4.0 out of 5 stars Great Launch title for the PS4, November 11, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Knack (PlayStation 4) (Video Game)
UPDATE:
I beat the game over the weekend and without spoiling anything I think it turned out to be a great, sometimes frustrating, experience. In some places I felt like I was cheated being killed with one hit and that's where co-op game will help you a lot while playing it. If the second player dies, you don't have to go back to a previous checkpoint. When I was playing on my own I died so many, many times and when I found out how much I had to play again I wasn't happy because I had already used my power ups.

Another thing you should do is get the mobile app (I got it for iPhone) so it can help you get some of the pieces for gadgets to use during the game, it's your typical 'Bejeweled'- style game but if it helps get those gadgets faster, sounds good to me.

Yes, the story is predictable and the script is VERY cheesy, but I would not rate this game as bad, on the contrary I stand by my first review that it's a 'Great Launch title for the PS4'

ORIGINAL:
I wasn't really impressed when they first announced this game a few months ago. I definitely changed my mind!
As it has already been showed in several presentations before, the game style is very similar to what you would expect from games like Crash Bandicoot and maybe it's just me but I got a feeling it was also similar to Banjo Kazzoie, bringing a lot of really fun memories from a while ago.
My friend and I spent a couple of hours dedicated to the co-op mode only. It was fun, challenging while easy to get into it too. There are a few games that include a good co-op mode in the same screen lately. Most new titles focus more on the online experience but forget that some games were meant to be played with a friend, in the same room. I'm not sure if Knack will be considered one of the greatest Sony exclusives ever but it is definitely worth the money (especially with that deal they had "Buy 2 get 1 free") and time. Since Watch Dogs was delayed (I know it wasn't an exclusive but it was my go-to launch title). This and Killzone will have to make up for it for a few weeks at least.
Also, it's really cool seeing the character grow from a very small one to a HUGE powerful one!
I agree with one comment I read about the game somewhere that the levels are sometimes as amazing and epic as the ones you can find in God of War games
Summary:
-Graphics. The cartoonish style looks so real (You'll understand when you see it). Definitely an improvement from the previous gen but nothing crazy impressive. It will probably be outperformed by titles later in this generation. But for the time being, it looks great!
-Co-op mode is a blast. Probably the best reason to get a second controller right away
-Fun
-Engaging story
-Good variety of things to do

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2013 7:15:34 AM PST
FHM says:
I can't believe people actually win those things! Haha

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 9:54:46 AM PST
fahd says:
why fahad?? why you don't believe this thing :))

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 1:12:38 PM PST
M. stevenson says:
I bought a Subway sandwich and won infamous 2 before it came out a couple years ago. Couldn't believe it myself, of course an entire system pre-launch is WAY cooler...

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 1:21:47 PM PST
What buy 2 get 1 free promo do you speak of???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 1:45:38 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 18, 2013 5:07:53 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2013 1:05:33 PM PST
JPL says:
Target was doing the sale until Saturday

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 1:06:11 PM PST
JPL says:
Great review. These were my impressions from the demo. Now I can't wait to play it...despite what critics are saying.

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 6:04:07 PM PST
JPL says:
I love the way every comment is getting downvotes...yet you have a verified purchase.

Can't wait to play it fully. Thank you for the review.

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 11:06:47 PM PST
JPL says:
I just played an hour through the actual game. Very fun! There seems to be a decent variety depending on the enemies that you fight with some just needing a punch while others you must dodge in timing or use projectiles. I am surprised how much you can actually do with only a few buttons. The characters are colorful as well. I can sorta see where it is going but the journey looks to be the payoff. When I'm done I am going to have to review it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2013 11:07:58 PM PST
ceLeon says:
I'm glad you're liking it. some hardcore gamers might not like it 100%, especially with all the shooters and everything but I think it's a great start to this generation!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (685 customer reviews)

$59.99 $19.96