Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

4.0 out of 5 stars A runner's pros and cons review of Nike Fitness and Bluetooth, October 23, 2012
This review is from: Apple Ipod Nano 7th Generation, 16GB, Silver (Electronics)
Other reviews did a good job describing other features which work super well, so I will only cover the Nike Fitness and Bluetooth to avoid redundancy.

Pros: This nano has all required Nike Fitness components in one unit. No more need for pods on or in your shoes. Yes it even works on a treadmill and tracks Very accurately. Starting out the Nike Fitness, You can select a run by distance, time, or calorie count. During your run, it pauses the music and with a sweet sounding easily understood friendly female voice, gives you a quick update on your distance, then continues to play your playlist. This I found very cool. If you press the top sleep button while running with Nike fitness, it gives you the time, distance and current pace. I tracked this feature and compared it with my Garmin GPS watch and they tracked fairly well out of the box and only improved with multiple calibrations after I completed my run. The more you calibrate it, the more it learns and gets closer to accurate.

Cons:
1)There is one Huge Fail however. The manual suggests placing it at your waist to use the Nike Fitness. Most runners are waiting for a quality workable armband which I believe would compromise this feature based on the how it works. I will test it on my next run. It seems that the Apple engineers aren't runners. This I believe may be a fail for this feature since it is geared toward runners and runners infrequently wear their ipod at their waist, especially because this Nano lacks a clip. I, however, placed my iPod in my Spi-belt which is a small flexible runner's pouch wrapping around the waist. It is a tiny fanny pack for keys, ipods and such. Remember though, it needs to be at your waist, so finding that button while running when it is enclosed in a pocket proves challenging as well.
2)My other concern is that Bluetooth connected to a stereo headset wouldn't work when it is at the waist. Most reviewers and user manuals of higher end sport stereo Bluetooth headphones state that they were required to place their Bluetooth player on their sleeve in order to get uninterrupted playback. My question to the engineers is-since the iPod cannot be at the waist and sleeve simultaneously will i be able to wear a stereo Bluetooth headset and use Nike Fitness at the same time? I would love to get into the minds of the engineers on this one.

I was also successful with Bluetooth connection with my car. It works, but some features are lost compared to when I sync it directly to the radio via USB. With Bluetooth, I no longer can use my voice activated song or artist request which Ford vehicle SYNC systems have. I would instead have to search on my iPod for my favorite song while driving. That isn't a safe option, therefore not making Bluetooth syncing with my car stereo desirable for me. Also, tag information isn't displayed on my car's stereo while using Bluetooth. Perhaps, a car other than Ford has these features.

I am curious about the Bluetooth connectivity with stereo headsets while running. If anyone has success with this feature and where you placed their iPod to maintain connectivity, and quality of sound reply to this thread.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 26 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:33:06 AM PST
C.W. Fitch says:
If you're doing a specific workout (other than Basic), Nike+ will automatically tell you your milestones; if you're doing a Distance workout, it will tell you how far you've gone and eventually how far you've got left to go.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 6:17:11 PM PST
Tom Schmitz says:
Is the distance calculation by the nano based on a pedometer or GPS? Pedometer results tend to be highly inaccurate individual to individual. Also, calorie calculation is not even close in either walking or running or on a treadmill when based on a pedometer. Is there a way to customize the calculations for individuals?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 9:27:50 AM PST
rpv says:
pedometer/ Nano has no GPS. It is very restrictive. Have been using Nike+ running app now and it is incredible for its features (use GPS for outdoor and accelerometer for indoor)

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 11:17:20 AM PST
X. L. Simon says:
Is the absence of Steve Jobs beginning to show?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 11:28:26 AM PST
rpv says:
You nailed it. Making it simple is good, but complicated at the same time. Not for me. itunes integration with ipod nano, esp fitness feature is very confusing

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 9:53:52 AM PST
Mark London says:
Thanks for the feedback on Ford Sync. I have a 2nd gen iPod that I use with a USB cable. Anticipating the 2nd gen will give up the cost one day, I wanted to hear how the new ones that use Bluetooth work in a Ford vehicle. The connectivity of our cell phones has been spotty.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 8:30:32 AM PST
PC says:
Thanks for the comment C. W. Fitch. You mentioned that the controls work from the Bluetooth headset. Do Rewind and Fast Forward within a track work, or just Pause/Play/Next/Previous? Regarding the 7G Nano and AVRCP, the Apple website (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5479) says "iPod nano works with the pause, play, stop, next track, and previous track commands." I am hoping they just forgot to mention RW and FF, as opposed to forgetting to include the features in the actual product. I would appreciate a live testimony from someone who actively uses the BT controls with the 7G Nano. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 5:09:18 AM PST
Mazzta says:
Did you tried the nano with the Polar WearLink Heart receiver? Polar WearLink+ transmitter Nike+ i have it work in my nano 6th generation (also in my ipod touch -old too-) but i don't know if the feature is still working?

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 6:41:46 AM PDT
I've been using my ipod for a couple of months to track my runs. i've used along side my phones gps and it gets fairly close to the gps distance. i use it in a spibelt on my waist or across my chest. i figured because its a pedometer it guesses based on your height what your stride would be and converts that to a distance. so if it is on your arms, it will read more movement thus thinking you are running faster than you really are. it will always be slightly off because not everyone has the same stride length. i'm a barefoot runner so my strides are shorter so i always get distance that is a bit longer than the actual.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 1:23:56 PM PDT
I use my bluetooth stereo headphones with my cellphone and I keep my cellphone in my pocket when go on walks so I don't see why there would be a problem with keeping the ipod nano at waist level.

Review Details