5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and reliable, April 8, 2012
This review is from: Anker® AH121 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 36W Power Adapter [12V 3A High-Capacity Power Supply and VIA VL812 Chipset] (Electronics)
[Edited to emphasize that this hub was tested on my USB *3.0* port.]

I installed this Uspeed USB 3.0 7-port hub on my Windows Vista Home Premium system. It was very easy, works right out of the box.

SPEED

I tested this against a USB 2.0 10-port hub I own and the results were as follows:

** Transferring a 1.71 GB movie file to Western Digital My Book Essential 2 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive via the USB 2.0 hub: 1 minute, 6 seconds.

** Transferring a 1.71 GB movie file to the external hard drive via the Uspeed 3.0 hub: 26 seconds.

Both hubs were connected to a Plugable PCI Express to SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port. The difference in speed is significant.

POWER

Whereas my USB 2.0 hub could function without a power adapter when attached to a powered USB port, this USB 3.0 hub could not. It must be plugged into an outlet or no USB devices attached to it will work. Keyboard, mouse, fingerprint sensor, flash drive, headset, external hard drive -- no-powered, low-powered, self-powered -- the computer cannot see them unless the hub is plugged into the outlet.

When it's plugged in, this hub will charge USB devices even when the computer is off. That makes it a handy USB charging station. It's how I charge my Kindle Fire overnight.

COMPATIBILITY

I plugged in my USB 2.0 flash drive into this hub and it works. I plugged the hub into a USB 2.0 port. It works. This Uspeed USB 3.0 hub is compatible with all my 2.0 devices and ports.

LOGITECH

I know the product description says Logitech devices do not play nice with the hub. That had me a little worried, because I own all manner of Logitech devices. But not to worry. I have my Logitech mouse, Logitech keyboard and Logitech headset all hooked up to this hub right now. Everything works, no problem.

_____________________

PROS:
+ 7 USB ports
+ very fast transfer rates
+ compatible with Logitech devices
+ charges devices when computer is off
+ backwards compatible with 2.0 USB ports and devices

CONS:
- must be plugged into an outlet to work
- seven very bright, blue LED lights (only light up when port is active)

_____________________

OVERALL IMPRESSION

I love the increase in speed. Believe me, it's noticeable. This Uspeed hub plays nice with my computer and all my devices, no problems at all.

This product was provided for review by Laptopmate.
______________________

UPDATE 4/24/12: After using this hub for a few days, I have noticed one problem. Occasionally, some of the ports turn off and stop communicating with the computer. In order to reset them, I must take out the power plug and plug it back in. This happens with or without my Logitech devices. Laptopmate sent me a second unit that also behaves the same way. They have concluded it is the overload protection stepping in to turn off the ports. The way I use this hub, I consider it a minor inconvenience. It doesn't happen every day and it's easy to fix. It is an inconvenience all the same and may be more of a concern for those who rely on the hub to be always on, so I will adjust my rating from five stars to four stars.

UPDATE 5/12/12: I continued to try different tactics to fix my problem until finally, I tried plugging my hub into a different USB port on my computer. That seems to have done the trick. I did not think it was the port. My controllers were set to not turn off the device. Nevertheless, ever since I switched ports, I have not had any problems. Right now, I'm connected to now is a USB 2.0 port. I am going to install a different USB 3.0 port and try this hub on the new port later. For now, I will update the star rating to reflect my original opinion. It is a five star product.

UPDATE 6/12/12: From a comment I received, it appears unclear, so I will emphasize that the USB port was tested and reviewed on a USB 3.0 port. It was after some problems that I moved the product to a USB 2.0 port. The problems were unrelated to the hub. They were caused by the port, so that is why I rate this product 5 stars.

UPDATE 10/14/12: The above review is for the old version. The seller gave the updated version the same ASIN#. I will be reviewing the new version soon and amending this review shortly after.

