant to bring him in on the project and hope he stays for Breaking Dawn.

I also am glad to say that Kristen Stewert has better facial expressions in this movie. She doesn't look like her face is frozen in only two expressions. Edward also delivers more side comments with good comedic timing. Jacob is hurt in this movie, but the interaction between all three is much less forced and more natural than the first two movies. It is without a doubt the best of the bunch. I won't bog down this review with the plot, because obviously 99% of the people going to Eclipse have read the book at least twice. I can say though that unlike the other two movies, I actually found myself wondering what happens next, and looking forward to how Bella and Edward (and yes Jacob) would react. I'd say if you've been on the fence about the other two movies go see this one, if you hated the first two movies, this one is infinitely better and if you loved the first two movies, I can only say you will love this one even more.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2010 9:38:49 PM PDT
Thanks for the review, I actually wasn't going to see this movie because I didn't like New Moon, I'll definitely give it a chance though if there's as much action as you say. Thanks!

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 9:43:25 PM PDT
Graphic says:
My Daughter just saw it with me... Jacob had no shirt the entire movie, I could hear the women awwing over it. Thanks for the review though it was better than the first two movies by far.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 7:42:21 AM PDT
Amanda Mason says:
Trust me, it's 1000x better than New Moon.

Posted on Jul 18, 2010 4:03:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2010 4:05:52 PM PDT
Jean Huckeby says:
I haven't read any of the books since I wanted to be surprised. I love both of the first two and Comcast "On Demand" was generous with free shorts. I just saw New Moon and watched it over and over again. This is surprising since I have never liked Vampire movies other than these. I am waiting for the Wish List copy of Eclipse and will no doubt watch it many times and enjoy owning it. I am pleased with the above feedback ( the first I have read). I didnn't go gaga over the shirtless Indians since I am 80 year old and past that. I admire him for working so hard obviously to get in that condition. He is beautiful.

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 1:35:16 PM PDT
I agree with you absolutely! You are right on. I left the movie theater extremely frustrated after New Moon. At one point I found myself rooting for Victoria because I was so fed up with broken-heart drama displayed by all 3 characters (Bella, Jake and Edward). But not so with Eclipse. I am looking forward Breaking Dawn and hope that the movie writers and director, to your point, include more action and less drama!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2010 9:30:55 PM PDT
Jean Huckeby says:
I loved New Moon and watched it repeatedly. I am on the list to purchase the next movie and plan to watch it even more often. I think you must be young, love takes patience and time. As I am 80 years old and outlived two husbands I have a little more experience. I'll wait for Eclipse, then New Dawn to start production this fall. enjoyment doesn't come overnight. I'll buy one of the books next.

Jean Huckeby

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 10:32:59 AM PDT
i found this review to be utterly right and honest. for one, i am a twilight fan, I own and 've read the books twice, also the movies, which i merely keep as a collection now, because i gotta admit that although i do like them the movies have just begun getting better after New Moon... Twilight was not very faithful to the book, however New Moon was, the problem with it was the acting was a little incredulous, Eclipse however really made a difference, acting and script wise, the story was more detailed, and the acting flowed more natural.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2010 11:10:19 AM PDT
Rhonda Karr says:
Jean, it's "BREAKING Dawn".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2010 5:25:25 AM PDT
Jean Huckeby says:
I am 80 yo and do not go gaga over a bare male chest. If you want to see a good movie with James Pattison that he made before Twilight. See "Remember Me" he expresses a lot of sexual expression and the ending is touching. I liked it. I remember how it was before my husband died 12 years ago...now I go to bed with my cats and a good book. Enjoy it while you have him. I miss him. I just joined the Doubleday book club and purchased the Twilight books. I want to compare and remember.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2010 9:51:32 AM PDT
DM Bunny says:
Who is James Pattison ? You mean Robert Pattinson ?
Anyway - the film Eclipse wasn't bad but still too much pre-teen romantic mush , surprising for a director like David Slade , summit obviously hold a tight rein on this series.
I enjoyed the film but found the vampire killings a bit like "whoops there goes the best bone china" - I understand it was toned down to let kiiddies see it but honestly , breaking into pieces of porcelain wasn't very realistic even in an unrealistic twilight fantasy.
It was better then the tedious New Moon but I don't think either movie can compare to the magic of the first movie - twilight.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›