Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, June 7, 2011
This review is from: [OLD MODEL] Crucial m4 128GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT128M4SSD2 (Personal Computers)
I purchased this product for my Asus U36JC-B1 which is the super slim notebook offering from Asus. The speed on this laptop is already very good, but I know with the 500gb SATA at the heart of it, slow down would be inevitable. So after purchasing the Crucial C300 for my HP DV7-2040us I decided to pick up this newer model for my Asus. I cloned my original 500GB SATA drive to this using Acronis True Image 2009 and a external USB 2.5" case. Acronis adjusted the partitions so everything fitted perfectly, including the recovery partition which are critical on these drives considering there is no optical drive.

I also made sure all setting were adjusted in Windows 7 64bit to account for the new drive, including disabling defrag and indexing, enabling TRIM, and if need be disabling LPM in the registry. Make sure you download the latest Intel Rapid Storage Driver, this can have a dramatic impact on speeds and how the drive is handled by Windows.

Intel Rapid Storage Driver: [...]

I am not disappointed with this hard drive, here's why:

Boot times are much quicker,
Application response is very quick,
No unreliability issues (thus far),
Battery life appears to have improved,
Switching from steel to plastic makes it slightly lighter,
Easy to install, remove your old SATA drive and plug this one in, easy!,

Installing one of these is like having a new laptop (in my opinion) the speed increase is dramatic, over and above a CPU upgrade.

I'm not trying to be a poster boy for Crucial but I am so impressed with these drives, I purchased another 2! 1x 128gb and 1x 64gb M4. I have a total of 4 Crucial drives running in different computers.

I highly recommend this product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 25, 2011 12:19:08 PM PDT
r2d2 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 8:30:19 PM PDT
S A says:
I have a quick question. You said you cloned a 500gb hard drive to this one. How much space were you using in the older one. This one is only 128gb right???

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 8:50:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2011 8:53:23 PM PDT
H. Singh says:
I was only using 90GB of space in the 500GB so when I cloned it Acronis True Image modified the drive so the 90GB could be cloned into the drive and it modified the partition size to 128GB.

Its pretty simple to do with Acronis True Image 2009.

I have no had a single problem since I did the clone.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 8:51:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 27, 2011 8:51:38 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011 10:28:06 PM PDT
Turbo Tony says:
What about re-installing the OS on the new drive? Any issues with licensing Windows? I have the reinstall disk (DVD) for Windows 7. No one mentions anyrhing about clone-ing the old HD to the new SDD drive as far as the OS goes.
Thanks for any replies guys..
Tony

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2011 3:16:32 AM PDT
H. Singh says:
I had no problems, as soon as I plugged it in just used it as normal. No activation or anything. Just clone the drive and you're done. This was with Windows 7 64bit.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 6:07:57 PM PDT
R. Cheng says:
Great review. I do have one question.

Is Intel Rapid Storage Driver required for this SSD? Does it help?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 23, 2011 10:47:47 PM PDT
dipling says:
I take it that the recovery DVD created with Backup/Restore utility doesn't work since the new drive is smaller!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 12:54:15 PM PST
AQUASTEVAE says:
you said that you have a c300 as well. how does it compare to the m4? thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 6:36:55 AM PST
S Fahmid says:
@dipling, what Acronis does isn't SHRINK it as in shrinking the data contained, what it does is this:

Lets say I have 50GB of data, operating system files, music, etc, that is taken up on my 60GB harddrive...
Acronis True Image will clone ONLY the 50GB partition that is taken up, copy it over to the 128GB SSD, and allocate the 128GB-50GB=78GB remaining space as free space (that's an increase from the 10GB that you had remaining on the 60GB harddrive).

Note: If you don't want to spend a fortune on Acronis True Image, you can ALWAYS get CloneZilla for free (it's an open-source backup and restore software). Although, I think you might have to Google up some tutorials for it because it doesn't have a point-and-click interface; it looks like MS-DOS or command prompts.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›