4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good - a few minor quibbles, January 1, 2014
This review is from: Citizen Men's AT8020-54L "Blue Angels" Stainless Steel Eco-Drive Dress Watch (Watch)
I received this watch as a Christmas gift from my wife. I had been looking at the older A-T blue angels watch (JR3060-51L), but after I got this one I felt that it better served my needs. My wife didn't get me what I had wanted, but she did get me something I think I like more than what I wanted.

The AT8020-54L is, IMHO, a very cool looking watch, and the "Atomic" feature (actually, radio link with the US atomic clock radio station) is very nice. Hint: make sure the antenna (the 9 o'clock position) is pointed at Ft. Collins, Co (West, in my case), and make sure you don't move the watch when it is synching. Synching occurs automaticially at 2am, or you can manually synch. But take the watch off, lay it down, and don't move it while it is communicating.

So it looks good, and keeps good time. The day/date feature is set up to get the days and dates right for much longer than I'll live. The Eco-drive means no batteries. So this is a very, very low maintenance watch, once it's set up. Setup is straightforward.

The dial is 43mm, which is a bit smaller than the older style, but I can read the time easily. Reading the chronograph minutes and tenths of seconds dial is harder. My fifty-something eyes would need bright light and a magnifying class if I was routinely measuring 3 to 60 minute durations. For measuing seconds and tenths, it's pretty easily read. Very easy to operate.

This crystal is sapphire, not mineral crystal as in previous BA watches. So the AT8020-54L is more scratch resistant than older models, and this is more in line with the price point of the watch.

The smaller dial allows the crystal to cover the circular slide rule functions around the outside. The slide rule ring is rotated by a knob (no, it's not a pushbutton) at the 8 oclock location. Even though the slide rule is pretty small and probably isn't practically useful (certainly not for a Blue Angels pilot with gloved hands!), it does bring up one quibble: the moving ring has poor (loose) tolerances. So I can line up one side of the stator and rotator parts (say at the 12 oclock posiition, with 60 aligned with 60), and the bottom of the dial shows an offset due to poor fit. So the bottom has 19 aligned with 19.1. Not a big functional deal, but if you're gonna put a slide rule on the thing, it should work better. The gradations on the slide rule dials being protect them from wear, but all for nought: the sloppy tolerances mean you won't be doing time-distance calcs with this thing.

This brings me to the other minor quibble. The second and the minute hands did not line up exactly with the minute witness marks. So the second hand would traverse "12", and the minute hand would click from 1/6 minute past the minute, to 2/6 (the hand advances in 1/6 minute increments). The minute had can be adjusted (see "reference position" in the manual) by -1/6 minute, and this worked and now gives perfect alignment. But the second hand is still a little bit off and the reference position is only adjustable in 1 second increments. Not a big problem.

Going from time zone to time zone is easy: Pull out the crown one click, turn the crown to point the second hand at the city representing your time zone (I live in Philly, my city was NYC), and push the crown in. The clock then magically advances or retreates to the correct time.

For its price point and feature set, I think this is a terrific watch. I'm extremely happy with it.

[Add comment]