3.0 out of 5 stars NORTON 360 V6, March 27, 2012
This review is from: Norton 360 6.0 - 1 User / 3 PC (12 month subscription) [Download] [Old Version] (Software Download)
I have had Norton 360 on all my computers for a few years now and have always felt safe and secure.The other night the computer was acting WEIRD so i ran some scans but Norton picked up nothing.I then ran Malewarebytes Anti malware and it picked a TROJAN>AGENT infection.It said restart to remove but it was still there.I called norton premium support for $89 and they worked on my computer for about 8 hours over the course of a couple of days.They claimed virus was gone but the computer was still acting strange.They also REMOVED my malewarebytes program claiming a conflict between the two programs.I reloaded it and scanned and sure enough the virus was still there but this time it removed it but the damage was already done to the registry and i had to wipe everything clean cause system restore would not work.They speak very bad English and i think i wasted my money on the premium support{they are located in India].I will continue to use the Norton software because i still think it is one of the most highly rated programs in the computer magazines..GOOD LUCK...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 31, 2012 4:11:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 4:12:29 PM PDT
S. Der says:
That's what you get for getting the premium support! A bunch of lies!!!

Norton stupid software is a piece of crap. Get affected and get to pay more $$$. Wow!

I thought having the Anti-Software was supposed to stop these things? Guess Norton don't think so. They are hungry for more Money, nom, nom, nom.

You should had just got malewarebytes and other free anti virus software.

Look what they did. Tell you to uninstall malewarebytes and told you to not to install it again. Then, to trust them. Right?

You didn't.

Installled malewarebytes again and malewarebytes got rig of the infection. What's that? Not Norton.

Well they got your money. So, they don't care anymore. Nom, Nom, Nom

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 12:14:06 PM PDT
Solomon says:
Norton is very ineffective at removing or preventing viruses. but it's pretty good with backs ups and tune ups. for additional protection, please install Microsoft Security Essentials (www.windows.microsoft.com/mse).

It is made and maintained by Microsoft and it is probably the best anti virus software for windows right now. You can have the two running side by side with no issues. I am an IT and I have these two products running together on 100+ machines.

No one product will ever do the job 100%. All that stuff they tell you about conflicting is absolute BS.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 5:25:50 PM PDT
Mark says:
no the b.s is what your proposing running two anti-virus WILL conflict with your machine.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 11:53:25 PM PDT
Solomon says:
oh yea? are you an IT? do you run around removing viruses stupid people get on their workstations?

So far I have seen absolutely ZERO evidence that would suggest that Norton 360 and MSE conflict with each other. But If you install crap like McAfee or AVG, then yes, you will have a problem. Even if you run nothing but the anti virus.

So far from what I've seen, 360 is completely unable to stop newer revisions of Conficker, Sirefef or that weird one that hides all your files and installs a fake anti virus. These are the most common viruses in the enterprise. And MSE does a hell of a job keeping them out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 6:21:07 PM PDT
I am an IT Director for one of the big 4 firms in the US. I can tell you that installing more than a single AV application will ALWAYS cause issues. Not to mention the system resources that will be wasted would decrease any possible ROI. I like MSE myself but have found it lacking in some areas. The recent sheriflame virus was not a virus persay but a mistake at Microsoft when someone let 2 SSL certs expire. Anyway, MSE is also limited and also prone to viruses that can trick it. AV software is always going to be a step behind the blackhat hacking community. No company has the resources to keep up with a global presence of hacking elite. Do what I do, use VMware workstation. Build your perfect install of the OS, Winserver2k8r2 in my case, install all of your software and make it perfect. Now make an image of this system and save it on to a removable USB drive. That is your golden image. Now make a second image and run it on top of the primary. This is the one you use for your daily surfing and tasks. In my case I use ESX and have a VM instance for myself, wife, son, and soon daughter. If they screw up their install I simply delete the instance and grab my golden image and throw a brand spanking new completly configured instance up in a few minutes. The old system is gone forever taking any infections along with it and the new fresh one only takes moments to get running. I am playing with a new idea of making another image only for online purchases and financial transactions. This image will be locked down to where it is only able to bank and buy and will only be used for that purpose. This way if I do get an infection on my daily driver image I don't have to worry about personal infomation being leaked or data being stolen. There are also tons of other options once you start using virtual machines. Give it a try, not as hard as most may think. Can download VMDesktop (or whatever it is called now) for free and use as long as you like. Can have Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac, you name it you can run it all on the same machine and all at the same time if you really wanted. Great learning tool for new folks trying to get into the IT field.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 5:14:21 PM PDT
Thanks, Steven, I had been considering something like this, or a bootable CD that can't be infected. Please connect the final dot, which for me is "how do you protect these images, what software do you use?" Thanks!

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 3:59:42 AM PDT
One of the reasons Norton may not have picked up on is if the virus was hidden within an executable file that user manually allowed into the system. This is the most common reason a good software doesn't detect because as soon the file is in your hard drive, it immediately starts affecting the registry. With that said, if it was an executable, the problem isn't with Norton. You get a warning every time you open such a file because the burden of responsibility rests with the user. Pay attention to what downloads/permissions you allow into your computer, because in all the years I've had any antivirus software, the intrusions I had were always due to me taking risks with a file I most likely shouldn't have. It could have been anything, and by now, it's obviously too late for you to check. But going forward, I would suggest being more careful. Your situation sounds very much like an executable file was carrying a virus.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 9:16:38 AM PST
Ender. says:
Hey Stephen, seems to be a good idea.
What about new programs/files (such as music) that have been added? Do you just trash them?

Also, are there any viruses that can get into the "golden image"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 12:49:27 AM PST
Chris says:
Having something like hitman pro or Malwarebytes to back up your antivirus is a really good idea.I also use Comodo Firewall because of strong H.I.P.'s and behavior blocker.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›