UPDATE 10/27/12: The new and improved hub looks just like the old one but with two upgrades:

1) The power adapter was changed from 12V 2A to 12V 3A. What this means is it's better for charging high power devices. I always try to charge my tablet on devices with higher amps, because it charges more quickly.

2) It includes the latest VIA VL812 chip. The manufacturer claims it runs cooler, more efficiently and has broader compatibility. It's definitely cool to the touch, and I am impressed with the compatibility.

Remember my problem above with the Plugable PCIE USB 3.0 port? I have had absolutely no problems using this new and improved 7 port hub with that port. Wonderful! Now, I can plug my hub into that port and take full advantage of this hub's 3.0 capability.

This product's rating is a solid five stars and remains so. I am very happy with the improvements the manufacturer has made.

The upgraded product was provided for review by Laptopmate.

UPDATE 6/20/13: My apologies if the page changes. I just want to clarify my second unit is the 7 + 1 charging port. I am still using this hub.

UPDATE 8/3/13: I have found one product that works primarily on USB 2.0 ports: my ScanSnap scanner. It will not work with this 7 + 1 hub, but it will work with my Tek Republic TUH-300 USB 3.0 4 Port Portable Hub. So, the Anker is not completely backwards compatible with USB 2.0 products.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2012 4:33:47 PM PDT
Why is it a five star product? You have it running off a usb 2.0 port. Even the cheapest hubs work fine for usb 2.0.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 5:22:35 PM PDT
Noname says:
Because on my 3.0 port, the hub is noticeably faster (see review -- I was testing it on a 3.0 port). It is my 3.0 ports that shut down occasionally. There is nothing wrong with the hub. I know that, because I was having problems with another product on those 3.0 ports.

The problem I have with my 3.0 ports is the reason I have it now on my 2.0 port. When I get a new 3.0 port, I will switch the hub to that port.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 5:35:47 AM PDT
Great breakdown and update to the rating! I appreciate your effort in how you explained your problem and resolution!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 6:31:28 AM PDT
Thanks!.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 1:12:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2012 1:12:49 PM PDT
CarGuy says:
Do you think this hub will work as well if connected to a USB 3.0 add in card connected via a PCI Express x1 port?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 1:56:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2012 1:57:08 PM PDT
Noname says:
This was hooked to a PCI Express card, as I tested in the review. The problem I had with it I think stemmed from the incompatibility with the card than the product itself, causing some ports to turn off occasionally. The card was also incompatible with my external hard drive, so it was more the fault of the card not being compatible with some equipment.

When I did have the hub plugged into the card and it was performing well, I got the speed results you see above in the review.

Ever since I've plugged the hub into the computer's native USB ports, I've had no problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 7:17:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2012 7:21:50 AM PDT
CarGuy says:
Noname: Thank you for the reply! What add-in card are you using? I installed a Western Digital SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express (PCIe) Card last year and connected two Phantom 1TB USB 3.0 HDDs to it, and knock on wood, it has performed flawlessly. However, I had to leave the nusb3mon file running as part of my start-up/boot configuration for the card to work correctly. Also, I'm still running XPPro SP3 and my PC has no MOBO USB 3.0 ports.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 7:23:44 AM PDT
Noname says:
The Plugable PCI Express card. The link is in the review.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 1:37:39 PM PDT
Clintlgm says:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/WD-passport-not-detected-on-windows-7/td-p/421452,Some older WD external hard drive have issues with USB 3.0 they have a firmware upgrade that will fix that paticular problem.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 2:23:51 PM PDT
Cmte says:
Are you running with Windows 7? Asking because I have the same problem with not recognizing external drives. One day all of my externals are up and running. The next day, 1 or more may be unavailable. The drives are plugged directly into the usb ports on the computer with no hub in between. I had tried a workaround I saw in a MS blog having to delete the driver and then plug drive back in and it would find the driver and device would work. That was only partially successful and now I am back to hit or miss. I need a hub and I like the info and specs on this particular one. I am concerned I will have problems anyway because of my current situation. Any advice appreciated.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›