Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for your Mobster Video Collection, September 20, 2010
This review is from: Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 (DVD)
When HBO first announced the showing of Boardwalk Empire, my calendar became marked with bright red highlighter. Every time I saw an image of actor Steve Buscemi in his dapper 1920's attire (my favorite decade in American history), my anticipation grew. I began to research, realizing that Martin Scorsese and producer Terry Winter (The Sopranos), and I was nearly breathless with anticipation.

What drew me to Boardwalk Empire? It was a combination of items. I love the 1920s. There was a romance to that particular era, evident in the films, the clothing, and the music. America was blossoming from a gawky teenage girl and into the full flower of beauty during that magical era. Much of the growing process involved film, music, gangsters, and Prohibition.

When HBO's BOARDWALK EMPIRE premiered, I was as giddy as a kid on Christmas morning.

Scoresese and Winter didn't let me down. Boardwalk Empire chronicles the life of Enoch (Nucky) Thompson (Steve Buscemi). Nucky Thompson is slick, smooth, and runs the Boardwalk with a suaveness that rivals the cunning of a fox. I don't think Scoresese could have found anyone better than Buscemi to play Thompson, for he's able to emit the perfect persona with his sly, crooked smile and darting eyes. Yes, Buscemi fits my image of a gangster of the era, more realistic than any Hollywood has ever attempted to portray in the past. Buscemi is not a handsome man, instead he has that down home reality to his features that makes him more believable as a human being with every close-up that is filmed. Human is what Nucky Thompson is, aspiring for more on the boardwalk. Nucky is complex in his greed and maneuvering, and all the while revealing the little bit of a compassionate heart that he still has beating within him. This heart is shown in his behavior toward Margaret Schroeder (Kelly MacDonald), a pregnant woman who endures a horrific beating from her drunken husband.

The storyline of Boardwalk Empire leaps from section to section, high paced, filled with action and the underground gangland activity that was so prevalent during the time. There are startling little bits of history that will make any fan of the era and mobster history smile with pleasure. My favorite clip was a war scarred Jimmy Darmody ( Michael Pitt) having a conversation with a very young Al Capone (Stephen Graham), while they waited to drive their bosses about town. (No, Al Capone didn't start out his gangster career as the headman;he started at the bottom).

My overall opinion of Boardwalk Empire--Excellent and stunning. I felt as if I had been drawn into a perfectly portrayed world of the past, from the movements of Prohibition, Women's Suffrage, and into the realm of organized crime. Beautifully written for the screen (adapted from the book by Nelson Johnson, Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City), Boardwalk Empire is a must have in your mobster collection.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2010 6:21:48 PM PST
foxfire1013 says:
Gotta agree with that review - plus the characters are all insane (that episode with the river baptism - gack!). My husband has been watching this regularly (each episode several times). I catch pieces of it (fell in love with the show based on the premier episode) because I'm busy. I'm waiting for the DVD so I can watch it when I exercise or at the very end of the day (except then I fall asleep ;-).

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 7:06:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2010 7:06:59 AM PST
Linda Murphy says:
Agree 100%. If Steve Bucemi doesn't get an Emmy for this, I'll be flummoxed. He is simply brilliant and it's the perfect role for him. The rest of the characters are also excellent. Kelly Macdonald as Margaret is magnificent as well. Characters are so believable.

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 4:50:42 PM PDT
I agree with this post. I have been looking forward to the show since the teasers started. I could never be at the TV when it aired though. Since it is on demand I have watched the first half of teh season until I knew every player and how they all tie together. There are so many. But I love it! Now that the second half of the season has been aded I am sure I will watch those episodes over and over also. Yea, I am addicted!! I love the cast too. I think everyone was cast perfectly with their part. But oh man! HBO hit a home run when they cast Steve Buscemi as Nucky!! He does a great job! I will definately own this series just like Band of Brothers and The Pacific! I too Love that era! :)

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 1:53:45 PM PDT
J. Nehring says:
Is this DVD a full season or just a few episodes? I am SO hooked on it on TV but I have missed some episodes.

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 6:04:00 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 6:07:27 PM PDT
foxfire1013 says:
Good point, however, speaking for myself based on other HBO DVDs I've purchased, I pre-ordered it. My husband loves the show and I do too based on the pieces I get to see (I'm busy). It will be a joy to just sit there, relax, and watch the thing at my own leisure. I'm waiting for HBO to cough up Game of Thrones (another awesome production).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 9:43:00 AM PST
robert says:
great movie that boardwalk empire. but, the amazon price for season l is outrageous. others sell this same dvd for as little as $29.04. how about lowering the price, amazon.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 7:22:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2011 7:25:16 AM PST
Sharklady says:
This reviewer said it all. This is a GREAT show with second-to-none actors throughout the entire series. Right before season 2 started, my cable company offered season 1 on demand. I re-watched the entire season in preparation for the long-awaited season 2 (which turns out to be even better than season 1). As soon as I saw Martin Scorcese's name attached to this show, I knew viewers wouldn't be disappointed. Steve Buscemi is a fantastic actor and director and is just awesome as Nuchy Thompson. Superb casting, plot lines and scenery -- you'll feel like you're right on the boardwalk in Atlantic City in the 1920s. It doesn't get any better than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 7:26:25 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 9, 2011 7:27:01 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 7:27:15 AM PST
Sharklady says:
Give it about a month or so after it's released and you'll be able to get it MUCH cheaper through Amazon and eBay. Worth the wait, especially if you're still able to catch season 1 on demand.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›