5.0 out of 5 stars Great, solid TV., February 11, 2012
This review is from: Samsung UN40EH5000 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (Black) (Electronics)
I received this TV yesterday to add a TV for our bedroom. I own another Samsung LCD so I knew I would be happy with this one.

Since it was going into the bedroom, it didn't need to be fancy or have all the bells and whistles. I figure I'll add a Roku or Apple TV to it and be all set.

While this TV is LED, it's not as thin as you're used to seeing. I believe it's just over three inches thick in the rear, but it has a very thin bezel up front. It has minimal connections in back, but all I'll ever use is HDMI, so that doesn't concern me. Picture quality out-of-the-box is great and became even nicer with a little tweaking. That's usually the first thing I do is try to eyeball calibrate it at first. It's too new to have any good calibration settings posted on the net; I figure I'll use last year's 'D' model as a guideline and wait until settings are posted. I did not notice any flash-lighting with this model -- something that plagued last year's 'D' lineup. I have yet to play any 1080p material on this to really test it (only watched a few minutes of HDTV ((720p)) broadcasts), so I'll update this post when I do.

Note this year's 'EH' line is Samsung's basic model lineup, with the 'ES' being the more expensive, feature-laden models. This is a great set if you want a basic, quality LED with a nice pricepoint.

EDIT 3/5/2012: Update 1080p content. I've set up my streaming process to this TV with some 1080p material and it is gorgeous. We recently watched Toy Story on this set, and I was blown away by the color depth and detail this TV displayed. A small caveat: with all TVs, the speakers could use some improvement. Set on the 'standard' audio output, the sound is fine. If you set it to 'music' or 'movie', the audio sounds much better, but can rattle the TV's enclosure if the volume is set high.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 17, 2012 1:39:49 PM PST
Does this set's screen swivel/rotate on the base? thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 6:58:19 AM PST
shurbuilders says:
The stands of the EH series do not swivel.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 4:50:01 PM PST
D.K. says:
I just purchased this tv. What are your calibration settings?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 11:32:22 AM PST
J. Karels says:
I haven't seen any calibration settings for this 2012 model yet. I've used the 2011's model settings and tweaked them from there. The best bet right now is to use a calibration disc until more information comes out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 5:30:43 PM PDT
G.B.D. says:
where does one get a calibration disc? thanks

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 8:56:16 PM PDT
flowers123 says:
Can I connect this TV to my computer without HDMI connections?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:41:07 AM PST
I can't let the TV stand on the stand? What should I do?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 10:54:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 11:45:37 AM PST
G.B.D. says:
Why not? Are you having a problem with the stand? If it's a problem with the stand, try turning the pieces of the stand around. It's easy to mix up which way they go.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›