1.0 out of 5 stars Time to break out the ol wallet, December 2, 2013
This review is from: Forza Motorsport 5 (Video Game)
I would like to start first to say that I have owned every Forza game created to include this one and have loved what they have done in the past.

That being said, It is a sad day for gaming when Turn 10 and Microsoft put out a game like this. Asides from the lack of tracks, cars, weather, or day/night (I know its a launch title) so I am not going to go into that. I am upset because Turn 10 made it painstakingly difficult to progress through the game and earn cars through races. They made most races pay out on an average of 5 grand (Forza 4 paid alot higher and "gifted cars" as you leveled). If you want one of the more expensive cars you are looking at about 250 races or 6-8 hours of play. If you will like to see all the cars this lifetime you can purchase TOKENS for real money and receive any car immediately. TOKENS are game credits purchased from xbox live (.99 to 49.00) and can be used for cars and parts, not DLC, If you want the DLC car packs you WILL STILL NOT BE ABLE TO RACE THOSE CARS until you earn enough in game money. The car packs only "unlock" those cars, you will still need to race a good 2-3 hours to afford those cars as well or purchase more TOKENS. This is not a racing sim, it is a 60 dollar prologue on a Free to play business model shamefully extorting their fans. Shame.

If you still feel the need to buy this game google Forza 5 (do not go on Gamestop or Xbox.com) and see what the community states about this game and its microtranactions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2013 10:13:16 AM PST
J. Wilson says:
I'm about to post a 1 star review for the same reasons you stated. They now have a $99 credit pack that I saw last night. I was also super disappointed by the lack of decent Anti-Aliasing and then I saw the money grubbing micro transactions and my heart sank. What a waste of $59.00.

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 11:38:29 PM PST
Won't be purchasing this game, thanks for the heads up

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 5:40:11 AM PST
M. Santos says:
Was thinking to buy the Xbox one mostly because of this game, not going to happen anymore, thanks for the heads up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 5:36:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2013 5:49:54 PM PST
N. Rowland says:
Same. Exact. Words. Avoiding due to micro-transaction hell. If we show our approval of this [microtransaction] system by going ahead and buying it I fear this will start a downward spiral. Lets not start that spiral. I am a huge fan of the Forza series and was going to purchase the Xbox One in order to play this next installment along with a full Fanatec setup (if they ever announce compatibility). I had actually been waiting on this new Forza to make that jump to a wheel. However those plans are now put on hold. I will not knowingly endorse this micro-transaction system. Very... disappointed.

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 4:31:52 AM PST
JJ350 says:

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 2:26:54 PM PST
Vicythian says:
Like others, I was excited about Forza on XBOX One, but I'm glad you told me so I don't buy either until they fix this problem. I haven't found a reason the get the new console yet since COD is getting bad reviews, bf 4 has issues, and Forza is a ripoff. Too bad, wanted a good racing sim.

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 10:57:17 PM PST
Microtransactions? Realy? Does anyone remember the golden age of racing sims on PC? Games like GTR 2, Grand Prix Legends, Richard Burns Rally, etc...These were true race sims and wonderful to play. One part of the beauty of these games is that they were completely open at the start. Everything was available to you. No wasting hours on end just to get money to buy a better car. No stupid license tests. When you crashed your car, they blew up with parts everywhere, then and you were done. You also could make any race you wanted, how many laps, who and what raced, and (wow!)...even qualifying. They even looked more realistic. The lighting effects in new games are just plain overdone. How many times do I have to have the sun in my eyes? I miss those true race sim days. The colecting of cars on the first GT game on the playstation was novel, but ruined it for everyone who just wanted an open race sim. I think many gamers now in their 30's can't invest hours on end just to open up a game. But now charging to open a half finished game is then end for me. Forza, so sad. $60 should be the full game! I think you should also have the option to open the game completly up to those of us who just want to race because of the love of the sport. Hey folk's, it's money grab time!

Posted on Dec 16, 2013 11:20:05 AM PST
Count Dralor says:
Gran Turismo also uses real money, I don't buy racing games anymore.

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 12:57:03 PM PST
Rick Thomas says:
I read this and other similar comments before playing the game but, I was not paying for it at the time anyway so I just played it. This was the first Forza game I have played. The game just got an update that made all events earn you more credits per event. I only played pre update. I just have to really laugh when people say the pay outs in game are so terrible that it hurts game play. I am comparing to Gran Turismo games. I read the award money was bad but I started playing and within a few hours of play I have made plenty of money to buy multiple cars and fully mod them and was able to compete in the P class. Just try to be racing at the level in GT6 in a few hours. I also felt that modifying a car in FM5 is super cheap. I came from GT and FM just seems like a game that is super easy to get plenty of money in the bank to play the game and have a good time. GT has always been GRIND GRIND GRIND to get a good car and then GRIND some more to modify it. With FMs update to the economy system the game will be super easy to get in game credits.

Tokens are a different animal....the game is awesome, they need to make money. There is plenty of game to play without buying tokens and without car packs. I do think that they should have an update(not paid DLC) that has a few more tracks, weather, day/night. Later they could have more tracks in DLC but the games need a few more included tracks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2013 11:31:35 PM PST
Thank you, im glad to see someone else agrees that it is NOT that hard to move throughout the game, getting a massive payout from every race would make it too easy to buy every single car extremely quickly. And i agree also with the Tokens issue, you do not have to buy tokens to beat the game or play it, if people want an easy and quick way through the game, then who cares? I havent boughten any tokens, and iv owned this since launch day and i have played it at least 15 hours. and im loving it still, it is way more than enough of career mode to keep you busy for weeks. And they did lower the car prices a little bit, and increased the payouts for about $4,000 more a race for myself.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (280 customer reviews)

$59.99 $50.39