2.0 out of 5 stars A David Cross Fan Says: Don't Even Bother..., September 3, 2009
This review is from: I Drink for a Reason (Hardcover)
First of all, I have to admit I'm a rabid David Cross fan, seeing all his movies (yes, even Alvin and the Chipmunks) and collecting all of this stand-up cd's including bootlegs where I couldn't pay for them otherwise. This book came out on my birthday, and it was at the top of my list for gifts my g/f could give me. She preordered it, and gave it to me on my birthday.

I was stoked to read it in the downtime while we were on vacation, only to be highly disappointed. There are numerous, and I mean numerous, spelling and grammatical errors in the book, to the point of distraction. A professional publishing house should be appalled at the level of errors made.

The book itself starts off funny, but then dissolves into list after pointless list, some taking up 3-5 pages of nonsense. Some sections are written as (unfunny) fictional characters. I found myself skimming over large parts of the book. Example: "Eleven Vitamins You Will Have in Limbo: B12, C, K, C+, D-," etc. This is all in a vertical list, double spaced, meaning the list of letters took up a whole page. On stage, in Cross's voice, hilarious. In a book, it's filler status.

I don't need a tell-all bleeding heart story about Cross's life, but a little more insight into what makes him David, life on the road as a comic, and even mundane Hollywood observations would have been fantastic. All I ended up with was what seems to be a collection of things previously written, numerous pointless lists, and a very few gems (the open letter to Larry the Cable guy is hilarious, but also freely available on Cross's website). Hell, I found more humor and insight from David in the Mr. Show book (a fantastic buy). All in all, it seems pretty lazy. If you must have this, at least purchase it used and save yourself a few dollars. David, what gives?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2009 4:35:05 PM PDT
Dustin Perry says:
I'm right there with you on the spelling and grammar mistakes. As a huge David Cross fan *and* a newspaper editor, I was doubly irritated at the subpar quality of the material in this book. I ordered the audiobook, which is read by Cross, in the hopes that hearing Cross recite the material will be akin to listening to his hilarious stand-up CDs. We shall see ...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2009 7:22:06 PM PDT
Eli B. says:
I might try the audio version, I love his standup. The book has a few good parts, but David would be the first person to rip on something with that many mistakes. Like the bible.

Posted on Sep 11, 2009 4:06:55 PM PDT
G. Radcliffe says:
I too noticed the spelling errors, but, considering in his acknowledgments he thanks people for "priff-reading" his manuscript, I'm wondering if perhaps it was intentional.

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 5:07:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2009 5:13:35 PM PDT
The audiobook is great. As a matter of fact, people who bought the hardcover book only are going to miss out. The entire audiobook is read by David Cross himself. It's full of comments, asides and other weird/funny stuff that is not in the book. Cross probably should have released the book in audio form only, but I imagine there was a lot more money to be made by doing the traditional printed book and audiobook both. I agree with your observation that the text is a little lazy and slapdash at times. But then again, David's standup act is quite lazy too. (At least he doesn't read his bits from cocktail napkins and scraps of paper like his peer Janeane Garofalo). I have never heard an established standup comic say "you know" repeatedly and fumble around for the right words as badly as Cross does at times. But I still think he's hilarious because his observations are so deadly accurate and his comedy has a nice angry edge that other comics are afraid to display. (I have tickets to see him live, as a matter of fact).

I guess I am lucky that I bought the audiobook first and not the hardcover.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 8:19:55 PM PDT
Eli B. says:
Sounds great, I'm going to pick up the audio book then. I still support him live and everything else, I was just stating the quality of both the book and the writing was pretty poor in book form. I like all his live stuff, I don't mind pauses or 'you know' when he goes on a huge long bit right afterward.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2009 11:35:07 PM PDT
David Cross was on Bill Maher's show the other night and said he loved watching Fox News for the "retard parades" and the "misspelled, grammatically incorrect hyperbole" on the picket signs. I was looking his book up because they mentioned it on the show, so you can imagine how sad I am to hear that it's riddled with errors. If you're going to be pedantic and condescending, as David Cross so unapologetically is, you'd better have all your ducks in a row, so to speak. I believe I'll take your advice and go with a used copy, of both the book and the audiobook. If he can't be bothered to make an honest effort to live up to his erudite persona, he doesn't need my cash. Thanks for being honest, unlike some of the sycophants who would blow David Cross no matter what he put out.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2009 6:43:21 AM PDT
Eli B. says:
I've always supported him, but this just seemed like david wasn't living up to his own standard of how he talks about other peoples products and professions. I expected a lot more work put into it, and I expected to be able to read it without errors, bottom line. I am going to pick up the audiobook though, maybe I will like it better.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2009 2:52:06 PM PST
I am listening to the audiobook and am finding it very disappointing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2009 8:10:46 AM PST
Eli B. says:
Ahh man. Maybe I'll just bittorrent it, he already got my money for the first copy. Plus I saw him saying that he snorted coke right near the president and I thought that was kind of lame of him to say.

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 3:00:43 PM PST
A. Condayan says:
This is almost verbatim what I had to say last night to friends about the book and about David. I TOTALLY agree with everything you said. It's lazy, the errors are distracting, and a lot of the book is filled with pointless, unfunny lists. It's like he used the book as a platform to get back at these people who have wronged him (Larry the Cable Guy, some blogger, Jim Belushi). Unfortunately, in setting the record straight, he comes across as defensive and desperate. I hate to say this about his book because I genuinely love him on the screen. Don't know what happened on the page.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›