Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Euphoria, May 14, 2013
This review is from: We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves (Pen/Faulkner Award - Fiction) (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was sick on Mother's Day this year. So I stayed in bed... with this book. I read for 8 straight hours and had to make myself stop before my eyes exploded. I finished it the very next day. Now, I'm in book mourning. You know that feeling, when you finish an amazing novel and are certain no other book can ever be so good as the one you just closed the cover on? That's where I am.

Fowler breaks all of the rules in this book. And she does so beautifully. It takes a true master of the craft to manipulate language and story as she has done. She manages to weave all sorts of scientific information into the narrative without me ever feeling I somehow landed in a text book.

Rosemary is immediately likable. I could relate to her, despite growing up without a chimp-sister. Her need to hide who she is rings true for so many people. She didn't sugarcoat her brother, either. Lowell is painted as the loyal loving brother he was, but also clearly angry and unstable.

Possibly my favorite aspect of this novel: Memory. Rose is honest about her memories and her uncertainty of their truth. The way her parents remember her childhood and the way she remembers it are world's apart, but both are correct.

There are longer more in-depth reviews posted, and I am sure they did a beautiful job of dissecting and recommending this novel. I am still in a place of book euphoria. All I can really say is, this story is amazing. Order your copy right now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2013 12:57:07 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2013 5:14:11 AM PDT
H. A Truett says:
The blurb on the back of the book clearly states Fern's identity. It was never a secret.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2013 5:58:52 PM PDT
Lisalou says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2013 6:02:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2013 6:04:24 PM PDT
H. A Truett says:
I'm sorry you feel that way. If Amazon agrees, I will change my review without complaint. But I maintain that my review includes nothing not clearly stated in the book's summary. It was a fact I knew before opening the cover and it did not diminish my reading experience in the least. To the contrary, it is why I decided to read this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2013 7:46:20 AM PDT
Arthor was on NPR revealing a lot more earlier this week.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2013 5:52:36 PM PDT
Lisa Baker says:
If you read the back of the book it CLEARLY states who Fern is. I thought the review was wonderful. The book is fantastic! The book isnt a mystery about 'who is Fern', it is about the family dynamics on what happens when Fern is 'gone.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013 11:22:04 AM PDT
H. A Truett says:
Thanks. It really is a wonderful book. One of my top reads for 2013.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013 11:22:30 AM PDT
H. A Truett says:
I'd like to hear her talk about it.

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 9:20:54 AM PDT
Abbe says:
I also read this novel pretty much nonstop. It is beautifully written. When I realized where the story was going regarding the sisters (a few pages before it was revealed), I was worried that the plot would turn silly. I was wrong. This is one of the best novels I've read in a long time.

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 9:23:23 AM PDT
Abbe says:
Oh, btw, I do think other reviews reveal too much as do the blurbs on the book jacket.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›