5.0 out of 5 stars Plug it in, and forget it!, August 22, 2007
As an FYI, Amazon has this product listed 3 different ways as "Motorola Surfboard Broadband Cable Modem SB-5101" and as "Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem" and as "SURFboard Cable Modem". All are listed at 3 different prices, too!

I did a little bit of homework, and the Motorola seemed to have good reviews. This product is supposed to be the same in function as the SB5120 except that the SB5101 uses a slightly different chip set.

I chose to buy a cable modem so that I could replace the rental unit from the cable company. Make sure your cable company supports this cable modem before buying!

For my setup, I have my cable service from the evil Comcast, my cable modem, and an older Linksys wireless router. The day my Motorola cable modem arrived, I took it out of the box, glanced at the Quick setup guide, and plugged it in. I called Comcast, navigated through their Byzantine automated phone menu system, and read off the MAC ID to the tech services person. He did some stuff on his end to first recognize the new cable modem. Then he had to do some other configuration on his end because of the router. Once that was done, viola! We've been using the cable modem for the past week or so without incident.

To me this is the best kind of electronics product. It takes ~30 sec to hook it up, and once it's done, you can forget about it. It took longer to open the package (and much longer on the call with Comcast) than it took to hook it up.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2008 1:32:01 PM PST
2many2read says:
While it's good to know this is easy to set up, it's better to find out if it's reliable over time.

I've my rental Ambit for years and at first it worked fine. Now we have a flickering, intermittent internet connection. (This is for four computers, two different OSes, so it is not an a specific computer's internet setup that is causing the problem.) You know the Comcast tech solution: unplug everything,wait a minute, reboot, etc. O.K., but do we have to do this several times a week? Quite frustrating.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2008 9:58:02 AM PST
Gatorowl says:
How many years have you had your rental?

If more than 3 then reliability is probably not your concern. Electronics do wear out. Reduced reliability is a symptom. If you find that you need to reset more frequently or are having other reliability problems, then it might be time for you to install new equipment.

Posted on Mar 10, 2009 11:05:44 AM PDT
M. Davis says:
Once i read the words "The Evil Comcast", i had to stop! Man, i'm currently stationed in the UK and brother, you don't know evil until you're practically forced to use BT. Because, for instance, although you can use a different ISP you still HAVE to have BT at least as your line rental! Period. There is no cable, only DSL here, so if you're military like me, you should know we're never stationed anywhere convienient! lol. I won't even get into the billing and the customer service (the worst in the world)... It's crazy. I can't wait to go back to the States so i can get Comcast again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 8:02:14 AM PST
Frostbite says:
Just to let anybody know that may be looking in the current years here on Amazon, I've had this model Surfboard for a very long time and it's never failed once. Any outage is always on my ISP's end while they're doing upgrades/repairs and I had a 15mb/s connection, never dropped any packets or speeds in general unless again, the ISP was having issues. I also had the original white model Surfboard and it literally was outran by the internet before it ever quit working, so I highly recommend these.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 7:42:01 PM PDT
D. R. Smith says:
A Comcast rep suggested we could lower our bill by buying our own modem, which was $7/month rental. So we got this, it works well and was easy to set up. Then our bill stayed the same. They started charging us $7/month rental for the phone modem, which was previously free! That week we changed to fios.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:54:04 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 4, 2012 9:55:35 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:55:07 AM PST
Jayess says:
That's why I NEVER let the cable company supply me with VOIP service. Go with an independent service & you get much better results. Cable companies hold you hostage by suckering you in with low rates...at first....then turn up the heat over the following months by nickel and dimeing you to death. Independent phone companies can't get away with that because, unlike the cable companies, they have a LOT of competition. Just my $0.02

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 8:41:43 PM PDT
jj coutts says:
If only I had that option...

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 1:56:06 PM PST
Mike says:
How do you know what modems your cable company supports? (I'm using Comcast as well and looking to rid myself of this rental unit)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2013 9:58:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2013 9:59:55 PM PST
j says:
I did a search because I'll soon be getting Comcast. I have been doing a little research and I found something on Comcast's website : http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ Hope this helps. From these reviews, I think I'll be purchasing this modem. Good luck !!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›