3.0 out of 5 stars Only highlights--leaves out some great songs, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Les Miserables: Highlights from the Motion Picture Soundtrack (Audio CD)
I never imagined that I would write anything less than a glowing review of this album, but I'm afraid I must do just that. I understand that this is a "highlights" album, but how on earth is "Do You Hear the People Sing" not a highlight?

As for the music that is present, it's good, but it's hard for me to hear the songs being "acted" rather than sung. I'm sure this will make for a fantastic film, but it doesn't make for an amazing listening experience. I never expected for Jackman to equal Colm Wilkinson or Crowe to equal Philip Quast, yet I still feel disappointed. (As a sidenote, Eddie Redmayne has exceeded my expectations, Samantha Barks is as wonderful as I hoped, and I was thrilled to hear Wilkinson as the Bishop.)

A highlights album will inevitably leave out someone's favorite song, and I'd recommend you check the track list before deciding to purchase this album to make sure your favorite song is included--I sure wish I'd done that! Surely they'll release a complete cast recording at some point that will make everyone happy. Until then, I'll keep listening to my favorite Les Mis recording, Les Miserables 10th Anniversary Concert.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2012 5:52:32 AM PST
BMW03 says:
I'm not sure if you listened through or not, but Do You Hear the People Sing is on the cd - it's part of the Epilogue.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:31:37 AM PST
I did. It's always part of the Epilogue. I meant that it's not its own separate song as it is in the stage musical. I thought about this a lot yesterday (because I really, really wish it was included), and I wonder if maybe it was left out because none of the main players have solos on it--it's the song of the ABC revolutionaries. That doesn't make it any less powerful, but it does decrease its mass marketability before people have seen the movie.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 6:53:00 PM PST
Yes, Little Fall of Rain is not on here either! I hope it made the movie.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:17:56 AM PST
M. Salazar says:
If the film does well enough, they will release a complete version. If this seems uncannily familiar to you, this is the sales model used for film to DVD/Blu-ray. They release a barebones version, release a more complete Special Edition, and a Collector's Edition with all the bells and whistles over a period of time because completists will pay for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:01:49 PM PST
This is the song I was sad to see missing, especially since Banks is such a great Eponine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 4:09:31 PM PST
Agnes Scott says:
And this is exactly why I would only pay $5 for this. It's shamefully incomplete, and it's all about bleeding the fans for every penny. No Who Am I?, no Little Fall of Rain, no Do You Hear the People Sing? (and I'm not talking about the reprise) and, perhaps most egregious, no inclusion of the beautifully orchestrated instrumentals.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:50:28 AM PST
The People's Song was cut from the first act and used to open the 2nd. It didn't get any respect in the movie either.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:42:49 PM PST
10th Anniversary Concert is probably my favorite overall cast as well, and I have four complete recordings. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:57:00 PM PST
Nicole P. says:
Agreed! I went on iTunes looking to buy Do You Hear the People Sing (NOT the epilogue version) and A Little Fall of Rain and was completely disappointed. I guess I'll be waiting for the complete soundtrack, should it ever be released, before buying any of it. In the meantime, I have all the songs from various professional/Broadway productions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:31:01 PM PST
D. Simons says:
Do You Hear the People Sing is a defining moment in this show, to leave it out is a travesty. As is omitting A Little Fall of Rain (my personal favorite). The part in the epilogue is an echo of the earlier song. And not nearly enough.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›